Thread: E85 with Kerosene?

Advanced Tuner

E85 with Kerosene?

So today I was talking to a reseller of E85 asking the price for a barrel. He asked me do I want to pump E85, or race E85.
    He said the E85 at the local fueling stations around here are a mix of 15% gasoline, 15% kerosene, and 65% ethanol.
    Does this ring a bell with anybody?.

Have not heard of the kerosene part before.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea, after he said that I went searching the internet. There's absolutely nothing in the whole world about any Kerosene in E85 as a cut fuel. Sounds like BS to try and sell his crap for $320 a barrel. I pumped my own at the gas station an hour south for $164. It measures to true E85 too.
    Thanks for your reply 5FDP.

Senior Tuner
    it is good to mix e85 with a bit of quality toluene help raise the MON rating with the ethanol's RON best of both worlds

Tuner
    What is the source of the statement, "It is good to mix e85 with a bit of quality toluene"

I ask because, while toluene is indeed an antidetonant, it also affects burn speed...makes it slower. Not sure why you'd want to do that. Also true e85 is R+M/2 of about 105-oct.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

Senior Tuner
    ethanol burns fast and has very good RON numbers but not MON, adding toluene helps add MON value to it so u get the best of both, RON is a good for quick energy knock resistance and MON is good for sustained energy knock resistance so if ur on the throttle for a long power run u want a good MON value, slower burn can also have more timing also

I successfully used kerosene as a diesel replacement on a duramax, but never heard of any E85 mix