Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0334-type direct OBDII wideband for older vehicles. Any takers ?

Advanced Tuner
    Any changes on PIN-6 ? or PIN-10 (if present )

I can detect the battery voltage > 13v to know when the engine is running. But, I still do not know how to tell when the IGN in in RUN or ACC.

This would be fine, except that I think people would want their gauges to turn on, with the key. I know how to make the gauge wait until the engine starts, to start heating up the sensor. And, I can, eve, let one of the gauge buttons override the wait state.

My worst case scenario is to wake the device up, once, every second or so and, query the ECU state. Then, go back to sleep... Functional, but, not a good look

Advanced Tuner
    I have 4 wires pinned into my 2004 Silverado OBDII port

PIN-2
    PIN-4
    PIN-5
    PIN-16

I ignored PIN-2 because what I looked up described it as "Serial Data Link - Class 2 - Purple"

Advanced Tuner
    That's what I figured. PIN-2 would be the one to look at, then. Looking for some change, when the ECU powers up.

I did, BTW, decide to go ahead and add the power terminals, for the WBs.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay, so I checked PIN-2 (Using PIN-5 as a ground) and found a few things. I don't know how this PIN normally reads, but what I found is that maybe VATS seems to "wake up" whatever is on PIN-2....

Truck totally at rest with no key in the ignition - 0.00v

Sliding the key into the ignition results in a "surge" (for lack of a better term, I'll use surge) of about 1.36v, and then settles down to around 0.31v

Key just sitting in the ignition, with the ignition OFF will yield somewhere close to 0.31v

Changing the key from the OFF, to the ON position (engine off), voltage will surge to around 3.83v and then settle back to 0.46v to 0.51v

Going from key OFF, to cranking, and RUN (normal start) will yield a surge in voltage around 3.74v to 3.91v and then it will settle into a constantly changing range of 0.38v to 0.69v while the engine is running

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting Maybe I can add an A/D on PIN-2. And, add a wake-up mode, when the value is over 200mv

Good data. I will get my 2002 2500HD back next week. I will see if this is consistent.

thanks

-mike

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds good. I also have a 99 Silverado here with a 2002 2500HD PCM and a 6.0L 4L80E swap. I will be working on the tune tomorrow. Checking the readings on it shouldnt be a problem for a 3rd source

Advanced Tuner
    It would be really great if someone with a Ford 1996-2007 (J8150-PWM) vehicle could check the state of PIN-10 with the key off vs. on.

Additionally, it would be nice to know the resistance between PIN-2 and PIN-10 WITH THE IGNITION OFF, going both ways.

I am guessing that PIN-10 goes to 2.5v to 5.0v, when the ignition is on ? That would help immensely
    Last edited by dr.mike; 09-01-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Dr Mike has this progressed any?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. I have the initial electronics design done. I got the simulators for the J1850 VPW( GM/MOPAR) and PWM(FORD) ECUs.

It looks like I will need to go to a slightly larger housing, to accommodate the extra terminals for the WB power wires. But, it's only about 1/2" difference.

I also got my 2002 2500HD back to verify the voltage readings on the OBD2 port, for wake-up conditions.

I am still looking for someone with a 1996-2006 Ford, to check the wake-up conditions for the PWM type ECUs.

So far, so good.

Advanced Tuner
    I just did some testing on the Chevy 2500HD. It looks like I can pull a good wake-up signal from the OBDII port.

So, i should be good to finish up the electrical design

Tuner in Training
    Id be in. And if it's any help, I do injection molding and could prob help with the housings..

Potential Tuner
    I would be in for this as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely interested.

Tuner in Training
    If I'm reading correctly, probably something I should have done prior to purchasing the AEM 30-0334, I will not be able to use my WB setup as is being that my vehicle is a 2002.

However, having this plug and play component would be cool, especially if I don't have to permanently modify any wires.
    2002 Suburban 5.3L (BTR V2 Stage II Truck Cam Kit) | 4L60E (Corvette Servo)

I think that may be the wake on message that the BCM takes from the key in cylinder switch. This may be the initial signal to wake modules from sleep mode.

Tuner in Training
    Can I put this on my Santa list soon?

Advanced Tuner
    Just to show that I have not been completely loafing on this one

The 4 spring-terminals are for the +12v, Ground, CAN-H and CAN-L wires, from the AEM 30-0300/0310 harnesses. Power for the WB will be provided and controlled by the device. I THINK, I can control the warm-up cycles well enough to power 2 widebands, directly from the OBDII port, without any extra wiring.

PIC1.JPG
    PIC2.JPG

On the down-side, the global chip shortage is killing me on this one. Guess who is at the end of the line, for any automotive grade parts...
    I had to roll my own CAN transceivers from discrete transistors !

Tuner in Training
    give it to us straight, doc, are we looking at ~Q2 or Q3-2022 for first deliveries?

also, keep up the good work

Advanced Tuner
    It's all about the chips... If I can get the parts, I should be able to get units in the field by the end of Q1. It's difficult to commit $$ to a design, knowing that the chosen parts could dry up, at any moment. I already had to go with my 4th choice for a CPU. It's not a bad CPU. But the cost is higher. And, it is, physically, larger. So, I ended up needing to drop support for the ISO9141-2 interface, to get everything to fit.

Tuner in Training
    Then good luck!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on this side.

Thank you for the update.