Thread: E38 boosted 6.0/4l80e need help

Potential Tuner

E38 boosted 6.0/4l80e need help

Ok well, I have finally put a car together and I thought I could get a hang of this tuning thing but apparently not LOL... I'm new to the tuning scene and first turbo application.

currently it is a swapped chevelle SS with a ly6? out of a 2008 express van, 226/230 Dur., 113+4, .600/.575, PAC 1218s, flowtech foward facing headers with custom hotside, with the Denmah billet 88/96 1.32 T6 from vsr.
    dual 380 externals with decapped injectors.
    That out of the way I went speed density OS and it ran like crap at idle so I went back to non OS but SD open-loop setup and it is running rich just revving it up, have yet to get it on the road waiting on a driveshaft and some tires. so just sitting in park I've tried to get my afr to communicate with the computer to no avail, in hindsight I should've probably paid for the pro features and connected it that way but I'm just trying to get the car close enough to tow it 3hrs to my nearest dyno.

long-winded but here's my problem in park it'll get up to 4500 and hit a wall as if hitting a 2step or some fuel cut. I've removed all tq managment, I've moved the default trans limit in all gears. I did copy over the injector calibration from sloppywiki. I'm currently trying to smooth my VE table but without my afr communicating it's not showing anything in my histogram.

again I'm new and have 0 experience with hptuners besides this forum and youtube lol so any help would be appreciated.
    heres the log:idle ly6.hpl
    heres the tune:ly6 chevelle non sd.hpt

Senior Tuner
    The injector data isn't correct. Are they the original LY6 injectors that you decapped? Did you have them flowed?

Potential Tuner
    So they are originals yes and negative I wasn't able to

Senior Tuner
    The last set of LY6 decaps that I flowed were around 78 lb/hr. I'm not a fan of the decapped stuff, but I've tuned a few vehicles that were equipped with them.

You won't be able to enter a flowrate above 63 lb/hr on your particular ECM, so you'll have to scale the injectors. The half flowrate/double stoich method is the most simple for your application.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The last set of LY6 decaps that I flowed were around 78 lb/hr. I'm not a fan of the decapped stuff, but I've tuned a few vehicles that were equipped with them.

You won't be able to enter a flowrate above 63 lb/hr on your particular ECM, so you'll have to scale the injectors. The half flowrate/double stoich method is the most simple for your application.
    ok, I think I can do that, or I've seen it done anyways. could that be causing the wall at 3600rpm?

Potential Tuner
    also what with the histograms showing zero throughout?

Potential Tuner
    ok so I moved flow rate multiplier to scale and still alot of the same AFR is at 12.25 while throttling but still hitting that 3700rpm wall thank you for the help so far!
    injecotrs scaled.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Change your top speed limiter source from GM LAN to Calibration and see what affect it has.

Your VE table and your max estimated MAP are maxing out at 105 kPa, that means you when go into boost your are running off the table, hence the wall, the ECM can not calculate anything after 105kPa. You need to rescale your VE table to have additional rows for boost, also your power enrichment is too lean for a boosted motor, you are a long way off from tuning this correctly and there is too much to explain in one forum post. You need to learn more before attempting to tune this, not to be mean but even the basics are not done. Have you installed a 2 or 3 bar map sensor and added it's characteristics to your tune, you will need one for boost?
    Last edited by BigTuner; 07-27-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You will need to increase the max MAP kPa to over the maximum boost level.
    It will certainly need a 2 bar MAP sensor for any significant amount of boost. The OE sensor will max out at 4 psi boost.
    You can simply change your axis on the VVE tables to accommodate either a 2 bar or 3 bar range.
    Just be prepared to do some tuning afterwards.

Potential Tuner
    wired in my AFR to get my histo up, as well as the new 3.5 bar. Again I am brand new so you telling me to learn isn't being mean, I get it lol. I came here because I was doing gen 3 and did a bunch of research on tuning a p59, then bought this gen 4 and now it feels so scary in the e38 setup. So again I am happy to hear all suggestions and willing to listen and learn.

Potential Tuner
    for sure, i got the gm 3.5 bar out of the zr1? i believe. but set up characterstics trying to get afr to communicat through my pids everytime i try to log itll lose the pid. but other than that I'll set up after 105kpa by multiplying by percentage and then interpolating correct?

Senior Tuner
    Did you set up the MAP linear and offset for the 3.5 bar sensor? Be sure to increase the Max MAP kPa to the max allowed 255 value as well.

When you datalog, be sure to remove the 1 bar MAP sensor PID.

Potential Tuner
    I set up linear and offset and maxed the map however didn't know about the pin will do tomorrow