Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wideband serial to usb disappears when scanning

Have you checked device manager? If you download Putty on your computer you can make sure that you are receiving a signal when you are hooked up as well

Advanced Tuner
    I finally got fed up with the serial. I would try different ports, restart, etc. nothing was consistent.
    I ended up with the AEM X series with OBD. Much less issues.
    if you have an OBD, its worth a look

Potential Tuner
    Well it would be nice if AEM OBD worked for pre CAN, since I have a 99' I have to rollback the windows update or something.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT3N4 View Post
    Well it would be nice if AEM OBD worked for pre CAN, since I have a 99' I have to rollback the windows update or something.
    dr.mike is working on an adapter that takes the AEMnet CAN and will put that data onto the pre-CAN data streams. The J1850-VPW is currently under test.

That thread is located here
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...y-takers/page5

I have the same issue with my AEM wideband. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Totally random. It would be nice if we could configure a custom data channel to always look for a specific COM port, same for the MPVI interface. I have noticed if i plug the wideband out and then in again and try to connect to the vehicle, it will not detect the MPVI2+ interface first time. Then it will detect it again.

I believe that there is a way to configure it to look for a specific COM port but I cannot remember.
    I do not have this issue with finding the wideband. Have you repolled for parameters recently? Followed my writeup?
    '99 Silverado LQ4
    '96 Impala SS LT1
    '06 Sierra LBZ

Potential Tuner
    Excellent Topic. I purchased the Daytona Sensor WEGO IV unit, thinking it would be perfect for street tuning and I am having major issues getting my PID to work. Done everything I can think of and NOTHING is working. PID vanishes when starting to scan. Reboot > nothing, Repoll > nothing. I spent well over $500 for this POS....

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shakenfake View Post
    I actually ended up figuring out the issue a little bit after I made this post. Not sure why I didn't get thread updates but anyways...

I had to delete the file for the truck and then repoll for parameters and do the whole nine yards again. I actually did a write up on how to do this on performancetrucks.net
    Going to link it down below but I have not had an issue since.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tuners-558840/

Also this is something that I highly doubt HPTuners is working on as they want you to use their pro software. Not throwing shade at all because that is easily the best solution but this one works just as well. Just need to work it out a bit. Check out the link, will work 100%. If you need help PM me
    As described above - it works for me: delete the file in folder "documents>hp tuners>VCM scanner >vehicles", then plug your HPTuners MPV obdii interface and USB into your laptop, "connect to vehicle", "repoll for supported parameters" (under "vehicle" at top of VCM scanner) and then "start scanning". This is with windows 10 and VCM scanner V5.0.4. This is a frustrating work around because my experience is I have to jump thru this procedure any time I make changes to my channel selection.

I would not be surprised if you had to repoll for parameters and try and rework the entire setup. In the event I get forced onto Windows 11 I will probably just buy the Pro hub.
    '99 Silverado LQ4
    '96 Impala SS LT1
    '06 Sierra LBZ

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoultion33 View Post
    having the same issue, Restarting doesn't help, powering up the computer with the ports connected doesn't help, checked the drivers, comm port is showing up in device manager, restarting the scanner doesn't help, and tried the BETA as well with no luck. This seems to be a common issue, is HPTuners working on any sort of solution?!
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Before you connect and start the log make sure the wideband is reporting and not "warming up". When ignition is cycled and wideband warms up it drops serial connection for whatever reason. That's why it disappears from the channel list.
    This is an interesting point. I am pretty sure I have checked this, but I am putting it on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by shakenfake View Post
    I actually ended up figuring out the issue a little bit after I made this post. Not sure why I didn't get thread updates but anyways...

I had to delete the file for the truck and then repoll for parameters and do the whole nine yards again. I actually did a write up on how to do this on performancetrucks.net
    Going to link it down below but I have not had an issue since.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tuners-558840/

Also this is something that I highly doubt HPTuners is working on as they want you to use their pro software. Not throwing shade at all because that is easily the best solution but this one works just as well. Just need to work it out a bit. Check out the link, will work 100%. If you need help PM me
    SO, are you deleting those files and repolling after every restart of the computer? I am trying to create a step by step troubleshooting document for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    So one thing I figured out is if I'm logging and I stop the log, turn the truck off (AEM is tied to the oem O2 sensor fuse) but leave my computer running, Once I restart I have to restart the logger as well or it will disappear.

But at the same time since I started using a USB hub and plugging both the MPVI and the AEM into it, there has been times I forgot to restart the scanner/logger and it still worked just fine. Again that little bonus only happened after I combined everything onto a 4 port USB hub....

Dunno what or if than means anything, but just sharing my experience with the same issue that hasn't given me any more fits in almost 3 months now. And I log almost daily.
    Great point, but I have tried using a Y-splitter and plugging in separately to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post
    I ditched my serial WB. I got the AEM X series that goes thru the OBD. No problems
    I am almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by corvet786c View Post
    OK Update: I am using the AEM 4110 Finally some progress, After searching and trying watching videos. Make sure the interface is fully plugged in the obd port. On my labtop I plug in the serial to usb on the leftside usb, and use the hpt on the rightside usb on the labtop. Initally First I start the car, let it warm up and connect, I had to do this a couple of times, but seemed to work. Forgot to mention also repolled it too. Still working today.
    Did that too.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Quadruple checking that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by weavingi View Post
    As described above - it works for me: delete the file in folder "documents>hp tuners>VCM scanner >vehicles", then plug your HPTuners MPV obdii interface and USB into your laptop, "connect to vehicle", "repoll for supported parameters" (under "vehicle" at top of VCM scanner) and then "start scanning". This is with windows 10 and VCM scanner V5.0.4. This is a frustrating work around because my experience is I have to jump thru this procedure any time I make changes to my channel selection.
    *Make sure the Wideband is tied into an accessory fuse per instructions.
    1. Delete the file in folder "documents>hp tuners>VCM scanner >vehicles".
    2. Plug your HPTuners MPV obdii interface and USB into your laptop.
    3. Turn on vehicle.
    4. Wait for Wideband to "boot up"
    5.Open Scanner.
    6. Connect to vehicle.
    7. Repoll for supported parameters.
    8. Scan.

Thoughts or additions?
    2005 Silverado 2wd Crue Cab, Daily Driver
    2005 370" LQ4, BTR Truck Torque Cam, 202/202, .511/.511 111
    LS6 Springs, LS7 Lifters, Trunnion upgrade
    Speed Engineering HAI, Stock exhaust with 3" I/O Flowmaster
    New 4L65E

2005 Cadillac CTSV TT, Too much to list.....lol

@54inches No I am not doing that after every restart. I only ever did it once.
    '99 Silverado LQ4
    '96 Impala SS LT1
    '06 Sierra LBZ

Tuner in Training
    Thank you sir!
    2005 Silverado 2wd Crue Cab, Daily Driver
    2005 370" LQ4, BTR Truck Torque Cam, 202/202, .511/.511 111
    LS6 Springs, LS7 Lifters, Trunnion upgrade
    Speed Engineering HAI, Stock exhaust with 3" I/O Flowmaster
    New 4L65E

2005 Cadillac CTSV TT, Too much to list.....lol

Potential Tuner
    Autometer cobalt wideband rs232 serial connection
    I am trying to get my wideband data from my Autometer Colbalt series model 6197 that?s the 0-5v version with the 4.9lsu Bosch sensor to work on my RS232 port in VCM scanner version 4.10.7 with a MPVI2

I have a dedicated RS232 port on a HP EliteBook 8570P running windows 7-32bit

The comport is receiving data verified with CheeseLogger (so I know that Pins 2&5 are correct) as well as the setting for the port as it?s showing the AFR

I just added a channel for a Serial Port - AEM - AEM AFR - the channel shows up until I connect to the vehicle (tried a couple of other bands also, no luck)

Is there something specific I need to do for this particular wideband or do I need to buy Pro features?

The next day I tried the following:

Tried a windows 10 64bit laptop with an older version of HPT (the one that came with my MPVI2 v4.8.x I believe)

Used a usb 2.0 to serial cable with a FTDI chipset

Both laptops and that cable showed AFR data in cheeselogger

But HPT and the AEM AFR channel just vanishes

I have also turned the bluetooth off on EliteBook, tried having the truck running, serial cable in first, re syncing, deleting the data in vehicle folder, added and removed the channel and no luck

Is wideband serial data still supported in HPT or do I need to buy the pro suite?

Today I?m Expecting another usb 2.0 to serial cable with the Prolofic chipset (specifically the one linked directly by HP Tuners)

I?ve also submitted a support ticket to them

Thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sublevel View Post
    Autometer cobalt wideband rs232 serial connection
    I am trying to get my wideband data from my Autometer Colbalt series model 6197 that?s the 0-5v version with the 4.9lsu Bosch sensor to work on my RS232 port in VCM scanner version 4.10.7 with a MPVI2

I have a dedicated RS232 port on a HP EliteBook 8570P running windows 7-32bit

The comport is receiving data verified with CheeseLogger (so I know that Pins 2&5 are correct) as well as the setting for the port as it?s showing the AFR

I just added a channel for a Serial Port - AEM - AEM AFR - the channel shows up until I connect to the vehicle (tried a couple of other bands also, no luck)

Is there something specific I need to do for this particular wideband or do I need to buy Pro features?

The next day I tried the following:

Tried a windows 10 64bit laptop with an older version of HPT (the one that came with my MPVI2 v4.8.x I believe)

Used a usb 2.0 to serial cable with a FTDI chipset

Both laptops and that cable showed AFR data in cheeselogger

But HPT and the AEM AFR channel just vanishes

I have also turned the bluetooth off on EliteBook, tried having the truck running, serial cable in first, re syncing, deleting the data in vehicle folder, added and removed the channel and no luck

Is wideband serial data still supported in HPT or do I need to buy the pro suite?

Today I?m Expecting another usb 2.0 to serial cable with the Prolofic chipset (specifically the one linked directly by HP Tuners)

I?ve also submitted a support ticket to them

Thanks in advance
    I struggled with this for a while as well. Did everything you had listed.

Yes HPT supports serial wideband.

Try starting your vehicle and making sure the wideband is warmed up .

Have your HPT cable and your wideband serial cable plugged into your laptop.

Restart windows on your laptop and see if this works, then go into VCM scanner and see if you have a wideband reading.

That's all it took for me, just a restart with everything plugged in and the car running and the wideband works.

Potential Tuner
    That did not work