Thread: VCM Scanner Beta - CAN Outputs feature?

Potential Tuner

VCM Scanner Beta - CAN Outputs feature?

Has anyone tried the CAN Outputs feature in the beta of VCM Scanner? I've tried to map some PID's to CAN messages without any success, and have also tried outputting static values. I don't see the device transmitting anything over the CANbus high/low wires of the Prolink+ unit connected to my MPVI3, either with CAN sniffing tools nor with an oscilloscope.

I know that this is a beta feature but has anyone had any luck with it yet?

I am hoping that, once released, it will be able to repeat OBD-II PID's over CAN any time the MPVI3 is connected - allowing me to display values that are only available via J1850 VPW on CANbus-only devices like the AEM CD-5.

It's still a work in progress. We have a couple customers testing and helping development, but the feature is still changing often.

Hopefully in the near future we'll refine the UI and the back end, and solidify the process enough to whip up some customer facing documentation so that you and others can more easily use it as well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    It's still a work in progress. We have a couple customers testing and helping development, but the feature is still changing often.

Hopefully in the near future we'll refine the UI and the back end, and solidify the process enough to whip up some customer facing documentation so that you and others can more easily use it as well.

Sounds good; I am happy to help test if you'd like as I have quite a bit of experience with CANbus.

One feature that would be *amazing* would be for the CAN Outputs to always be broadcasting the data from the PID's, even when the computer wasn't connected. That way, you could just set your CAN Outputs via the VCM Scanner program, then unhook the laptop but leave the MPVI3 and Prolink+ connected to OBD-II and CAN - and have your data rebroadcasted from the OBD-II PID's to your CANbus without requiring any other unit to be connected.

In my use case, I have a GM Racing P12 ECU in a vehicle that came with no other ECU's (no BCM, etc) so the ECU only outputs limited data over CANbus since nothing else is "listening" to it. I need to be able to access some items which are only available over OBD-II PID's (such as IAT2 and other supercharger sensor outputs) to be displayed on an AEM CD-5 which I've already got set to read the limited information transmitted over the CANbus from the ECU. Being able to just keep my MPVI3 and Prolink+ connected at all times with constant PID-to-CAN would solve this problem in a very tidy way for me.

Thanks again for a great product and look forward to more new features. Feel free to ping me if you need additional testing from someone with CANbus experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iota View Post
    Sounds good; I am happy to help test if you'd like as I have quite a bit of experience with CANbus.

One feature that would be *amazing* would be for the CAN Outputs to always be broadcasting the data from the PID's, even when the computer wasn't connected. That way, you could just set your CAN Outputs via the VCM Scanner program, then unhook the laptop but leave the MPVI3 and Prolink+ connected to OBD-II and CAN - and have your data rebroadcasted from the OBD-II PID's to your CANbus without requiring any other unit to be connected.

In my use case, I have a GM Racing P12 ECU in a vehicle that came with no other ECU's (no BCM, etc) so the ECU only outputs limited data over CANbus since nothing else is "listening" to it. I need to be able to access some items which are only available over OBD-II PID's (such as IAT2 and other supercharger sensor outputs) to be displayed on an AEM CD-5 which I've already got set to read the limited information transmitted over the CANbus from the ECU. Being able to just keep my MPVI3 and Prolink+ connected at all times with constant PID-to-CAN would solve this problem in a very tidy way for me.

Thanks again for a great product and look forward to more new features. Feel free to ping me if you need additional testing from someone with CANbus experience.
    The output works, but you have to intercept the Prolink+ or omit it. I built my own wiring harness to do this, and I have my MPVI3 set up to transmit rpm to my Mainline Prohub so I can avoid an inductive pickup. As long as HPT can scan RPM from whatever's on the dyno, I have my reference.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    I've got the CAN high line connected to orange lead on the Prolink+ and CAN low on the yellow lead but I don't get anything on those lines, even with an oscilloscope and even with a static value being output. Maybe I need to update to a more recent beta or something

I've got the CAN high line connected to orange lead on the Prolink+ and CAN low on the yellow lead but I don't get anything on those lines, even with an oscilloscope and even with a static value being output. Maybe I need to update to a more recent beta or something
    Like I said... you have to intercept the Prolink+. The current setup isn't for the CAN bus on the Prolink+ itself but rather the MPVI3's M8 connector.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Potential Tuner
    ahh, that makes sense - is there a pinout for the M8 somewhere? i've not messed with it yet; wonder if I could just crack the prolink+'s little body open...

Potential Tuner
    ahh, that makes sense - is there a pinout for the M8 somewhere? i've not messed with it yet; wonder if I could just crack the prolink+'s little body open...
    I see it, once you start logging, the bottom 2 pins on M8 start a high speed pulse, thanks

I'm having a similar issue. I have a MPVI2 with the pro link and i have a CAN interface from my Mustang Dyno. i setup the CAN output in HP Tuners VCM scanner and set the data to Engine rpm but in my Mustang Dyno software when the CAN is connected i only see 1 RPM instead of 650 at idle. It appears to be sending out data cause i see RPM its just not accurate. I dont have any offsets define in the CAN Output on the VCM scanner software so im not sure why the data not matching.

I got Engine RPM and speed working from the HP tuners CAN output but I found a issue in HP tuners if I try to pull MAP or lamda into my dyno
    HP tuners is only sending whole numbers for example vcm scanner shows 4.7psi but the data I?m getting from HP tuners over the can output only shows 4

DSTECK - I have a AEM 30-0310 and I am trying to log/display AFR on my scanner using the MPVI3 with the ProLink+. I have connected the AEMNet CAN high wire (black/white) to the ProLink CAN high wire (orange) and the AEMnet CAN low wire (green/white) to the ProLink CAN low wire (yellow). I repolled the scanner, added the AEM X series UEGO WB EQ ratio 1 PID. However, when I start scanning, nothing populates in the scanner. Thoughts? TIA.

I'm not sure if this matters, but my swap is an 84 C10 - 2017 GEN V L86/8L90 with a E92/T87 using a Speartech wiring harness an running a 2015 Corvette OS.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692