Thread: 99 GM 4.8L basic tuning

Tuner in Training

99 GM 4.8L basic tuning

Hello all, I have a 99 GMC 4.8L 5M truck that I have disabled the EGR, plugged the manifold and also bumped the idle rpm up a bit, removed the low OEM speed limiter and disabled rear 02s. I am getting abysmal mpg now with the egr disabled. Is there any way someone from here can get me dialed in? I have a data log of a 6 mile driving loop, cruising, acceleration and WOT all mixed in. Any help and guidance much appreciated!

Post the tune and logs.

Just removing the EGR shouldn't tank the fuel mileage. The 2001+ trucks don't even run EGR's.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have them here, the OG stock tune, slightly tweaked one and the datalog.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FieSTafury; 07-26-2021 at 07:05 PM.

The EGR does add several degrees of timing while at cruising speeds, I would try to add that timing back in to see if it helps.

You could even pull up a 2001-2002 4.8 timing table to see how it differs in timing for area's at cruising rpm/speed. Maybe even just copy that over and see if that helps your fuel mileage.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I thought about doing that, I know the newer ecu is a faster unit and didn't know if the same map was compatible or not. What area should I look/compare to?

1999-2002 are the same computer. Each year just has a different operating system number with newer calibration stuff in it. 2001-2002 being the newest because of the changes made after the 2000 model year trucks.

Look at your stock tune, there is a EGR spark adder table. That is where the EGR is active and adding timing. Then look at your stock high octane timing compared to a newer 2001-2002 timing table to see the difference. You'll probably see that they added timing in many spots at cruising rpm.