Thread: Wont Idle Please help

Tuner in Training

Wont Idle Please help

I have tried following the sticked guide on how to tune the idle but nothing is the same/working like the guide says it should.
    I am still on step one after turning off all adaptive idle spark and airflow tables.
    I cannot get the truck to respond to any changes, I do not understand what is controlling the idle even with all of the adaptive idle stuff turned off. with the factory tune it starts great, runs great until about 30 seconds after running and then just shuts off instantly after surging a few times.
    I have a log of trying to start it to "find the optimal idle spark" but my scanner doesn't show directional control for the spark like it does p01 computers. I can only add negative spark, not positive and it only works for about 30 seconds then the scanner becomes non-responsive in its controls.

Build is mild,
    364 SBE
    823 heads
    BTR stg2 truck cam
    30lbs injectors

I can get the old computers to idle great in any scenario but this e38 is giving me hell. No matter what changes i do, it always fights back. I got it to idle pretty well by turning everything off and doing just the minimal percent, but it didnt handle transitions well, and with adaptive stuff turned back on even multiplied stock values by .5 multiple times, it just surges like crazy and then dies after 3-5 times of idle dropping low then going really high.
    I have tried following the guide but i cant get past the first part, i do not understand: How do i 'find the best ignition value" if the dang thing wont run/idles at 2k?
    I tried adding idle airflow minimum but all it does it make it stay at 3grand.
    someone please help me, i have read so many guides but always get stuck at the beginning because they say their truck 'idles good at _blank_" but this one wont idle at all.
    I have attached the tune that was in the middle of me following the guide, and a log of it acting really stupid.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Take the throttle body off and clean it front side and back side spotless then do a throttle clean reset with the scanner. Then put everything back to stock except the new injector data. A BTR S2 truck cam will almost idle on the stock tune with just bumping up the idle speed 100 rpm across the whole table. especially in a 6.0L. Shouldn't have to add more than 1.5-2 g/sec to the base running idle table. cut the idle over/under speed spark tables in half. I cant look at your tune or log but did you input all the correct data for the injectors? If it doesn't idle after doing that then you have some other issues. It takes air to idle at 2K.

Tuner in Training
    Okay I will do that, no problem. Thank you for replying.
    I have gotten much bigger cams to idle with stock programs before, I thought something may be up.
    So on my list to do ive got:
    -Clean Throttle Body
    -Clean Throttle Reset with scanner.
    -Take Stock tune (truck was originally a 5.3, do i just change the displacement to 6.0 and continue forward?) and add injector data to it.
    -increase idle speed to 100rpm
    -add 2 grams/second to base running idle table
    -multiple over and underspeed tables by .5

thank you so much. this is what my usual procedure should be, i will check for some obvious vacuum leaks and then try again.

Senior Tuner
    Well you didn't mention it was a 5.3 tune running a 60 motor. So is everything off the 5.3 being used except the short block and the cam? Manifolds, heads, throttle body? Yes at least change the cyl volume to .75. It still is going to need to be tuned after all that. I'm just saying with those few changes it should at least idle. If not you probably have some other mechanical or electrical issues or a vacuum leak.

Tuner in Training
    I have changed the displacement from one engine size to the other a few times, but its all been on p01 computers and operating systems. I have a tune for the truck that runs really well partial throttle and WOT but i never got the idle right, so i went back to stock and tried again. I have always done the cylinder displacement change, my apologies for not mentioning it.

its a 364 stock bottem end
    823 heads
    4 bolt truck intake and throttle body.
    injectors are 12580681.

So if the engine wont idle (steady, stock like) even after trying to get it to with base idle airflow and adaptive routines edited, then something is physically wrong.(?) I thought a vacuum leak as well but that's so vague in my mind and didnt want to just assume somthing was wrong incase i had forgotten something in the software. I will work on the truck so more in the next few days and see if any progress is made.

Senior Tuner
    There are several problems that you're fighting.

Your injector characterization data isn't correct.
    The engine displacement isn't correct.
    Your VVE tables are stock.
    The timing tables are populated with 18 degrees throughout.
    Adaptive idle is mucked up.

Try this:
    1. Go to Engine>Airflow>Dynamic tab and lower the High rpm disable/re-enable to 400/300 respectively.
    2. Return Spark tables to stock values.
    3. Return idle adapts to stock values.
    4. Go to Engine>Idle>Airflow and increase the startup airflow by 35%.
    5. Go to Engine Diag>Airflow tab and change Min ECT for P0101 to 256, and change Airflow Correlation RPM from 800 to 8000.
    6. Go to Engine Diag>Misfire tab and change Min misfire detection enable to 2500 rpm.
    7. Correct the injector data.

You'll like the idle much better after making these changes.