Thread: Question about licensing

Potential Tuner

Question about licensing

I downloaded the VCM Suite software and spent a few hours reviewing all the functions available. I am going to purchase this software but have a question about licensing. I just purchased Painless Performance PCM 60711 and am using it for a 5.7LS engine swap in my 1985 K10 Silverado. I don't know what this PCM has loaded as far as a VIN number since it is a new after market PCM. How would this be treated in the licensing process?
    Thanks,
    Bobb77

They probably just loaded it with a base file from something that came with a LS1 engine. Like a camaro or firebird, so it's likely that it has a VIN from one of those to make the PCM function.

I googled it, Summit racing says a LS1 camaro is what it is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

Question about Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    They probably just loaded it with a base file from something that came with a LS1 engine. Like a camaro or firebird, so it's likely that it has a VIN from one of those to make the PCM function.

I googled it, Summit racing says a LS1 camaro is what it is.
    Just heard from Painless Performance and there is NO VIN in the VIN field. I need HP Tuners to advise as to whether I can Read the PCM file, edit the VIN field (enter my VIN from my 85 K10), license the file and then load it to my PCM.
    Thanks,
    Bobb77

Quote Originally Posted by bobb77 View Post
    Just heard from Painless Performance and there is NO VIN in the VIN field. I need HP Tuners to advise as to whether I can Read the PCM file, edit the VIN field (enter my VIN from my 85 K10), license the file and then load it to my PCM.
    Thanks,
    Bobb77

Below is the description of PCM part number 60711 from the Painless Performance website:

"12200411 ECM with 2002 LS1 Camaro Tune & VATS Removed. This ECM has the Vehicle Anti-Theft System removed and is calibrated for the following specs: 5.7L / 4L60e / 3.42 Gear Ratio / 26.50” Rear Tire Diameter. All factory emissions items will still be activated. You will have check engine lights until further tuning is completed. This tune is designed to allow you to start your vehicle and allow you to get it to a local tuner for further work to be completed. We do not offer this service."

If Painless Performance claims that there is no VIN programmed into the computer - then what "grey market" software did they use to program it ?

Do they have someone who works for beer money, programming these in his garage or basement ?

Any reputable company should be using GM software and programming tools, for the initial programming. This would automatically load a VIN into the controller. Given the above description, this should have been a 2002 Camaro VIN.

You can not put a 1985 K10 truck VIN in that computer with HP Tuners.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Just to simplify things, do I need a VIN in the PCM to use hp tuners?

Senior Tuner
    Might require a model year license with no VIN.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb77 View Post
    Just to simplify things, do I need a VIN in the PCM to use hp tuners?
    not necessarily, our software can support licensing to a vcm id number and operating system in cases where there is no vin number detected as a single file license.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Many Thanks Bill. This is the type of reply I needed.
    Thx again,
    Bob