Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Colorado 3.7 to 5.3 swap E67 Programming

Tuner

2011 Colorado 3.7 to 5.3 swap E67 Programming

Working on a 2011 Colorado 3.7 to 5.3 swap, i cannot perform a segment swap between a 3.7 and 5.3 file because of OS differences. From my research so far, it appears that you can use the same E67 ECU. Do i need to flash this with an MDI 2 ( I have access to one) and use a different VIN for a V8 OS? Or can i license a 2011 Colorado 5.3 file from the repository and do a write entire? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 01SLPSSM6; 08-07-2021 at 02:06 PM.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Why do they use two different service numbers? Unless someone has confirmed they are functionally identical, assume the service numbers mean they are not interchangeable.

You cannot do a change like this on Gen4 ECMs with a write-entire. There are 8 segments in the ECM and HPT can only access 6 of them. Write-entire worked fine on Gen3 stuff because the inaccessible throttle segments weren't in the PCM, they were in the TAC module.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Why do they use two different service numbers? Unless someone has confirmed they are functionally identical, assume the service numbers mean they are not interchangeable.

You cannot do a change like this on Gen4 ECMs with a write-entire. There are 8 segments in the ECM and HPT can only access 6 of them. Write-entire worked fine on Gen3 stuff because the inaccessible throttle segments weren't in the PCM, they were in the TAC module.
    Thank you for the reply, i am not sure why they are different other than I5/V8. This is what i found on Current Performances website, it says "in most cases the E67 is compatible". The only segment swaps available were only for the TCM.

If you plan to install a 58x LS engine (2006-2014)
    Our suggested engine setup for 08-up trucks for best electronics integration.
    We will suggest keeping electronic throttle.
    We will suggest using an E67 ECU. The 2008-2012 Colorado trucks come with an E67 that, in most cases, is compatible with 58x V8?s and can be reprogrammed to run the new engine.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

They are different because they have different service numbers, and GM doesn't do that unless there is some physical board-level hardware difference. Sometimes it's something major that prevents interchange, sometimes it's something insignificant like they changed suppliers for the 100uF C47 capacitor. If you don't mind experimenting and a potentially bricked ECM, go for it. Then you can tell us whether the I4/I5's 12678512 really is interchangeable with the V8's 12678513, and GM only gave them different numbers because they're dicks.

Tuner
    Blindsquirrel, thank you for all of your help. The truck is a 2011, so I flashed a V8 vin from a 2011 Colorado V8 5.3 file via TIS2 and it fired right up! So far everything appears to be working correctly, but I have not driven it yet. I did a segment swap for the TCM also. It actually started up and ran on the I5 OS on 5 cylinders, rpm was way off and the idle was really high. Ill make a new thread for anybody looking for info on a swap like this.

Senior Tuner
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge that GM is/are dicks.

Advanced Tuner
    Based on what I am understanding, & correct me if I am wrong:

If you have a 2008 to 2012 Colorado/Canyon with the I4 or I5 using any transmission option from factory & wanted to swap to the V8, you can use any E67 2007+ (after a "Write Entire" is done) 5.3L, 6.0L, 6.2L PCM no matter if the V8 vehicle is a manual, auto, 4wd, or 4x4 trans equipped?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

You have to use GM's sps to program it to V8 OS. Hptuners cannot convert it.

The Service Number still has to be compatible with the OS's application. You can't just use any "E67" for any OS.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnraines View Post
    You have to use GM's sps to program it to V8 OS. Hptuners cannot convert it.
    The Service Number still has to be compatible with the OS's application. You can't just use any "E67" for any OS.
    So, if I am using a 2007 trucks 6.0L or 5.3L V8's E67 PCM in a non eight cylinder colorado/canyon from 2008 to 2012, I still need other special programming functions that HPT is not capable of?

Yes, as any year E67 is a Gen 4 ECM, with the throttle controller built-in.

Colorado was factory built with V8 and E67, why not just get the ECM SPS-programmed using a V8 Colorado/Canyon VIN?

Beware that pre-'09 ECMs had a 63lb injector limit and '09-up were 127lb, and you cannot mix an early OS with a late Service Number (they are different, incompatible hardware inside). So if your ECM is an early service number you need a matching early VIN.

OK, so Colorado got the V8 only in '09 after the 63lb/127lb breakpoint, so you cannot use a V8 Colorado OS in a '07 E67. You would need a different Service Number (12678512).

Advanced Tuner
    OK, so Colorado got the V8 only in '09 after the 63lb/127lb breakpoint, so you cannot use a V8 Colorado OS in a '07 E67. You would need a different Service Number (12678512).
    Not sure what the incompatibility issue is, but I'm thinking that it is with the BCM & Instrument Panel Cluster?

What I am doing is a I4 Auto RWD to LS Manual RWD swap. Would the 12678512 service tag be required still?

Trying to mix a 127lb OS ('09-up Colorado) with a 63lb ECM ('07 Trailblazer) = brick. Not compatible. Early software incompatible with late hardware, late hardware incompatible with early software. If you were to use a Colorado OS, it would be an '09-up because GM did not put the V8 in the Colorado until after the 127lb breakpoint. There is no Colorado VIN you could use for programming that is compatible with a pre-'09 63lb ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    What I am doing is a Chevrolet Colorado I4 Auto RWD to LS Manual RWD swap, not trailblazer.
    I am swapping the engine harness out for a V8 specific harness, removing the auto transmission in favor for the manual transmission, & installing a LS1 or LS2 depending on availability.

I know.

You have a 2007 Trailblazer ECM. What is its Service Number? 12678511?

If you want the ECM to talk to Colorado electronics it will need to use a Colorado operating system.

You cannot put a V8 Colorado operating system on any 2007 ECM. V8 Colorados did not exist until 2009. The 2009 Colorado uses a 'late' 127lb limit E67 and 127lb operating system. The 2007 Trailblazer E67 is an 'early' 63lb limit. You cannot put a 127lb OS on a 63lb ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to go physically look at the tag as I am not aware (nor could find it) of it being stored in the HPT file anywhere. The only thing that I can see in the file to which matches anything in this threads reference is that it is an E67 Gen 4 PCM.

If it does show the Trailblazer tag of 12678511, I'll need to physically procure a PCM to make it work. The physical PCM I would be after is ideally a PCM from 2009+ V8 colorado/canyon, H3, GM 1500 classic series V8 truck, CTS-V, 09+ Camaro, correct?

Thanks for the help.

If it's from 2007 it is going to be an early 63lb ECM. There were no 127lbers until mid 2009.

I am seeing parts catalog listings for a manual trans V8 Colorado in 2009 and 2012 (but none for 2010-2011). I don't know if that's real or not, I've never seen such a beast and there aren't any in the repository to harvest a VIN from. I don't know how you would go about finding a sample vehicle to get a VIN from for programming.

Are you planning to keep all the factory modules? Cluster? ABS? Airbags? HVAC? Other garbage? If not, then this is a giant waste of time and you should just use a Holley and be done with it.

Advanced Tuner
    If it's from 2007 it is going to be an early 63lb ECM. There were no 127lbers until mid 2009.

I am seeing parts catalog listings for a manual trans V8 Colorado in 2009 and 2012 (but none for 2010-2011). I don't know if that's real or not, I've never seen such a beast and there aren't any in the repository to harvest a VIN from. I don't know how you would go about finding a sample vehicle to get a VIN from for programming.

Are you planning to keep all the factory modules? Cluster? ABS? Airbags? HVAC? Other garbage? If not, then this is a giant waste of time and you should just use a Holley and be done with it.
    09 thru at least 10 had the option for the 5.3L. That I can be confident to say, assuming the dealership at the time wasn't blowing smoke because I was grabbing a quote for a 2010 for a V8 spec'd CC until it hit a roadblock from not offering a manual option.

I am keeping the factory cluster, HVAC, other various OEM trash.

My intentions is the go grab a junkyard PCM from a local 2012 Escalade 6.2L (known good asset) & hand jam an E67 file meant for the 58x LS to support the manual transmission & other engine parameters needed. Once that is done, install the PCM, apply the credits, & execute a write-entire.

If that isn't going to work, what physical PCM would I need? the PCM from a TB SS? If that is the case, then I would think using the stock TBSS file & making engine & transmission changes within that file is what I would have to do.
    Last edited by * _ *; 03-09-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: word correction