Thread: Tuning Laptop and Logging Laptop Separate... not letting me save tunes.

Tuner in Training

Tuning Laptop and Logging Laptop Separate... not letting me save tunes.

I am wondering what I can do to allow me to edit and save tunes on my main PC.
    I have one MPVI2 interface that I keep in the vehicle and I want to be able to save my tune on the tablet I keep in the vehicle for logging but I also want to be able to load the tune to my PC in the house so I can make edits there.

Is there a way to have the ability to edit tune files on more than one PC without resyncing the interface module every time?

-Josh

Connect the interface to whichever one won't let you save and resync.

Tuner in Training
    I do that... then I have to do it again when I go back to using the other computer. The problem is that I might not have the interface handy to connect it up for resyncing.
    What I am trying to do is edit and save the tune to a cloud drive on one computer, so I can jump in the car and load the tune in the vehicle with the other computer. I want to leave the mpvi2 in the vehicle... ready to go.

I do the exact same thing you're wanting to do - log on a laptop, make tune changes on the desktop - and it works fine. It's been years since I brought the interface inside to the other computer. All I had to do was sync the interface on each computer.

Tuner in Training
    It used to work for me too... I don't know what happened with it for me though.

Advanced Tuner
    What does resync interface do for an mpvi2 other than load credits? It looks like yall are saying that somehow the tune files are saved in this manner?

'It used to' - in what version? And what version are you on now? What changed? Does it work again if you go back to whatever it was before?

Tuner in Training
    Made a video to show what I am seeing.
    https://youtu.be/ugdPn4JAiCU

Tuner in Training
    I am on the 4.11.157 beta version. I am not sure exactly when it stopped... but I just did a clean install of the suite because you said it was working for you... and it still only allows me to save on the last computer that was last "Resynced". I have the two computers sitting side by side and I open my tune file... only one has the file/save functionality at any given point.

Tuner in Training
    I think I figured out the "why"... now I need to figure out the "how to fix it"?

The two computers I use share a cloud drive where "my documents" live. This allows me to have the files I want no matter which computer I sit down to use. The HPTuners setup directory contains the license file for the program. Every time I sync, it overwrites that license file. Thus, the ability to save is flip flopping back and forth depending on what computer I last activate the license file with.

I need a way to point at a different file for the license or create a license file that contains both computers that can live in my settings directory.

Maybe I will try creating a batch file that renames the two files depending on what computer I am on before I open the program.

Anyway, this might help some folks who are chasing their tail... but it appears I am the only one who like to set-up my "documents" folders to work this way. (imagine that...)

Thanks!
    -Josh

Do you have the ability to sync the specific folder?
    It is odd because I have a NAS backup that saves all the files for my phones, laptops, and computers. The specific folders for HP tuners and several other folders are all synced to OneDrive. I have a 1TB limit but it is cheap insurance to have multiple backups. I even have a VERY large but slow incremental backup drive for my NAS.

Tuner in Training
    It syncs thru one-drive automatically. You can set the location of certain windows system folders (like documents, music, photos, downloads, etc) by right clicking and selecting properties. I just point them all to my one drive so if any PC dies, I have lost nothing. (It is also nice when looking for a file on my phone on the go as well.)

Not syncing the files would defeat that purpose I think.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I had similar issue and here is the fix. FIRST: Check Help > License Information > There should be a minimum of one 10 digit number there. This "activates" the save capabilities in the Scanner and Editor software.
    The License information is contained in the MPVI 2/3 module. If there is no License number, connect the MPVI via USB to the computer and HELP > ReSync Interface. This will add the license to that computer and Scanner or Editor. Close the Scanner or Editor software and re-open it. Now there should be a License number in help and all should work. This is done to prevent someone from downloading the software and having the save capabilities without having a MPVI module. I have mine on 2 laptops and my big desktop also. If you have questions just ask.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]