Thread: 5.3, SS2, Idling but not very well

5.3, SS2, Idling but not very well

I'm new, second LS swap, first was a stock swap, didn't learn much about tuning. So I've been watching YouTube video's and reading here, and trying to actually learn more this time around.

Engine is Gen3 5.3, SS2, LS6 manifold and car injectors 28.5 lb/hr, china harness- Engine is running on a stand with no trans attached.

I've watched the Goatrope, lowbuck, Driveway engineer videos, and made changes. it'll start easy, but it hunts around a fair amount, I posted the log. In the area of the log where the timing is flat and not bouncing around, that was me forcing it in the vehicle control and special functions.

I'm not really sure where to go from here to get it a little smoother, also it'll die if I try to rev it up- I know I could download and try some tunes, but I'd like to know more about the process.

Any advice? I posted the log and the tune

Thanks in advance.

EDIT, I realize I didn't do my injectors correctly, will fix.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-22-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Add the MAF sensor, MAP sensor, knock sensors, TPS, o2 sensors (if you have a complete exhaust) to your logs.

If the exhaust is open headers you will need to unplug the o2 sensors to stop them from freaking out about all the open air.

Don't change the transmission type to manual if it's not a manual file. Leave it as a stock 4L60e and disable the transmission abuse mode and turn off all related transmission DTC's.

I'd probably go back to your stock base running airflow and only add like 10-15% for starters and work it from there.

Your idle timing is way to high, it doesn't need 30 degrees of timing. Aim for around 20-22 degrees.

On the injector data just make sure you are changing all for parts. The flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Add the MAF sensor, MAP sensor, knock sensors, TPS, o2 sensors (if you have a complete exhaust) to your logs.

If the exhaust is open headers you will need to unplug the o2 sensors to stop them from freaking out about all the open air.

Don't change the transmission type to manual if it's not a manual file. Leave it as a stock 4L60e and disable the transmission abuse mode and turn off all related transmission DTC's.

I'd probably go back to your stock base running airflow and only add like 10-15% for starters and work it from there.

Your idle timing is way to high, it doesn't need 30 degrees of timing. Aim for around 20-22 degrees.

On the injector data just make sure you are changing all for parts. The flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset data.

Thanks for the response! I did all these things and it's running better than ever, it will now rev up and not die when I let off the throttle.

-unplugged the o2s, I have stock manifolds with about two feet of pipe into a set of tiny flowmaster race mufflers I had laying around.

-Transmission was set to Manual, I thought I was supposed to do that, I switched it back to 4l60, PRND- none, abuse mode disabled.

- I set VE about halfway back to stock

- I set the timing to 22- in drive, I forgot to set it the same in P/N, but I don't think it matters, the scanner always reports it's in gear for whatever reason.

- I downloaded a 2004 GTO from the tune repository and copied Injector Flow Rate, Min injector pulse, Short Pulse adder and the offset vs volts data, I didn't have that right in the previous log I posted. And, best I can tell these injectors would have come in a 2004 GTO, however I also though they'd come in the same year Camaro and corvette but they had slightly different injector data. I think its correct, IDK for sure?

Attached is the last log and tune.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-22-2022 at 05:48 PM.