Thread: 32 degrees ambient temp after flash. quick learn?

Tuner in Training

32 degrees ambient temp after flash. quick learn?

I know everyone knows that after a flash/battery disconnect the ambient temp shows 32 degrees and what it normally takes to get it to read correct again. Is there a way to speed up the ambient temp sensor reading after a flash without driving it?

The reason I ask is months ago I randomly did a key on, key off cycle 3 or 4 times after flashing tune changes (idle).. I heard 3 quick chimes and I fired up the truck (2016 Silverado). I noticed the ambient temp went from 32 degrees up to normal temp within 10 or so seconds. All without having to drive it like you normal would. I thought i had figured out something. I logged a bit more idle and flashed those changes and did the same key on, key off cycle just to see and again I heard those 3 chimes and fired the truck up. Within 10-15 seconds the temp was back up to normal. Well for the past few days I'm trying to do it again with no luck. I don't get those 3 chimes and temp stays 32* until I drive it like normal. It either was just coincidence or I'm not doing the same thing i was before. Probably just a coincidence but I figured I would ask.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't found a way around this yet... But I would love to hear if someone has figured this out. Mine always reads double regular ambient immediately after a reflash for that period of driving time, extremely annoying.
    2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Redline Edition

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BDPhoto519 View Post
    I haven't found a way around this yet... But I would love to hear if someone has figured this out. Mine always reads double regular ambient immediately after a reflash for that period of driving time, extremely annoying.
    The ambient temp logic is dependent on how long the car has sat for before it decides if it will auto update to its current reading or it will wait for the vehicle speed to reach over approx 32MPH to start to update.

If it ECM gets reset, no way around the drive cycle to get it to start auto update unless you command it with a scan tool.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    The ambient temp logic is dependent on how long the car has sat for before it decides if it will auto update to its current reading or it will wait for the vehicle speed to reach over approx 32MPH to start to update.

If it ECM gets reset, no way around the drive cycle to get it to start auto update unless you command it with a scan tool.
    Awesome explanation! thanks