Thread: HELP! car jumping out of MP OP during WOT

Potential Tuner

HELP! car jumping out of MP OP during WOT

I'm at my wits ends, i've been battling this issue for almost a month now since installing a 20' manifold. I've tried so many changes in my tune... torque tables/ inverse changes, driver demanded, max torque tables etc etc etc.... same thing every time.

I'll floor it, it'll start to ramp up in MP OP.. then all of a sudden it feels like it pulls 35% power away around 3200-3500rpms and then kinda starts over ramping up until redline. It does it in every gear. Looking at my logs, it's falling out of MP OP and dropping into MP0 for some reason. the VCT for the cams drops to zero. this all goes on for a second or three, then everything kinda picks back up where it should have been around 4500-4850rpms and pulls almost as it should. I don't know what is going on, it happens with stock intake and exhaust valve closing angles.... i've played around with ALL SORTS of differents closing and opening angles from different tunes i've picked up around the forums here or the depository. SAME THING, EVERY TIME. cannot make a full WOT pull whatsoever. Doesn't matter if i start around 2000rpms, the drop is in the same timeframe as if i start a pull around 4000rpms. One of the senior guys im sure will figure this out in 30 seconds. But i've tried reading the forums, searching my issues, trying a million different things... all to have the same issue and just a greatly altered tune (which I ultimately just change back to stockish when it doesn't help)

I'll throw in there that when the shop installed the one piece, someone bent my exhaust and now the xpipe is super close to the body... I'm positive it's causing false knock issues throughout. I get the same counts with stock timing maps. I've got a new set of pipes on the way and that portion will be solved.

List of mods include:
    JLT intake
    2020 intake manifold
    bbk off road x pipe
    over the axle pipes
    flowmaster hushpower axle backs
    1 piece drive shaft
    adjustable upper and lower control arms
    Mcleod RST twin ( makes a CRAP ton of noise from 1500-1900rpms )

Here is my tune....
    GOING BACK, CURRENT SHITBOX TUNE.hpt

Here is a 3rd gear pull with the dead spot in the middle. Also a 3rd and 4th gear pull
    crap pull.hpl

3rd gear dead middle pull.hpl
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Macman14; 07-30-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Definitley return your Borderline and MBT Spark tables back to stock. The car won't run too well with them set up like that.

Disable the Oscillation Switch in the torque tab.

In the Variable Cam Tab, Disable Op Enrichment Required.

Record another log using these channels to get a little more data.
    Macman-s197-channels.Channels.xml

I haven't seen this happen before. But you're missing one of the VCT Channels I have in the list above
    I have a shitbox test tune how i set a lot of my tunes. There is alot of changes. You can use compare and right click to copy all the tables over instead of going one by one. Copy the transmission torque management tables as well. The whole file. It might fall out of a threshold. I'm not sure what exactly all you tried, but this will have a lot of what you haven't tried. It seems mechanical, but they transition, rest, transition.

Test-shitbox-tune.hpt
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 07-30-2021 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added more

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Definitley return your Borderline and MBT Spark tables back to stock. The car won't run too well with them set up like that.

Disable the Oscillation Switch in the torque tab.

In the Variable Cam Tab, Disable Op Enrichment Required.

Record another log using these channels to get a little more data.
    Macman-s197-channels.Channels.xml

I haven't seen this happen before. But you're missing one of the VCT Channels I have in the list above
    I have a shitbox test tune how i set a lot of my tunes. There is alot of changes. You can use compare and right click to copy all the tables over instead of going one by one. Copy the transmission torque management tables as well. The whole file. It might fall out of a threshold. I'm not sure what exactly all you tried, but this will have a lot of what you haven't tried. It seems mechanical, but they transition, rest, transition.

Test-shitbox-tune.hpt
    The changes in your test tune did the trick. I really wish i wouldn't have tried figuring it out on my own for a dang month before speaking up here. Thanks for your help brother

Here's getting on the interstate 2nd and 3rd. Looks like load wasn't getting logged, so histograms aren't working. But it pulled all the way through as it should.

2 gear pull.hpl
    Last edited by Macman14; 07-30-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I spoke too soon, this morning right after cranking up before the car gets to heat soaked it would let me do a pull. Now when I left work for lunch and tried it's pulling power again, I will get you some logs this evening when I leave work

Potential Tuner
    newest pull.hpl

Here is a prime example, and i logged it with your channels. GOD I HOPE you can figure this out white 5.0.

As you see, ramp up a second or two ..... VCT scheduled goes disabled, cams all go back to 0... timing falls to MP0 for a second or 4, it stumbles between optimum power and disabled for a second or 4, then VCT comes back alive, cam angles go back to where they should have been all along and goes back to making power and pulling hard. If ONLY I could figure out what the hell is making it disable the scheduled VCT.... as that's when it drops maps.

Here's the tune after all your changes.
    base tune PULLS HARD fail safe revert to.hpt
    Last edited by Macman14; 07-30-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Again this morning, getting on the interstate the car pulls like a train. Only happens once it's hot af outside.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman14 View Post
    newest pull.hpl

Here is a prime example, and i logged it with your channels. GOD I HOPE you can figure this out white 5.0.

As you see, ramp up a second or two ..... VCT scheduled goes disabled, cams all go back to 0... timing falls to MP0 for a second or 4, it stumbles between optimum power and disabled for a second or 4, then VCT comes back alive, cam angles go back to where they should have been all along and goes back to making power and pulling hard. If ONLY I could figure out what the hell is making it disable the scheduled VCT.... as that's when it drops maps.

Here's the tune after all your changes.
    base tune PULLS HARD fail safe revert to.hpt
    I've never seen VCT disable like this with out showing some kind of sign to why. There are no temperature thresholds for OP. In your 2nd gear pull datalog, it still shows VCT disabling in the log. I use the air load channel for load, its logged.

As a last option, I'd copy over every table from the file I posted. Copy Borderline, MBT tables as well. "System" tab, "Trans" tab. Fan speeds.

Your logs show very advanced timing, knock retard, tip in and still shows oscillation even with the oscilation switch disabled. In your "crap pull" log, it shows you hit RPM Limiter at 6800RPM but your limiters are set to 7500.

I've compared your strategy to the one I'm editing and sending you. I've also compared it to some different strategies for missing tables. Having parameters set-up incorrect can cause strange things. I've only had VCT disable when hitting the rev limiter.

In spark advance, zero out Tip-in modifier. The strat I'm using has a different paramter for tip-in.

The OP Borderline and OP MBT I'm putting in test shitbox tune 2 is not stock. It's good, safe timing for 91 octane FBO and you can run that timing in the OP tables only. You can see how advanced your timing is compared to what I added in. I don't think the KR you have is false knock, i think your timing is too much at low RPM. The rest of the spark tables in my file are stock but copy them over too. Your spark tables should not really have the same values. Normally when people use the same timing for all tables their timing is not near as advanced timing as what you have. The changing airflow, air load, fuel, cylinder conditions, etc, from the cams transitioning will need different timing depending on how aggressive the cam angles are.

If it ends up still disabling VCT, I'd run a scanner or check for a mechanical issue. This more of a test for you to rule out the tune being the issue. Some of the tables I have in my file are stock.
    Alot of time is wasted trying to tune out a mechanical issue.

I don't even run OP tables on my first gen and my OP/VCT is full functioning. Could be mechanical, maybe some kind of glitch or error.

Test-shitbox-tune-2.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Doing these changes, will report back tomorrow after the ride to work.

Advanced Tuner
    Only glanced at log and thread: When's the last time you changed your oil and/or are you running a different weight? If your oil is very thin cause the engine is hot, oil is old, etc. and the VCT system can't keep up due to lack of pressure, it can go into Disabled mode. Seems like a threshold is definitely being crossed or something isn't functioning perfectly for it to Disable like that. Goes away at higher rpms where there would be more oil pressure and it can keep up.

I'll check thread tomorrow.. off to bed!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Only glanced at log and thread: When's the last time you changed your oil and/or are you running a different weight? If your oil is very thin cause the engine is hot, oil is old, etc. and the VCT system can't keep up due to lack of pressure, it can go into Disabled mode. Seems like a threshold is definitely being crossed or something isn't functioning perfectly for it to Disable like that. Goes away at higher rpms where there would be more oil pressure and it can keep up.

I'll check thread tomorrow.. off to bed!
    You and I were on the same wavelength yesterday. Figured I'd found a couple errors the shop made, I better check EVERYTHING. Guess what, they gave my car back to me with 4 quarts of oil in it. FOUR QUARTS!!! I don't believe they even had a reason to drain any oil to do a clutch swap and install a 1 piece driveshaft. So that makes me wonder what the hell they did and why. I was so angry when i saw this I couldn't even reply yesterday. Filled it back up the other 4 quarts it was missing......... Car pulls like a freight train. Thank you guys for brainstorming with me and I apologize for mistaking the tune for the problem.

So they bent my exhaust using my resonator as a jack point, making my Xpipe hit the body of my car....
    Ripped one of my rear O2 sensor's wiring clean off, didn't tell me and just left the dead sensor in the bung (thank God it was an unneeded rear)
    Flashed the stock tune back on my car for no apparent good reason, so I had to retune my car again completely. Probably trying to fix the CEL the dead O2 was throwing.
    Gave my vehicle back with half the required oil supply needed.

Such a "reputable" shop too lol.

If you're ever in Pensacola, AVOID XXX Performance like the Covid-19 Plague my friends~~~~~!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    I've never seen VCT disable like this with out showing some kind of sign to why. There are no temperature thresholds for OP. In your 2nd gear pull datalog, it still shows VCT disabling in the log. I use the air load channel for load, its logged.

As a last option, I'd copy over every table from the file I posted. Copy Borderline, MBT tables as well. "System" tab, "Trans" tab. Fan speeds.

Your logs show very advanced timing, knock retard, tip in and still shows oscillation even with the oscilation switch disabled. In your "crap pull" log, it shows you hit RPM Limiter at 6800RPM but your limiters are set to 7500.

I've compared your strategy to the one I'm editing and sending you. I've also compared it to some different strategies for missing tables. Having parameters set-up incorrect can cause strange things. I've only had VCT disable when hitting the rev limiter.

In spark advance, zero out Tip-in modifier. The strat I'm using has a different paramter for tip-in.

The OP Borderline and OP MBT I'm putting in test shitbox tune 2 is not stock. It's good, safe timing for 91 octane FBO and you can run that timing in the OP tables only. You can see how advanced your timing is compared to what I added in. I don't think the KR you have is false knock, i think your timing is too much at low RPM. The rest of the spark tables in my file are stock but copy them over too. Your spark tables should not really have the same values. Normally when people use the same timing for all tables their timing is not near as advanced timing as what you have. The changing airflow, air load, fuel, cylinder conditions, etc, from the cams transitioning will need different timing depending on how aggressive the cam angles are.

If it ends up still disabling VCT, I'd run a scanner or check for a mechanical issue. This more of a test for you to rule out the tune being the issue. Some of the tables I have in my file are stock.
    Alot of time is wasted trying to tune out a mechanical issue.

I don't even run OP tables on my first gen and my OP/VCT is full functioning. Could be mechanical, maybe some kind of glitch or error.

Test-shitbox-tune-2.hpt

I am running your tune now, and I love the way it drives. Thank you again for all your help, and glad this is to an end. To anyone that ever has this issue in the future, CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL
    Last edited by Macman14; 08-02-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    No problem dude. I knew it had to be oil related. Didn't think about 4 quarts LOW though, holy sh!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if there was some damage somewhere to the engine in the moments it was lacking oil. Hope you video documented it or put something in writing to that shop.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results