Thread: New project, need a base tune to get me started.

Potential Tuner

New project, need a base tune to get me started.

Hello from Australia.

I'm new to the forum and looking for some help to set up my initial tune.
    I have a 2002 Holden Commodore SS Ute. Modifications and specs listed below.

5.7 LS1
    LS6 Intake
    BTR Cam kit stage 3 - 231/244 dur. 631/615 lift. 12.5 lsa
    Mafless OTR intake
    Stock reco 241 heads
    Trunnion upgrade
    Dual roller chain and gears
    Tri Y headers, 100cel metal cats and dual 2.5" exhaust fitted with a Bosch Lambda sensor LSU 4.9
    Rebuilt and improved 4L60E
    9.5" custom built 3,800rpm lockup converter
    3.9 gears
    Upgrade Walbro pump
    38lb genuine Bosch injectors
    New genuine GM coils, leads and plugs

I'm a qualified mechanic so I have a reasonable understanding of the tuning requirements however at 60 years of age I'm a complete novice when it comes to custom EFI tuning. I don't intend to use a dyno as I have no real interest in before and after HP numbers so my tuning will be road based.

I have joined the HP Academy online learning and have invested in the HP tuner with pro link.

I'm in the middle of everything at the moment and expect to have the car back on the road in 6 - 8 weeks. I'm looking for a base mafless tune that I can load in that will let me start and run he engine to run-in the cam and get the car moving, from there I'll log and make small adjustments as required.

Apologies for the long 1st post, hope somebody can help.

Tuner in Training
    you should be able to locate an ls1 tune in here somewhere.....

https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tip wassat but I've looked there and wasn't able to locate something suitable to get me started, there is a few random stock tunes but nothing that is any use to me. Unless I'm doing something wrong in the search criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by paulie0735 View Post
    Thanks for the tip wassat but I've looked there and wasn't able to locate something suitable to get me started, there is a few random stock tunes but nothing that is any use to me. Unless I'm doing something wrong in the search criteria?
    I don't think your doing anything wrong.
    The repository was stripped of all modified tunes a few months ago due to ongoing, and increasing, EPA emissions crack downs.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    Thanks dhoagland, that explains a lot. So, back to the drawing board. I know how much time some people invest in their tunes and I'm not looking to tap into somebody else's sweat and time I just need something basic that will get me up and running mafless on the stock engine so that when the new engine is finished I can start it and run the cam in, from there I'm happy to progress the tune on my own, I just need some basic setting to get me started.... there is so much conflicting advise out there as to how to setup the factory ecu to run on SD only and to make things even harder the advice also varies across different engine generations. I'm keen to ditch the maf because I'm fairly confident that due to the cam I have chosen the maf will struggle and the early maf's were quite restrictive as well. Sorting the fact from opinion is proving very difficult..
    Last edited by paulie0735; 09-09-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Tuner
    Hi mate, I've sent you a message.

Tuner in Training
    The HP tuners Suite has a 2000 LS1 stock tune in the "Tune Files" folder.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie0735 View Post
    Thanks dhoagland, that explains a lot. So, back to the drawing board. I know how much time some people invest in their tunes and I'm not looking to tap into somebody else's sweat and time I just need something basic that will get me up and running mafless on the stock engine so that when the new engine is finished I can start it and run the cam in, from there I'm happy to progress the tune on my own, I just need some basic setting to get me started.... there is so much conflicting advise out there as to how to setup the factory ecu to run on SD only and to make things even harder the advice also varies across different engine generations. I'm keen to ditch the maf because I'm fairly confident that due to the cam I have chosen the maf will struggle and the early maf's were quite restrictive as well. Sorting the fact from opinion is proving very difficult..
    Were you able to find a base tune? I have a BTR stage 3 LS1/LS2 cam I just installed on my 2001 C5 manual and can?t seem to find one to build off of