Thread: IAT useage in 3800 P04?

Potential Tuner

IAT useage in 3800 P04?

Finally got around to tuning my 3800SC in my Fiero.

At idle, I've noticed it running lean at startup but slightly rich after everything is heat soaked. Was hoping to use IATs to account for that. The only table I see using IAT is for spark timing. I can't imagine GM using IAT sensors and not adjusting for air density. Is that a table that's just not available?

I've started modifying the startup AFR correction table to add fuel at lower temps, but I'm not getting the results I would expect quite yet. Has anyone else tackled this yet?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by srf13 View Post
    Finally got around to tuning my 3800SC in my Fiero.

At idle, I've noticed it running lean at startup but slightly rich after everything is heat soaked. Was hoping to use IATs to account for that. The only table I see using IAT is for spark timing. I can't imagine GM using IAT sensors and not adjusting for air density. Is that a table that's just not available?

I've started modifying the startup AFR correction table to add fuel at lower temps, but I'm not getting the results I would expect quite yet. Has anyone else tackled this yet?
    Post tune and log file and I will take a look later...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Potential Tuner
    Here's the file and log associated with that file. I worked on the MAF several days ago, working on the VE table now. Have both the MAF and narrowband O2 disconnected.

FWIW, I noticed that there seems to be a bug in the ECM; if the narrowband O2 is still connected, it will generate fuel trims when using the VE table, even if the closed loop enable ECT is set at 283 degrees. Does not do this while using the MAF though. That's why the narrowband is disconnected.

Quick correction: Looks like I have it dialed into idling correctly, but it runs lean at first while cold.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by srf13; 08-10-2021 at 09:44 AM.