Thread: Shifting issue on a 4L60e

Tuner in Training

Shifting issue on a 4L60e

Trying to help a buddy of mine out with a ls swap into his 89 chevy truck. 2002 engine and trans (4L60e) and 0411 PCM. Someone else tuned it for him and he's been driving it for a few weeks now, but the trans starts in 2nd gear in low 1 and D, and you have to manually shift it to get it in 4th. No first or third. You cannot get 1st or 3rd gear no matter where you move the shifter. It doesn't "appear" to be in limp mode. The trans was working fine in the donor tahoe. But this is a different PCM.

Aside from checking for 12v+ at the required locations,and checking the wiring on the harness, what are some things in the tune I can look for verify are correct for proper operation, such as VSS setting and such? What is the PCM looking for from the trans for it to properly control it?

A connection to a good bi-directional scanner would tell you what is going on. Any codes from the OBD2 port?

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsteiner05 View Post
    Aside from checking for 12v+ at the required locations,and checking the wiring on the harness, what are some things in the tune I can look for verify are correct for proper operation, such as VSS setting and such? What is the PCM looking for from the trans for it to properly control it?
    "My oil pressure light is on. Aside from checking the oil level, is there anything I can look at in the tune ...?"

Come on. The most common cause of that list of symptoms is missing power or ground at the trans 20-way connector. Get out there and roll around in the dirt a little. It's good for you!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    "My oil pressure light is on. Aside from checking the oil level, is there anything I can look at in the tune ...?"

Come on. The most common cause of that list of symptoms is missing power or ground at the trans 20-way connector. Get out there and roll around in the dirt a little. It's good for you!
    Hooked the Solus scanner up, all solenoid circuit codes, pointed to no power at the trans. Checked for 12v and had it at the pink wire, dropped the pan and found that pin pushed out of the connector.
    Pinned it back in, Trans shifts perfect.

Thanks for the at-a-boy talk...