Thread: S10 Rev limiter(seached and found nothing)

S10 Rev limiter(seached and found nothing)

Hi guys...I need help with an old school problem. My friend purchased an S10 with a supercharged small block 355(vortec). It runs awesome until around 4900 to 5 grand then what I assume is a spark rev limiter kicks in...It dies out banging and crackling out the exhaust until you lift off the gas then come right back. We have HPtuners but dont know what to change if anything to raise the rpms a bit, even to 5600 would be better. I did a seach already and didnt find anything leading me in the direction im looking to go. I dont wanna get into changing to much at this time being so new at this. Currently its running the "BlackBox" with a '99 Tahoe tune that looks like has been tuned somewhat for the Magna Charger...maybe. It does differ slightly from a stock tune I found. I realize the black box is old tech but I dont want to change it out until winter. Winters here are long so the truck will be down then for bigger changes. If it was my own truck I'd more likely experiment but its my bff's and hurting it would be bad...lol. We talked to the previous owner but he had no info about the truck because he bought it done and also there was a language barrier, he is french Canadian that doesnt speak much english so some things were lost in translation. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated..
    Dan

Senior Tuner
    There shouldn't be a limiter at 5 grand. From memory, the injector driver limit on those was around 5700, so it should go to that point. Can you post the tune file and a datalog?

I hope I did this correctly, here is the base tune off the truck. I dont have a log yet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmace1970 View Post
    I hope I did this correctly, here is the base tune off the truck. I dont have a log yet
    Does it have any external fuel supply? Maybe an meth injection kit?
    There's no way that the stock poppet injection system will keep up with any significant amount of boost.
    I suspect it's just running out of fuel at higher rpm.

Theres nothing as far as external fuel supply. I seen 6lbs of boost on the gauge and the AFR gauge is around mid 12 to mid 13's when you have your foot in it. I could be totally wrong but it seems to be a spark issue. I reminds me of the rev limited built into the old school Mallory tachs.
    When I run a Datalog is there anything special I should log that will help identify the problem? We def need to tear into this truck to get more concrete info but as I said...winters are long and summers are short, and it runs to good to pull apart now. However it would be nice to get this little issue solved.

Thanks for the response kevin87turbot
    Last edited by Dmace1970; 07-25-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more info