Thread: Idle Adaptives Help

Idle Adaptives Help

I am having continued difficulty getting the idle adaptives to keep a steady idle. Most importantly, in my case, I need the proportional corrections to be aggressive enough to catch falling idle when putting in gear, and need integral corrections to find new desired idle airflow when going in and out of gear. I also need both of these corrections to be relaxed enough to not cause an unstable swinging idle. Achieving both of these tasks simultaneously has proven to be extremely difficult... I have flashed 50 or so tunes today making corrections to prop and int airflow values and their deadband, and have not found the proper balance yet. I have the adaptive spark values on the slightly aggressive end of the spectrum, and this helps to keep idle from swaying too aggressively from airflow corrections, although it is still too unstable for my liking. No matter what I have tried, with adaptive spark turned off in the scanner, idle always begins swaying aggressively, eventually reaching +/- 500 rpm. I need these tables to work in this manner as I am running a manual VB trans with set line pressure, and have no p/n safety switch, so I am unable to take advantage of P/N and In Gear airflow adder/subtractor tables. With very aggressive proportional settings (2.5x stock with 12rpm deadband), when putting trans in gear, there is very minimal rpm drop and stock integral settings are able to dial in new desired idle airflow efficiently with only a few slight dips and jumps, but idle will not surprisingly only stay stable for about 10 seconds before proportional tables begin over-correcting... Also, relaxed airflow settings with aggressive spark correction is not capable of doing the job, as rpms will still drop very low even with spark correction, as airflow is the only thing that keeps rpms constant... If anyone thinks they have a possible solution to this problem, and have a way for the adaptive idle to quickly respond to changing airflow needs without overcorrecting... I would greatly appreciate your input because I am quite frustrated For reference, my setup likes 1.75-1.8 lb/min in P/N and 2.15-2.2 in gear. Also, I got fairly close with these tables a few times, but turning on AC is enough to cause extreme instability...

Cam Specs at .050":

235/248 .649/.615 111 LSA 109.5 ICL

Advertised Duration (.006"):

292/301

Most recent Log and tune for reference:
    Idle issues 2.hptidle issues 2.hpl

Side note: I often get a flashing check engine light at idle, but the dtc scanner doesn't pick it up, anyone have any idea about that?
    Last edited by Nick912; 07-30-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    its very hard to get the adaptive to be spot on without the use of spark as they are too slow to act where spark is the instant add/remove torque, your VT will be way off from that camshaft at idle also which means your idle follower torque will be way off and that is prob what u are chasing as well, your engine torque is around the 80nm at idle and your follower torque is looking for 14nm so its always going to pull torque to correct for it then cause itself to go into error with the airflow corrections then, either have to adjust the VT so it is close to the follower numbers or adjust the follower so its closer to the engine torque numbers, once thats better it should help but either way u are going to need spark to help out

Tuner
    A flashing MIL at idle with no DTCs set could be misfire at idle. Anytime the MIL starts flashing means the engine controls have "decided" something (in this case perhaps misfire) is causing emissions to be 1.5x what is normal.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.