Thread: Stock Edelbrock read from stage 1 eForce 4.6l 3V

Potential Tuner

Stock Edelbrock read from stage 1 eForce 4.6l 3V

Does anyone have a read of the stock Edelbrock tune for the eForce stage 1 on a 4.6l 3V? I'm going to install on my 2006 Mustang GT and would like a baseline to start from.

Advanced Tuner
    Verify but I think this one is stock. Make sure your MAF and injectors match to start.

08 edelbrock charger.hpt

Also read this thread: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...some-direction

I have posted some tuning tools in there as well as some tips on how to proceed.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you very much for the tips. I have collected 3 or 4 supposed stock eForce tunes now, and no two are the same. They vary wildly in MAF and differ in injector calibration too (I think some may be stage 2). If I can find some reliable injector data, I can start there and calibrate MAF.

Advanced Tuner
    What are the numbers printed on the injectors, can most likely get you the data. Measure the maf, compare it to stock, find the area difference, figure out the multiplier and apply it to your entire stock maf table, that will get you started.

Potential Tuner
    B E N, I think the injectors are made by Bosch. The injector markings are as follows:

0 280 158 085
    7-18-07-18-013204

I tired to upload a picture, but it doesn't work.
    Last edited by dvavaroutsos; 07-29-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    quick google search shows they are 40lb stock northstar injectors. Set both slopes to 40 and dial it in from there.

Advanced Tuner
    Like Decipha said, they are Caddy injectors. You won't get Ford data for them easily. I have no idea what tuning for injectors looks like on a non-stock combo.

Tuner in Training
    B E N, my son finally got the kit installed. There were quite a few fitment problems and we had to make a throttle body spacer to get the throttle body installed (all Edelbrock parts from kit, so I really don't understand this one).

Anyhow, we put a baseline tune on and it started first crank. It was running rich, but sounded pretty good. After is warmed up a bit, we shut it off to check the coolant levels before collecting more data. This is where things got interesting. When starting warm, it would start, but die after a few seconds. I can't figure out what's causing it, but the spark timing looks strange. Spark control goes from cranking, to cold start, to MBT (not always), then to idle feedback. Idle feedback adds a lot of advance that I haven't seen before, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. It's the only thing that really stands out.

Attached is the tune, cold start log, warm start log, and a cold start log from before the eforce kit was installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vavaroutsos; 08-14-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Vacuum leak is more than likely the problem. Go in and make sure everything is right and tight. That throttle body spacer seems like the place to look. I am confused about the need for this as well, but if it isn't gasket/o-ringed on both sides, and machined flat on the o-ring side I would bet it is your culprit.

Tuner in Training
    B E N, we had to make a 1/2" throttle body spacer because the TPS was hitting the water crossover. There is only 1/8" clearance now with the spacer in. We made gaskets for both sides of the spacer.

I found some crazy values in the idle spark advance/gain vs ect table. I have corrected these and we are testing it now to see if it corrects the warm start and strange spark advance I was seeing. Looks like this fixed the warm start issue.

Now we are working on fixing the fueling. The injector calibration looks close, but the MAF is off. The MAF curve has a few kinks and is off at low values. We setup the wideband and started adjusting it from low values up but ran into problems. Once boost starts to kick in, the torque source changes from driver demand to ETC FMEM. The engine is running fine, and fueling is spot on, when this error calls for negative torque and kills it. All of the torque management and IPC stuff is disabled. We have spent most of the day trying to figure out what causes this error, or how to disable it, with no progress.
    Last edited by vavaroutsos; 08-14-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-driver-demand

Throttle body harness or MAF size.

Use the channels posted in the other thread and calibrate your maf using the MAF error channel. Smooth the entire curve once or twice every time you make adjustments, it will pull in to spec. It may take a couple drives. Just run around trying to fill the cells. Stop when you get them filled, make changes, drive more. Make sure you are viewing averages not min or max values.

Tuner in Training
    We set the IPC Wheel Torque Error Max to 500,000 and this took care of the IPC error. I don't understand what IPC ROM Switch and IPC ROM Enable do as it seems IPC Wheel Torque Error Max was still playing a role even though the prior were both disabled.

Then we calibrated the MAF and made some adjustments to the idle dashpot and a few other things and it's running well. We made quite a few pulls to calibrate the MAF and fueling looks pretty good. The IPC torque error stays pretty close to zero except for during rapid throttle transients. No time to work on IPC anymore, or speed density (hopefully the baseline isn't way off), as my son is leaving for school in AZ tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    IPC is really a non issue, if you are getting low errors and have it set that high it won't ever trip, it seems to be an error over time value rather than a straight accumulation of error. A lot of the tuning you are into now is just drive around tweaking and perfecting anyhow, something he could do with a laptop. Run to the grocery store, datalog, make changes, drive home, datalog make changes. There will be some little oddities that happen during regular driving you would never hit on the dyno. Especially as weather changes.

Cold start table is competley off after installed my eforce.
    I had to correct it again and again.

Stock File Edelbrocksctfileedelbrock.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files