Thread: Stalled 4L80 gets hot

Tuner in Training

Stalled 4L80 gets hot

Currently trying to dial in my LSA/4L80e combo in my 1972 Chevelle. In doing so, I'm noticing the temps on the trans get warm quick and it seems I can't drive more than 10-15 mins before they start to creep to 190 before I decide to shut it off. I'm using a Dewitts trans cooler and wanna make sure its not a tune issue before I start further addressing the cooling system. The trans is a Stage 3 Jakes with a Circle D triple disk 3000 rpm stall. I'm working with my tuner remotely on this until we can get it on the dyno, however with the trans temps rising, unless i trailer the car down there, I won't be able to drive it. Gotta get this cooling right. I have posted my tune file along w a log of me driving. If there are more parameters I need to log, I'd be happy to do so. Thanks!

Aug15Tune.hpt
    trans.hpl
    Last edited by Korndawg; 08-17-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you talking driving down the highway in 4th with lockup? Or in town driving with a 3k stall staying unlocked. 190F isn't unreasonable for city driving. Rule of thumb is around 100 above ambient is fairly reasonable. In town spirited driving my 3800 stall in my ext cab truck I see 190, occasionally on a hot summer day I'll see 200. And watch it drop on the highway. 215+ that's borderline hot as shit territory.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 08-16-2021 at 01:04 PM.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    Are you talking driving down the highway in 4th with lockup? Or in town driving with a 3k stall staying unlocked. 190F isn't unreasonable for city driving. Rule of thumb is around 100 above ambient is fairly reasonable. In town spirited driving my 3800 stall in my ext cab truck I see 190, occasionally on a hot summer day I'll see 200. And watch it drop on the highway. 215+ that's borderline hot as shit territory.
    Just normal, slow speed cruising around my rural Iowa city lol. Motor is/was a crate motor and I'm getting the first miles on it. Most I've had it up to is maybe 3600 rpms at 55 mph. Scary part, is when I'm going down the highway, I still see the temps climb and not lower. Also, I have yet to see the converter lockup in hptuners so I'm wondering whats going on there.

Yes, my 4L60E fluid temperature is 190 degrees F going into my stacked plate trans cooler with a seven inch blower fan and about 175 degrees coming out - measured with an infrared thermometer. This is with a stock 1999 5.3 liter truck motor in a maybe 3500 pound 1970 El Camino running a stock 4L60E stall converter - in summertime Louisiana heat.

Do you have the special dual-pole brake switch that engages the torque converter clutch (after permission from the PCM) but then disengages the TCC when you apply the brake?

Rick
    Last edited by B52bombardier1; 08-16-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
    Yes, my 4L60E fluid temperature is 190 degrees F going into my stacked plate trans cooler with a seven inch blower fan and about 175 degrees coming out - measured with an infrared thermometer. This is with a stock 1999 5.3 liter truck motor in a maybe 3500 pound 1970 El Camino running a stock 4L60E stall converter - in summertime Louisiana heat.

Do you have the special dual-pole brake switch that engages the torque converter clutch (after permission from the PCM) but then disengages the TCC when you apply the brake?

Rick
    I don?t have and sort of dual pole brake switch. I?m just really confused right now.

If you post your tune, maybe somebody can help. Also, while driving use the scanner special functions to see if you can lock the converter. Maybe your Trans tables are not populated correctly for your setup. Also, what dipstick do you use and did you make sure it is not too long and you are running way less fluid than you need?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    If you post your tune, maybe somebody can help. Also, while driving use the scanner special functions to see if you can lock the converter. Maybe your Trans tables are not populated correctly for your setup. Also, what dipstick do you use and did you make sure it is not too long and you are running way less fluid than you need?
    The tune file is listed in my original post. As far as the dipstick, it was also purchased from Jake's. I can pull the pan and double check its accuracy too.

Here is something I would try. Mine is set this way.
    Torque Converter--General--TCC Enable Solenoid ( Enable)
    Torque Management--Stall Torque Mgt--Enable 8192, Disable 8190
    Check to see if you can lock the converter with the special function---to make sure it is OK.
    Did the T42 come with the computer?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Here is something I would try. Mine is set this way.
    Torque Converter--General--TCC Enable Solenoid ( Enable)
    Torque Management--Stall Torque Mgt--Enable 8192, Disable 8190
    Check to see if you can lock the converter with the special function---to make sure it is OK.
    Did the T42 come with the computer?
    I'll give it a shot! I did get the T42 with my ECM also.