Thread: Ford Ranger 3.2L New Tune + Stock

Tuner in Training

Ford Ranger 3.2L New Tune + Stock

Hey guys stock file + my first mod attempt.

3" exhaust is the only upgrade so far.

SID208, doesn't seem like there is a lot we can adjust? Any info on timing / boost would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by happyhallsy8; 08-19-2021 at 02:55 AM.

Tuner
    OK, so you're just trying to disable EGR and lifting torque limits to 550Nm?

Opinion:
    Do heaps of logging first. Find out what's normal first so you can see/measure/understand the changes you make.
    Don't play with timing until you've spent lots more time learning and reading, especially if you're not touching fuel.
    Fuelling: Less than 5% change shouldn't require timing or fuel pressure changes. Over 5% and you need to measure the consequences.
    I don't think the PX1 has an EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold (PX2/3 do), but I'd be keeping an eye on pre-turbo EGT to make sure temps are always sensible.
    Boost change: Depends on the turbo's spare airflow capacity (don't know much about PX1 turbo). Use the MAF reading to help here.

Observation: Why is # of cylinders = 4?

Suggestions:
    EGR tables: If EGR doesn't behave the way you expect set ENABLE to 1024Nm(something the motor will never make) and disable to 0Nm(the minimum value) to create hysteresis in the settings. Having said that I note that Ford use 0 and 0 for the REGEN tables to disable them...

You need to play with 'Torque Limit for Barometric Pressure' if you want 550Nm through to 3000rpm.

I think you'll need to update the 'Desired Torque' values for each gear to better align with your torque spread goal in gearbox truncation torque (like [ECM] 38484) even if you only do it at 100% pedal.

I have zero experience with Ranger manual gearbox's... but I'd change 3rd gear torque limit to 550Nm (unless the manual box or clutch can't take it) as you do the majority of accelerating in 3rd gear. However, I do note that Ford very clearly set the max torque for 3rd to 400Nm in Driver Demand, so I'd tread carefully here.

Well done on a first attempt.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Ian,

I did do a heap of logging but didn't seem to observe much in the way of VCM Scanner PIDs

Did want to improve response / economy more than anything. I did note after changing the transmission nm tables I seem to have dropped 1L/100KM fuel lower. I recently added an EGT gauge just after the turbo and a boost sensor at the map sensor from Turbo smart.

I'm not sure why the cylinders say 4 it seems like this is how it was set from factory? Maybe they consider cyl 1 as 0? I'm not sure what the box is rated at but it's an MT82 and from what I can gather It can handle upto 650ish nm at 3200kg kerb weight based on 370ftlb at 10000lb

The EGR flattening seems to have worked based on how the car now runs, I was unaware of just how little a blanking plate does when the computer is assuming it's getting volume from it.

Tuner
    I haven't played with a PX1 so not sure what PID's are active. I've found for my PX3 I need to use the beta software release, and sometimes do the "Scan for new parameters" (or whatever it's called) and even needed to delete the vehicle .upf file once or twice to get PIDs logged.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    So, Did some mods and some more logging, noticed on some stock tunes my turbo table seemed a little out of whack, once I readjusted the table closer to the other table the ute feels closer to the day I bought it, may be due to them updating the ecu during a recall for the aircon blower motor, which has subsequently died again.

I did update the some other settings, starting to feel a little more dialled in now.

Thanks for the advice VFL77. I've added the new version incase there any more wisdom you have to impart.

I did do some investigating and it's an MT82 gearbox Getrag with GT22 turbo.

Stripped the thread on the EGT sensor today so retapping it in this weekend.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by happyhallsy8; 08-24-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Tuner
    Im sorry to hear that you have the MT82 Coming from a Mustang owner. That transmission is only good for putting around. Hates to shift at high RPM, and has some other flaws that can be fixed but overall not a good trans for high power. But It is from the land rover world. and those guys seem to love it.

Tuner in Training
    Safe to say it's not a very smooth gearbox, I've dropped the gearbox limits to +50 in the higher revs and stock at low.

You want to log EGT Pre turbo not post, the closer to the exhaust manifold the better, inside the manifold is the best. This gives a better idea of in cylinder temp and conditions. Just know your actual EGT's pre turbo will be above 800 during sustained load.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    ... Just know your actual EGT's pre turbo will be above 800 during sustained load.
    I assume you're talking Fahrenheit? In Oz (like most of the world) we use Celsius as our default temp scale, so 800C (1472F) would be a tad too much.

(remember the first Mars Climate Orbiter mission?)
    Ian B

Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    I assume you're talking Fahrenheit? In Oz (like most of the world) we use Celsius as our default temp scale, so 800C (1472F) would be a tad too much.

(remember the first Mars Climate Orbiter mission?)
    lol yes F not C, but on a hot tune you could possibly eclipse 800C if you're drag racing.

Tuner in Training
    So, keeping in mind I can only monitor from the dump pipe, is 300C max I've observed within a safe range? Floats around 220 - 240 max @ 110kph highway use.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhallsy8 View Post
    So, keeping in mind I can only monitor from the dump pipe, is 300C max I've observed within a safe range? Floats around 220 - 240 max @ 110kph highway use.
    It's always hard to say with a post-turbo EGT. At light load there might only be 50C drop across the turbo, at heavy load it might be 300C...
    Does your Ranger have a factory EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold? It doesn't look it from the tune file.
    Does your manifold have the boss that mounts the factory EGT sensor? If so, I'd drill and use it.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    No factory EGT bung unfortunately, logging over the last couple of months has indicated it never sees over 350 post turbo.

Now to figure out if timing will net a fuel economy boost.