Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2005 GTO TT won't rev past 5000rpms under load.

Forgot the cam in the list its a TSP Cleetus Bald Eagle Turbo cam. Here is current tune with changes and a log file that i used to make some VE changes then smoothed the graph.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In one spot, you are at 5200 rpm, wide open, with -.6 degrees timing. Your IAT Timing chart is pulling 6 degrees of timing at 140 degrees of IAT. That chart is a little aggressive. In your high octane table, at 1.36g, your timing is only 5 degrees, so that is how you get to negative timing. Either reduce the timing pull in the iat timing chart or up the timing in the higher rpm--higher gsec areas of the hi octane table so it will not be negative. Right now, I think if you set it real safe to 8 or 9 degrees, it should be fine. Your ve tables still have a lot of rich areas---work on that. You will need to get in some steady state driving to get it correct. You have way too many shifts and revs to get a good handle on it.
    This is a shot of my IAT spark table. I am NOT__NOT saying that you use this table. I have a TVS blower, not a turbo, but it still gets hot. I have no knock in my setup so this is safe for me. You may still have the stock table, it appears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 08-21-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    In one spot, you are at 5200 rpm, wide open, with -.6 degrees timing. Your IAT Timing chart is pulling 6 degrees of timing at 140 degrees of IAT. That chart is a little aggressive. In your high octane table, at 1.36g, your timing is only 5 degrees, so that is how you get to negative timing. Either reduce the timing pull in the iat timing chart or up the timing in the higher rpm--higher gsec areas of the hi octane table so it will not be negative. Right now, I think if you set it real safe to 8 or 9 degrees, it should be fine. Your ve tables still have a lot of rich areas---work on that. You will need to get in some steady state driving to get it correct. You have way too many shifts and revs to get a good handle on it.
    This is a shot of my IAT spark table. I am NOT__NOT saying that you use this table. I have a TVS blower, not a turbo, but it still gets hot. I have no knock in my setup so this is safe for me. You may still have the stock table, it appears.
    I have not touched the IAT table! Wow. I didn't realize it was that aggressive but that would absolutely account for the fact at 5200 RPMs it's like I throw an anchor out. I am gonna try some not nearly as aggressive timing pull from the IAT but just a little more conservative than yours. At least it should let me get safely down the road and get some data to tune from. Got to wait for some dry roads though. I don't get much traction now. LOL!

It is not the rpm's---it's the iat temp

It is not the rpm's---it's the iat temp
    Yes, the temperature was making it pull the timing but I associated that with where it was really dipping the timing in the 5-5300rpm range when the boost is getting near the wastegate limit which is driving the higher IAT's. At least thats what I am thinking. Managed to blow some vacuum lines yesterday so I am picking up some better hose today. Get everything rerouted and try it again.

Got lines replaced and made another drive around for a few miles. Drivability is definitely getting better. Made some more VE corrections and smoothed out the graph a little.

Advanced Tuner
    edit - never-mind about LTFT, you already took care of this.

-Part throttle fueling is wild. Slow throttle transitions and steady state driving is needed to really figure this area out. Might also be easier to get things dialed in if you disable LTFTs. Set "2503 - LTFT Max ECT" to 283 degrees to disable LTFT. Each time you start a new log you will need to clear the LTFTs using the special functions in the scanner. (Key on engine off, special functions, fuel tab, clear LTFT).
    -Set your entire PE table to the same value as your Boost PE table.
    -PE Minimum MAP Enable can be set 75kPa-85kPa. It looks like your PE pedal settings will keep you out of PE when cruising, but adjust the pedal settings as desired when you're tuning the part throttle area. (If you're entering PE when you don't want to.)
    -You ride the 1.36g row of your timing table above ~4,800rpm. Might need to scale the entire tune if you need more timing control in higher boost.

-Delete one of the duplicate channels you're logging in the scanner. (RPM, IAT, Coolant)
    -If you are not using the MAF there is no need to log the MAF parameters. You can log MAF state if you'd like to make sure it's failed.

-Add these channels: Dynamic airflow, Injector tip temperature, Manifold Air Temperature, Intake valve temperature, Fuel Trim Cell.

--Dynamic airflow can be used to roughly filter out non-steady state data once the VE tables are more dialed in. Dynamic Airflow will deviate from VE Airflow in your logs, but you want them to closely mirror each other. They should fall in line the more dialed in you get your VE tables. The window (+/- .015) and timeframe (150ms) are semi-arbitrary.
    (DynAir<(VE-Airflow.avg(150)*1.015) and DynAir>(VE-Airflow.avg(150)*.985))
    ([2320.73]<([2311.73.avg(150)]*1.015) and [2320.73]>([2311.73.avg(150)]*.985))
    ---The problem is you are hitting the airflow limit of the computer (67lb/min). So the filter wont work well on the top end when the VE Airflow PID flat-lines at 67.72lb/min. Just so you're aware.

--Use Fuel trim cell to filter out deceleration and idle data. Closed loop and Open loop have different cell numbers, I assume you will tune in closed loop in this example.
    (FTC.avg(100)<16)
    ([6310.avg(100)]<16)

--Use Injector tip temperature to filter out data when the computer is adding fuel. (Rich after re-flash, sitting in traffic if things get hot, etc..)
    (InjTipTemp>100F and InTipTemp<140F)
    ([6215.242]>100 and [6215.242]<140)
    ---You can also apply the same filter to coolant temperature. I use >180F and <205F.

--Use EQ Ratio Commanded to filter PE transitions. (The time frame can vary based on scanner logging rates. I use between 100ms and 500ms depending on throttle snappiness.)
    (EQcmd.avg(100)=1 or EQcmd.avg(100)<.9)
    ([68.238.avg(100)]=1 or [68.238.avg(100)]<.9)

Used as a single filter: ([68.238.avg(100)]=1 or [68.238.avg(100)]<.9) and ([6215.242]>100 and [6215.242]<140) and ([6310.avg(100)]<16) and ([2320.73]<([2311.73.avg(150)]*1.015) and [2320.73]>([2311.73.avg(150)]*.985))
    Last edited by eXo3901; 08-23-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: LTFT already addressed

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    edit - never-mind about LTFT, you already took care of this.

-Part throttle fueling is wild. Slow throttle transitions and steady state driving is needed to really figure this area out. Might also be easier to get things dialed in if you disable LTFTs. Set "2503 - LTFT Max ECT" to 283 degrees to disable LTFT. Each time you start a new log you will need to clear the LTFTs using the special functions in the scanner. (Key on engine off, special functions, fuel tab, clear LTFT).
    -Set your entire PE table to the same value as your Boost PE table.
    -PE Minimum MAP Enable can be set 75kPa-85kPa. It looks like your PE pedal settings will keep you out of PE when cruising, but adjust the pedal settings as desired when you're tuning the part throttle area. (If you're entering PE when you don't want to.)
    -You ride the 1.36g row of your timing table above ~4,800rpm. Might need to scale the entire tune if you need more timing control in higher boost.

-Delete one of the duplicate channels you're logging in the scanner. (RPM, IAT, Coolant)
    -If you are not using the MAF there is no need to log the MAF parameters. You can log MAF state if you'd like to make sure it's failed.

-Add these channels: Dynamic airflow, Injector tip temperature, Manifold Air Temperature, Intake valve temperature, Fuel Trim Cell.

--Dynamic airflow can be used to roughly filter out non-steady state data once the VE tables are more dialed in. Dynamic Airflow will deviate from VE Airflow in your logs, but you want them to closely mirror each other. They should fall in line the more dialed in you get your VE tables. The window (+/- .015) and timeframe (150ms) are semi-arbitrary.
    (DynAir<(VE-Airflow.avg(150)*1.015) and DynAir>(VE-Airflow.avg(150)*.985))
    ([2320.73]<([2311.73.avg(150)]*1.015) and [2320.73]>([2311.73.avg(150)]*.985))
    ---The problem is you are hitting the airflow limit of the computer (67lb/min). So the filter wont work well on the top end when the VE Airflow PID flat-lines at 67.72lb/min. Just so you're aware.

--Use Fuel trim cell to filter out deceleration and idle data. Closed loop and Open loop have different cell numbers, I assume you will tune in closed loop in this example.
    (FTC.avg(100)<16)
    ([6310.avg(100)]<16)

--Use Injector tip temperature to filter out data when the computer is adding fuel. (Rich after re-flash, sitting in traffic if things get hot, etc..)
    (InjTipTemp>100F and InTipTemp<140F)
    ([6215.242]>100 and [6215.242]<140)
    ---You can also apply the same filter to coolant temperature. I use >180F and <205F.

--Use EQ Ratio Commanded to filter PE transitions. (The time frame can vary based on scanner logging rates. I use between 100ms and 500ms depending on throttle snappiness.)
    (EQcmd.avg(100)=1 or EQcmd.avg(100)<.9)
    ([68.238.avg(100)]=1 or [68.238.avg(100)]<.9)

Used as a single filter: ([68.238.avg(100)]=1 or [68.238.avg(100)]<.9) and ([6215.242]>100 and [6215.242]<140) and ([6310.avg(100)]<16) and ([2320.73]<([2311.73.avg(150)]*1.015) and [2320.73]>([2311.73.avg(150)]*.985))
    That is a lot of info!! A good bit is above my head (still trying to learn) I will have to educate myself on setting a lot of this up. I will definitely set my base PE table to the same values as the boost PE. I have not been able to get out for a really long drive as of yet (car hasn't been tagged in 2 years since I tore it apart) get that taken care of this week then I can go wherever without worry. I did try to log in different gears part throttle for longer distances to fill more cells with data. It's really hard to control myself and not hit the throttle to feel the boost!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jray1 View Post
    That is a lot of info!! A good bit is above my head (still trying to learn) I will have to educate myself on setting a lot of this up. I will definitely set my base PE table to the same values as the boost PE. I have not been able to get out for a really long drive as of yet (car hasn't been tagged in 2 years since I tore it apart) get that taken care of this week then I can go wherever without worry. I did try to log in different gears part throttle for longer distances to fill more cells with data. It's really hard to control myself and not hit the throttle to feel the boost!
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Scanner/filters.html
    That link explains the basics of filters.

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Scanner/filters.html
    That link explains the basics of filters.
    Ok, that makes sense to me! Thank you!

Finally got a chance to get out and log a little more data. I am slowly getting over the wall. Car feels wayyyyyy better!

When you get your car licensed, don't forget to do steady state tuning to get your Primary VE table correct. That red line at the bottom of the scanner should look like a smooth curvy line instead of a saw blade. You should get most of the normal running cells populated in your STFT or EQ ERROR table---whichever you are using for low rpm. If you don't have any hills where you are driving, use the brake to add a load and fill the cells.

When you get your car licensed, don't forget to do steady state tuning to get your Primary VE table correct. That red line at the bottom of the scanner should look like a smooth curvy line instead of a saw blade. You should get most of the normal running cells populated in your STFT or EQ ERROR table---whichever you are using for low rpm. If you don't have any hills where you are driving, use the brake to add a load and fill the cells.
    I will see what I can do this afternoon. Got the tag Wednesday so I am good to go besides a small oil leak that I can't seem to track down. Possibly one of the return lines leaking a little bit can't find anything when the car is not running.