Thread: 2010 Challenger Extended Crank

2010 Challenger Extended Crank

Car is 2010 5.7L A5 with 220/230 .596/.582 114 Camshaft, Long Tube Headers, No Cats, BBK 85mm Throttle Body and BBK Cold Air Intake. I have 2 issues.

1st. The car must be throttled to start. Once it's running, it drives fine. Comes to a stop nice etc. but must be throttled to start.

2nd. When I try to set the sensed map enabled the car doesn't want to run at without throttling. Any ideas?

Old Tune Working.hpt
    Extended Crank Throttle To Start.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Try pulling some fuel out around the pressure ratio it cranks at and see if that helps, all of the similar ones I have here have about 10-15% less fuel there. Try that, then try adding some back in the other way and see if fueling helps, if not go under electronic throttle and startup adder and see if changing that helps at all. My guess is it's too rich or too lean, hard to tell off the narrowbands though.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyardgarage View Post
    Try pulling some fuel out around the pressure ratio it cranks at and see if that helps, all of the similar ones I have here have about 10-15% less fuel there. Try that, then try adding some back in the other way and see if fueling helps, if not go under electronic throttle and startup adder and see if changing that helps at all. My guess is it's too rich or too lean, hard to tell off the narrowbands though.
    Are you meaning pull fuel out of the VE?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 30thta436 View Post
    Are you meaning pull fuel out of the VE?
    I pull fuel in the start up pulse width. More than one way to skin a cat.

Also, are you fully tuned having these issues? Or just getting started on the tuning? NN on or off?

Just starting. NN Off. When I turn on, it doesn't want to run.

In order to reduce fuel in the startup pulse width, I would increase the values in the affected area correct?

Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    I pull fuel in the start up pulse width. More than one way to skin a cat.

Also, are you fully tuned having these issues? Or just getting started on the tuning? NN on or off?
    Would increasing start up airflow have an affect?
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Would increasing start up airflow have an affect?
    I have added to startup air and was unsuccessful

I tried several changes, and don't feel like I made any progress.

Current Tune and Log Attached. Any insight as to why there is such a problem starting would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Tune and Log Attached. Any insight as to why there is such a problem starting would be appreciated.
    Feel your pain. I've been going through a similar issue after new build.

Mine starts fine cold or if it sits for couple hours.

Randomly at 5 to 20 minutes of shut down, at operating temp, it just cranks on or off gas. Second go it fires up.

I've been fooling with fuel, air, and timing. Something I'm over looking. It is frustrating.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner

From the log you supplied here, it looks like you may require a lot more fuel on cranking/start up to properly wet the runners and get it to catch.

In the log where you crank for an extended period (starting from ~8.4secs to ~18.2sec) you can see that the PW decays to 0ms after ~2secs of cranking and then you only get one fire a further 3secs in then nothing at all for the remaining 5sec or so of cranking with 0ms PW (eg no extra fuel injected).
    Considering is does not want to fire at all after 5secs of cranking at 0ms PW suggests that it might require quite a bit more fuel from the startup base inj table. I would try a drastic change and either multiply that table by 2 or 1.5 times and see how it again reacts under extended cranking conditions.
    The table will still decay to 0ms after a few seconded so if there's too much fuel it will eventually clear and then should fire