Thread: Stock ECU Tune on 1999 L29 454

Tuner in Training

Stock ECU Tune on 1999 L29 454

I don't know if this is the right place to post if not someone will direct me please as I'm new to this Forum.

I just had a rebuild done on my L29 engine and had a mild towing cam installed and was told that I would need to have a tune put on it.

I just want to make it reliable easy to fix on the road so I found someone who will tune the stock ECU for me and was trying to see if there was someone that help me with a Stock ECU tune.

I have already considered a 411 swap but I would like to keep it a close to stock as I can with only a few mods Already done: no Cats, Towing Cam, Bosch injectors (5,0 motorsports) MSD Cap, rotor & Coil.

Any ideas?

These guys priced it at $250 for the tune and add $200 for a new ECU

https://pcmperformance.com/

I haven't done any tuning but willing to learn.

So you got this engine with no ECM?
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    So you got this engine with no ECM?
    I have had this truck since 2006 and @ 217,000 the engine spun two rod and two main bearings so pulled it out and a complete rebuild done at a local engine shop and it is mainly stock and with the stock ECU that came with the truck.

Okay. Do you have HP Tuners now?

If so there are guys here that do remote tuning. You read your ECM, send them your file. they tune and send back.
    There is also a lot of support here to Tune it yourself. Don't get me wrong it takes time to really learn, I still am.

For your Mods the only thing that concerns me is your Injectors and if they have the correct data supplied with them. That data is the common denominator for fuel calculations, if its off everything else is too.
    If you have good data the rest of your Mods are pretty minor adjustments.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Thanks found a local shop that uses HP Tuners they going to set me up with a tuner and dyno time and the first they said I need to get done is have the injectors flowed before I have it tuned good advice I think.

I will post the results from the tune.

Senior Tuner
    Don't waste any money on those stock L29 injectors. Get a set of Ford yellow top 19 lb injectors from a 4.6L and throw the stock ones in the trash.

Tuner in Training
    Injectors have already been replaced with Bosch four hole injectors from 5,0 motorsports about Five years ago because of the running issue
    I’m now having Intake backfiring under load their suggestion was to have them flow tested to make sure one of them was not bad. This is a fresh complete rebuild all parts replace with new except injectors that is all new sensors new distributor MSD Rotor and coil.

Tuner in Training
    Just ordered the MVPI2+ with the universal credits that I will need.

Question, What is the differences in the MVPI2 and the MVPI2+?

Remember I'm new to tuning but have done SCCA Club racing.

I think it will be very interesting to see what the stock tune looks like
    1999 K2500 Suburban L29 7.4 216,000 on original engine lost oil pressure.
    Almost 7,000 on complete rebuild with a mild Comp Cam.