Thread: f250 6.2 Tuning for cam swap

Tuner in Training

f250 6.2 Tuning for cam swap

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with tuning a super duty with the 6.2 and the livernois head and cams package. it is not a possibility of me shipping my truck to Michigan to have them tune the truck and they will not remote tune it. truck runs and drivers fine but there seems to be no gain in power from the swap. Truck was tuned by a local tuner who doesn't have any experience with these trucks and cam swaps. he did a good job of finding with a long tube header swap and finding power. He just doesnt get super dutys in to be tuned.

Tuner in Training
    i received my MPVI2+ and have been just looking around the options. it looks like the commanded timing at WOT is 26* however the most i see at WOT is 19*. any suggestions on what i should be looking at for the possible reduction?

cylinder pressure limit or preignition most likely

Advanced Tuner
    Log spark source, see what is commanding timing. Log knock as well.

Actually, log all PID that have the word source in them. That way we can figure out what limits you are hitting.

Tuner in Training
    sorry for the delay in getting the data log, computer died. i have attached the current setup of the truck along with a data log from today. please let me know if they are helpful or i should log something else.

some more specs on the truck incase it will be helpful. the truck is a 2016 f250 6.2. it has an S&B intake, ported oem throttle body- from 80mm to 84mm, livernois ported cylinder heads, livernois cams -specs are .585"/.585" of lift/ duration at .050" 218/237/ lobe center is 114.5, upgraded valve springs, rocker arm braces, cam phaser limiters, stainless works long tube headers and magnaflow catback. truck also has a 4.88 gear swap and i run 93 octane.

f250.hpt
    21-08-30 16-43-50.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Your getting some knock retard at full throttle up to 6.3?, you can see as load increases (shifting gears) you get more knock retard. So one of the problems may be lack of octane, is E85 an option? You might try commanding 0.80 lambda in these areas instead of 0.82 and see if it gets any better.

I think you need to do some throttle body tuning, add throttle angle error to the log.

Tuner in Training
    i will try the fuel changes. i do have a can of boostane professional i can put in the tank. i did also enable VCT which was disabled. the phaser limit the cam movement so valve to piston contact is prevented. the truck drives a little smoother now. im also not sure if its a placebo effect but the truck seems to pull better in the mid and upper rpms.
    Last edited by akley88; 08-31-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I think you're missing flex fuel tables in Spark Advance Tab, Fuel Tab and Flex Fuel Tabs.

Your truck is commanding 12 to 19 degrees WOT. Your final spark advance possible after modifiers and knock sensors would be the 26* you're seeing in MBT spark table. Well IPC Spark Max is limiting you to 25*.

Disable Torque Intervention in Torque Management > General.
    In the same tab next to that table is Scheduled Torque Max, Multiply by 1.25.
    Torque Max vs. RPM set to 700 ft lbs in all cells.

Your cams are being limited to 0*. In Max Phasing Limit RPM > Intake Cam in the VCT tab. Set to 18*.

f250flexfuel.PNG

Tuner in Training
    could the lack of flex fuel tables be do to ecu changes or something i should reach out to HP Tuners?

As far as the cams limit that might have been to the tuner being cautious with the cam swap.

Advanced Tuner
    If the truck wasn't a flex fuel truck to begin with you have to add them yourself. Just grab a stock tune from a truck of that year and copy the flex fuel values.

Tuner in Training
    all the super duty 6.2s are supposed to be flex fuel. guess i should find a stock file to compare.
    Last edited by akley88; 09-01-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    tried getting a log with some of the changes suggested but its raining and having traction issues. will have to try again on a dry day.

21-09-01 12-27-01.hpl

Tuner in Training
    any suggestions on where to find a stock 2016 f250 6.2 file with the missing flex fuel tables

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    any suggestions on where to find a stock 2016 f250 6.2 file with the missing flex fuel tables
    You can't add them in yourself. You have to open a support ticket. Certain parameters will only be added upon request if they're available. Your flex fuel tab is blank compared to most.

https://support.hptuners.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 09-06-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Tuner in Training
    i filed a request but it seems that these tables are not available in my year truck
    Last edited by akley88; 09-10-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did your stock file get lost?

Tuner in Training
    no but HPT is going to look into seeing if the tables that a 6.2 raptor has for flex fuel can be made available for my OS.

Tuner in Training
    HPT was able to add some of the flex fuel tables in the Beta software. waiting to see if the blending vs ethanol % can be added