Thread: Throttle Plate Area

Tuner in Training

Throttle Plate Area

Was looking through my LT 5.3 L83 tune for my Jeep today and noticed under AIRFLOW --> Electronic Throttle Area was listed as 3690mm2. The throttle plate is 80mm so that area should be 5024mm2 minus the shaft obstruction should it not. The tune was provided by Motech from Vegas and is for a 6.2 liter engine so am just wondering if there is a reason to reduce the throttle plate area in the tune??

Quote Originally Posted by JKLTGuy View Post
    Was looking through my LT 5.3 L83 tune for my Jeep today and noticed under AIRFLOW --> Electronic Throttle Area was listed as 3690mm2. The throttle plate is 80mm so that area should be 5024mm2 minus the shaft obstruction should it not. The tune was provided by Motech from Vegas and is for a 6.2 liter engine so am just wondering if there is a reason to reduce the throttle plate area in the tune??
    Not that I have an answer I Know the throttle area for the L83 is 3,690.0 then respectively I believe the L86- 4,118.0 LT1- 4,703.9. I have a L83 decent sized cam/FBO/DOD delete I’ve had a L86 manifold and throttle body on it prior to installing the cam I’ve use all the above areas for a hot minute I have the same sediment as many others couldn’t find any notable differences I just revert back to 3690.0 read on here awhile back at least for the L83 anyhow that throttle area supposedly the most responsive vs running the Lt1 area at 4,703.9. I know by technical definition and functions as ecm reference on airflow models. In terms of the calculations I’m no math major go to YouTube search goat rope garage Gen v throttle calculations has great a channel gen v heavy content.

Here’s the video easy enough to link it

https://youtu.be/MK9fh2VuMAg
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 08-02-2021 at 07:07 AM.

Tuner in Training
    A_Texas thanks for the response. Watching that video tells me a lot and I have a shortcut to that guys Goat Rope Garage. Actually going to do an all MAF tune soon with a fellow tuner on this forum. His C5 Corvette gets over 40mpg (imperial) on a similar tune without loss of power and I wonder why the factory does not tune this way! That throttle plate calculation is definitely something that can be played with so long as one goes to the VE and airflow tables to make changes.