Thread: Newby help appreciated

Potential Tuner

Question Newby help appreciated

Hello everyone,

2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT with a 5.3 (VIN 3) Engine (NO VSS)

Parts Installed:

Cam: Stage 2 LS Truck Swap Cam, 218/227 112+2, .522/.524 Lift
    Lifters: LS7 and guides
    AFM OIL DEFLECTOR SHIELD
    LS-2 VALLEY COVER
    OIL PUMP AND PICKUP
    THERMOSTAT 160 DEG
    Brian Tooley One-Piece Pushrods
    CAM GEAR CHANGE KIT
    ACDelco Iridium Spark Plugs

The vehicle runs but not a good throttle response like before, almost feels like it has to catch up to itself. Idle has a slight lope to it.

I know I will need to get disable DOD and get rid of the DOD codes all of which I am not sure how to do yet as I just ordered my device. and not sure if the computer is in some sort of fail mode because of the DOD codes, but if anyone could help with the following it would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know What is the recommended settings for this camshaft? or where I should start.
    I would like to remove the speed limitation.
    I would like to bring the shifts in slightly harder.
    I would like to bring the cooling fans on at 165, 170

Thanks in advance
    PoolPro
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, the DoD must be turned off and codes disabled for it to want to run better.

It's going to take a decent amount of time to dial in the airflow model so that fueling is good for idle and while under load. There are no "do this" or "do that" type things here to just make it work. The engine is going to tell you what it wants. The data logger and a aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor for tuning will tell you most of this. Of course you need to know what is happening to understand it.

The speed limiter can be raised but your driveshaft is not rated to go above 100mph, bad things could happen.

Making the shifts firmer and faster is very possible.

Making the fans come on that soon would require a operating system change if available and that is a whole another thing in itself.

There are few guys here that do remote tuning if you aren't up for the hours, days, months this could take you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes, the DoD must be turned off and codes disabled for it to want to run better.

It's going to take a decent amount of time to dial in the airflow model so that fueling is good for idle and while under load. There are no "do this" or "do that" type things here to just make it work. The engine is going to tell you what it wants. The data logger and a aftermarket wideband oxygen sensor for tuning will tell you most of this. Of course you need to know what is happening to understand it.

The speed limiter can be raised but your driveshaft is not rated to go above 100mph, bad things could happen.

Making the shifts firmer and faster is very possible.

Making the fans come on that soon would require a operating system change if available and that is a whole another thing in itself.

There are few guys here that do remote tuning if you aren't up for the hours, days, months this could take you.
    Thank you for your quick response 5FDP, I know i am in for it and expect it, every car i ever built was carbs and MSD except for my grand national. Fixed cars for 30+ years so i know what i am in for. I am just new to this tunner stuff, as a matter of fact i ordered my pro kit friday to find out the came out with the pro+ today, never shiped mine out but lets see what they send.

so the cooling fans are under the operating system of the PCM? if thats the case ill have to figure something out. but will leave it alone for now. Not looking for really hard shifts just to tighten it up allitle. but where would i start.

Thanks again
    PoolPro

Senior Tuner
    When the DOD solenoid codes set, the ECM will not fire the injectors on those 4 cylinders. I would suggest not running it at all until you disable the DOD and the codes since it will be only running on 4 cylinders. Most OS will ignore the codes just setting the DOD to disable but set the codes to No Error anyway.

Potential Tuner

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    When the DOD solenoid codes set, the ECM will not fire the injectors on those 4 cylinders. I would suggest not running it at all until you disable the DOD and the codes since it will be only running on 4 cylinders. Most OS will ignore the codes just setting the DOD to disable but set the codes to No Error anyway.
    Thanks, I only ran this to make sure no leaks at idle. I knew the DOD thing was limp modeing the PCM.

Potential Tuner
    OK so I have the DOD taken care of, Runs ok, missing that crisp throttle response, also at idle I get every cylinder miss firing, Miss fires go away when i take it off idle and has a stumble to it on idle.

Raise the idle rpm to like 750-800rpm to smooth it out while you figure stuff out.

The throttle won't be snappy when it's basically completely untuned.

At a minimum it's going to want a touch more base running airflow. Idle timing will be roughly around 20ish degrees. You'll need to cut the under/over speed spark correction tables in the spark timing tab way back to help smooth out the idle as well. The factory calibrations allow for like -20 to +20 degrees or higher of spark swing, you are only going to want around 8-10 +/-. Do that for both park and in gear settings.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you, I Will do this tomorrow, Is the vehicle drivable at this point while i figure everything out? as it is going to take me some time to go through all the posts here. also is that the CATs that smell that bad, think i read that somewhere

I wouldn't daily drive it that if that is what you are asking, there is a lot to fix to make it all good. It won't drive that well or I should say behave like you would want it too. Fuel mileage probably won't be great either.

If you are having misfires, that is going to make the exhaust smell bad because it's just raw/unburnt fuel being sent into the exhaust. The cat converters can only do so much and if it was driving/idled with continued misfires that will ruin the cats.