Thread: BOLT ON TUNING (2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi)

Potential Tuner

BOLT ON TUNING (2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi)

I'm a day into trying to find easy ways to tune my truck and ive kinda got it figured out and was looking for pointers an or a tune file for it. Its got headers, intake,throttle body spacer, and its he 3.92 gear ratio in the rear end.

Please help?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedhemi5.7 View Post
    I'm a day into trying to find easy ways to tune my truck and ive kinda got it figured out and was looking for pointers an or a tune file for it. Its got headers, intake,throttle body spacer, and its he 3.92 gear ratio in the rear end.

Please help?
    If you are looking for an easy way to tune your truck then there are two routes you can take.

First, purchase a handheld tuner from Superchips or Diablosport and run with a "canned tune".

Or, pay a custom tuner to tune your truck.

If you are looking into buying an MPVI-2 from HP Tuners and tuning the truck yourself then you may want to rethink that because this is not easy for beginners. If you do not have any experience with engine diagnostics and drivability then HP Tuners will look like a different language to you.

Now, with that being said, a custom tune from a reputable tuner with a dyno will give you the best results but the fastest way would be to purchase a handheld tuner.

I always recommend a custom tune because not every truck is the same. Hope I helped you in some way that aids in your decision making.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fast69mopar View Post
    If you are looking for an easy way to tune your truck then there are two routes you can take.

First, purchase a handheld tuner from Superchips or Diablosport and run with a "canned tune".

Or, pay a custom tuner to tune your truck.

If you are looking into buying an MPVI-2 from HP Tuners and tuning the truck yourself then you may want to rethink that because this is not easy for beginners. If you do not have any experience with engine diagnostics and drivability then HP Tuners will look like a different language to you.

Now, with that being said, a custom tune from a reputable tuner with a dyno will give you the best results but the fastest way would be to purchase a handheld tuner.

I always recommend a custom tune because not every truck is the same. Hope I helped you in some way that aids in your decision making.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    I Got the MPVI-2 for my birthday and i really would like to learn how to use it and get to know how to tune things myself, is there a class or something of that sort to take or maybe even like a recommended video? i have been trying to do research and learn how to use it based on Youtube and stuff, but im in college currently so i dont have as much time as id like to learn how to use everything.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedhemi5.7 View Post
    I Got the MPVI-2 for my birthday and i really would like to learn how to use it and get to know how to tune things myself, is there a class or something of that sort to take or maybe even like a recommended video? i have been trying to do research and learn how to use it based on Youtube and stuff, but im in college currently so i dont have as much time as id like to learn how to use everything.
    There are classes available but if you do not have alot of time to dedicate yourself to it then I think it would be a waste of money for you.

I have learned a ton by watching YouTube videos and by searching every little thing. I started by clicking on every single tab and box in the VCM Editor and if I didn't know what it was or what it did then I would do a search for that specific thing.

Before I learned anything about custom tuning or HP Tuners I had worked for Chrysler as a tech for over 20 years so I had a very good understanding or diagnostics and drivability. One thing I suggest to new users is to make a special folder on your laptop for tuning. Then, I created a worksheet to list the changes that I have made, the table #'s, tab names, and then I flash the vehicle and drive it. I take notes on the changes and monitor how the vehicle drives and save that info on my worksheet. That way if I don't like the way the vehicle reacts I can change it back or make adjustments for it to suit my preference.

I always recommend to new users to make only one change at a time. If you are following someone else's steps then bookmark where those steps are saved so you can revert back easily.