Thread: What to change to get the turbo to light off faster

Tuner in Training

What to change to get the turbo to light off faster

Hi all,

I?d like to start a near stock tune, and maybe be one that I?m not frustrated with at the end.
    I?ve got BBi stage 1s (+80ish) injectors in, and it?s been pretty laggy and Smokey since I got them in 17 months ago.
    My hope is to eliminate the lag (and maybe some of the smoke too) versus the stock injectors.
    I?m wondering where to start,. Is it with timing or duration, or is there a combo of both??
    I?d really like to eliminate as many flash?s as I can, considering what happened to Jim P and others with their ECMs being bricked. So it?d be sweet if someone had some guidance they?d offer.

TIA,
    Jon.

To help spooling turbo go in negative timing in medium/high mm3 and low rpm
    you can also add pressure better atomization
    Reduce pulsewidth
    Use some sort of limiter to limit duration until boost come...in my tune i use boost limit
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Tuner in Training
    Get a good log of when you're feeling the lag to see if everything is working properly. Rail pressure etc...
    Running stock tune? What turbo and elevation.

Yeah...post tune/log and givr more details
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Quote Originally Posted by MAIDENCR View Post
    To help spooling turbo go in negative timing in medium/high mm3 and low rpm
    you can also add pressure better atomization
    Reduce pulsewidth
    Use some sort of limiter to limit duration until boost come...in my tune i use boost limit
    Do you have a tune example that we can view to see how you have changed the boost limit table? I am just curious for comparison.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

i remember reading your posts from a while ago, I was going through quite a time with smoke. turned out my block was an 03 and I had 04.5+ injectors in it. just make sure you have the right parts in there. now mine is fantastic barley ever get any smoke
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Quote Originally Posted by guy-ffc View Post
    i remember reading your posts from a while ago, I was going through quite a time with smoke. turned out my block was an 03 and I had 04.5+ injectors in it. just make sure you have the right parts in there. now mine is fantastic barley ever get any smoke
    Yep, I verified the piston type when I pulled the head. Definitely 04.5 up. Thanks for the thought though.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,

10-4 good stuff mine was a bastard to figure out
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDSDiesel View Post
    Hi all,

I?d like to start a near stock tune, and maybe be one that I?m not frustrated with at the end.
    I?ve got BBi stage 1s (+80ish) injectors in, and it?s been pretty laggy and Smokey since I got them in 17 months ago.
    My hope is to eliminate the lag (and maybe some of the smoke too) versus the stock injectors.
    I?m wondering where to start,. Is it with timing or duration, or is there a combo of both??
    I?d really like to eliminate as many flash?s as I can, considering what happened to Jim P and others with their ECMs being bricked. So it?d be sweet if someone had some guidance they?d offer.

TIA,
    Jon.
    Sorry If I overlooked it...
    What year truck? Stock Turbo? Auto? Oversize Tires?
    Not trying to be a wise guy, but some combinations can't be fixed with tuning.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Here's a tune I have been playing with. So far it has gotten rid of the rattle, a fair bit of smoke, and the turbo does light a bit quicker from a stop. The main thing to look at is the boost limit fueling. I think it is defueling a little too much in certain ranges where fuel is needed, so I need to work on that. Keep in mind I have a larger turbo at 10,000ft elevation so I am fighting the smoke and lack of air more than most. Any tune feedback is welcome.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,