Thread: moving files to new laptop

Potential Tuner

moving files to new laptop

Hi, I have moved my HP folder to a newer laptop. How do i get my interface to recognize my licenses?
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Just a resync should be enough.

Assuming you have the same interface
    Go to HP Tuners and download the programs, VCM Suite and MPVI onto your new computer (unless you have a specific versions you want to stick with, if so get a copy of that install version)
    Then with your mpvi plugged into your laptop open your editor, click the blue "I" (vcm suite icon) it will open a new window. Click the "I" again in that window and it should load eveything up.

Mine did last night on a new laptop... If not try resync interface
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dennnewt View Post
    To migrate your files, you need to contact the professionals who do this.
    Weight and price of initial set up knowledge from you shortly?

Advanced Tuner
    I have all my files in one folder on the D drive, named "HP Tuners", then shortcuts from there to my desktop.

To change laptops I simply copied over the folder and shortcuts, then install the drivers for the dongle onto the new laptop just like you did with the original laptop.
    Once I did that it was like I was on my old laptop, complete with my custom Scanner program settings etc.

I'm sure you already did it, but for anyone else: Since you no doubt installed the programs using the file downloaded from HP Tuners, then it will install them where it wants. Classic locations are "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)".
    Then it may try to save files elsewhere, like your Scanner logs, so be wary where those go. A classic location is the User folder; "C:\Users\(your user name)", then in the Documents folder or it may create it's own folder which is no doubt called HP Tuners or similar.
    Or just search for "HP Tuner" Then simply copy all the stuff you find to the same places on the new PC, assuming your user name is the same. Or you could put them wherever you want.

I like my way with all in one place and NOT on the C drive so it's already much safer. Plus it's super easy to backup, which I do 1-2x a week. You should most certainly backup anything else that is important to you too because lots of things can go wrong and cost you your data, or take time to extract it. Eg; your screen dies, can you get the data out? Backups just make it sooo much easier. Just store that stuff on a portable drive or wherever, solved.

dennnewt is just pushing a product, so ignore that. I picture he sits all day at a PC surfing the net and creating accounts in the hopes of snaring customers (victims?). It would be interesting to see how much $ they want to copy your files over.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909