Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 Colorado 3.7 to 5.3 swap E67 Programming

09 thru at least 10 had the option for the 5.3L. That I can be confident to say, assuming the dealership at the time wasn't blowing smoke because I was grabbing a quote for a 2010 for a V8 spec'd CC until it hit a roadblock from not offering a manual option.
    No, look. I know the V8 was available from '09 thru '12. There is a manual trans option listed for 2009 and a V8. There is a manual trans option listed for 2012 and a V8. There is no manual trans option for 2010 & 2011. I do not know if the manual trans listings are errors or if they were actually built for those two years only. If you find a VIN from a V8/manual Colorado, please post it.

My intentions is the go grab a junkyard PCM from a local 2012 Escalade 6.2L (known good asset) & hand jam an E67 file meant for the 58x LS to support the manual transmission & other engine parameters needed. Once that is done, install the PCM, apply the credits, & execute a write-entire.

If that isn't going to work, what physical PCM would I need? the PCM from a TB SS? If that is the case, then I would think using the stock TBSS file & making engine & transmission changes within that file is what I would have to do.
    I thought I had made it crystal clear that HPT should not be used like that, to change between platforms. This feels like Groundhog Day or something.

No Escalade ever used an E67, they were all E38. The new/junkyard ECM needs to be programmed with dealer-type tools and GM SPS, using a valid (meaning, a real vehicle that GM actually built) VIN. You need a sample vehicle that has the hardware you want to duplicate, so that you can grab the VIN from it, so that GM SPS will program it with a compatible OS.

Just in case this can help, I'll inform him that Blindsquirrel is correct in his assessment of what is required to make this work like stock. Attempting this any other way has been attempted and will not be successful.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You need a sample vehicle that has the hardware you want to duplicate, so that you can grab the VIN from it, so that GM SPS will program it with a compatible OS.
    I'm not saying you are wrong, as all I am saying is this ^ is the part that doesnt make sense for the purpose of using HPT.

Creating something that wasnt factory is likely what this is, so finding an existing OS that supports it is not probable.

I am almost certain someone a few years ago removed a factory I5 auto 4x4 setup & swapped in a LS engine mated to a T56 while retaining stock IP, SRS, ABS, HVAC & the factory trash.

From looking thru some random GM SUV & truck files, I've noticed some have tabs that are able to be toggled for a manual trans, blower, supercharger, & turbocharger when those platforms never came with that option. Why would that ever be listed in HPT for that vehicle if it doesn't have an existing OEM platform with it?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

That's why I told you hptuners can't help you make it work. It can only let you tune it after you get it to work by buying the correct ECM and OS or making them.

HP Tuners cannot properly program all segments of a Gen 4 ECM. You need a Tech2, or MDI, or Mongoose, or VCXNano, or whatever other J2534-compatible device. And GM SPS to pull the calibration from. HP Tuners was never meant to be a replacement for dealer programming tools. I am sorry you were led to believe that it was.

Changing the drop-down boxes in a file does not change the pin assignments. Only changing the OS can do that. Again, sorry. It just doesn't do what you were thinking.

Advanced Tuner
    Serv No. is 12607096
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Potential Tuner

Have you figured it out?

Quote Originally Posted by 01SLPSSM6 View Post
    Working on a 2011 Colorado 3.7 to 5.3 swap, i cannot perform a segment swap between a 3.7 and 5.3 file because of OS differences. From my research so far, it appears that you can use the same E67 ECU. Do i need to flash this with an MDI 2 ( I have access to one) and use a different VIN for a V8 OS? Or can i license a 2011 Colorado 5.3 file from the repository and do a write entire? Thanks in advance.
    So I have been attempting doing the same engine swap but keeping the 4l60e. I am at this point of programming and would like to know if in fact the ecm from the 5 cly. can be programmed to work with the 5.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado10MT View Post
    So I have been attempting doing the same engine swap but keeping the 4l60e. I am at this point of programming and would like to know if in fact the ecm from the 5 cly. can be programmed to work with the 5.3?
    Don't know if this will help but.....
    2007-trailblazer-5.3-4L60E.hpt
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 07-23-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey, guys . I have a stock 2010 5.3v8 colorado, just swapped in a manual ar5 trany from the 5cyl coly using a Fabot kit. This trany is proven capable of handling 600hp, easy bolt on kit no fab other than cutting some floor sheetmetal to install shifter. I've done no ecm/tcm programming yet (or ever I'm a tuner noob ) so the swap can be done. one other guy I know did the swap also. He has a 09 i5 w manual trany swapped to a factory coly 09 v8 and all wiring harness. He has no issues. I know there are differences between the 09 ecm/tcm and the 2010-12. I do have 1 trany error code 0700 "trany control system MIL request" I need help/direction with from you guys as to how to either eliminate code or the tcm ??? And what tuner to purchase

Potential Tuner
    Currently looking into a 08 Colorado 3.7/4l60e swap with 12 5.3, i'm reading a lot of swapping files and writing entire to get the engines to run. my main concern is getting the engine to run while keeping the systems of the truck functioning normally. Can i not just compare files with the v8 change them in my tune and add pins in the pcm to run my injectors? i read in this thread the 63/127 lb injector limit which worst case i can swap injectors and pigtails or harness with something compatible to the pre09 e67 ecm.