Thread: Beginners Help

Tuner in Training

Beginners Help

Hello, my name is Jace. I?m in the process of purchasing HP Tuners and some parts to fix what a shop did to my car. I have a tuner I?ve been speaking with and he will be guiding me along the way. I wondering what computers people are using? I know, I know, just find a computer that has the requirements. But I would love some suggestions from people who didn?t spend a lot ($500 or less) and really have a good computer working for them. This is mainly all it will be used for. I?m not trying to buy the cheapest computer. But im sure some you guys can relate, I?ve just spent all of my money on a shop to fix my car and now I?m going to end up fixing their work. So spending the least amount while getting the best quality I can is where I?m at right now with a computer..
    Any suggestions from anyone. Thank you

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If purchasing new you'll only find a handful between the $400-500 range out there right now, I would say stay away from celeron/pentium based processors and make sure you stay away from Chromebooks(they aren't supported by our products), most new laptops are coming with SSD's now which is great for boot times and honestly our product doesn't need a beast of a setup but a decent i5 or better processor and 4gb or more ram are good starting points.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I use an hp 15-da0014dx that I bought about 3 years ago, and it works really well. It's an i5-8250U CPU, has an SSD hard drive, and 12GB of RAM. Back then, it was about $1200, but I think one similar can be bought for $400-600

Senior Tuner
    I haven't paid more than $200 for any laptop since I started using HP Tuners back in 2004. But my tuning laptops don't get any use other than tuning. I have 3 dedicated to just tuning. They get used 4-5 days a week. No surfing the web or any other use. There are plenty of laptops to be had in the $150-200 range on Craigslist. Usually 3-4 years old since new will get you a laptop fully capable of tuning with HPT. I try and stick with Toshibas and Dell. HPs are just junk and don't hold up. With Dells, try and get a Latitude rather than an Inspiration as they are more business laptops and seem to be built better. I have one Toshiba with Windows 7 that is going on 10 years of use and I've replaced the battery once in that time. If I have one die I just toss it and get another one. You don't need the latest and greatest to tune. Even if they need a battery you can usually pick up a new battery on Amazon for less than $40

Potential Tuner
    Hello! Mr.Bill. I done a tune I want you to look at! I belive it's a safe tune! My air fuel ratio is from 11-14. Stock 6.2 long tube headers air intake catch can and 40 series flow masters.As soon as I get home I will send you the tune..Let me know what I could do to make it better! If possible! Or what other changes I need to make...

Tuner
    Jace, I bought an Acer from Staples for around $250 with Windows 10 that seems to work well with the MPVI2 and the VCM Suite.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all the reply’s guys. Really looking forward to this process. I didn’t even know there was a hp tuners forum until this morning. This is great.