Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0334-type direct OBDII wideband for older vehicles. Any takers ?

Advanced Tuner
    For the TL;DR crowd

This box is an OBD2 "piggyback" ECU that serves up custom PIDs, as if it were part of the stock vehicle's data bus. It is a pass-thru connector that goes between the vehicle's OBD2 port and the HPTuners logging device ( MPVI MPVI2 MPVI3 or ancient serial adapter ).

It has 4 spring terminals to connect the AEM X-Series wideband(s). Ground, +12v power, CANH & CANL. These are the only wires that need to be connected from the wideband harness. Power is supplied, to the wideband(s), by this unit. So, the wiring is greatly simplified; and, portable.

It performs a similar function to that of the AEM 30-0334's OBD2 interface. i.e. , it converts ordinary AEMNet CANBus signals to the OBD2 protocol. But, where the 30-0334 can only convert to the CAN version of the OBD2 protocol ( generally, used after the 2006 model year ), this box, also, supports the older J1850 protocols, used by GM, Ford, and Chrysler, prior to 2007.

This box is not, in and of itself, a wideband. It is just the necessary hardware to support the CAN and J1850 protocols. With it, you can use the standard 30-0300 or 30-0310 widebands, as if they were 30-0334s. But, they will work on all domestic vehicles produced from 1996-present. Whereas the 30-0334 can only function for CAN based vehicles, produced from about 2007 to present.

It has a few extra features ( some of which were suggested, in this thread ).

• It supports multiple 30-0300 or 30-0310 wideband channels
    • It provides power for the wideband(s), directly from the OBD2 connector. ( much easier/portable install )
    • It can control the wideband heaters to help extend sensor life.
    • There is a provision for an exhaust gas back-pressure sensor and compensation circuit.

In the future, I am planning add more devices that it can support. Currently, I am considering bringing back the old AEM DynoShaft type design. So, real, measured, HP and Torque, would appear as custom PIDs.

But, one thing at a time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Will this also work with the 0334 to work with the older vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    Not with the 30-0334. But, rather, instead of the 30-0334. i.e. it works with the original 30-0300 and/or 30-0310. But, instead of providing an OBD2 interface, only for CAN based vehicles, like the 30-0334, it works will all CAN and J1850 based vehicles. Which is, pretty much, all domestic vehicles, since 1996.

The power, ground, CANH and CANL wires from the 30-0300 plug into those terminals on the side. The box converts the AEMNet CAN signals to J1850 ( and CAN ) OBD2. Also, power is drawn from the OBD2 port. So, no need to hack up the fuse box, etc.

It is possible to re-FLASH a 30-0334 back to 30-0300 firmware, and, cut off the OBD2 connector, to work with this device. But, the 30-0334, usually costs more than the 30-0300. So, it doesn't make a lot of sense ?

Senior Tuner
    10-4. So once these are available, buy the 0310 and then you can do “all” vehicles. For some reason I thought it would only work for the non CAN vehicles.

That's pretty cool. If I were doing more logging I'd probably try to get one to play with and give you feedback on but I'm just not logging/tuning as much these days so probably better for someone else to try! Glad to see people are developing stuff like this though.

Advanced Tuner
    10-4. So once these are available, buy the 0310 and then you can do ?all? vehicles. For some reason I thought it would only work for the non CAN vehicles.
    Not quite all. There is an ISO-9141 protocol, used, mostly by pre-CAN Japanese vehicles. It is, actually, one of the easiest protocols to cover. I had to drop it, in order to save room on the PCB. But, I don't think HPTuners supports any of those vehicles, anyway ?

The hardware for CAN is in the devices. I have not worked on it, till now, because I have been concentrating on the J1850 stuff. The CAN part is, kinda, a know thing. i.e. I can pretty much copy over the code from the 30-0334 for the CAN part.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2005 SRT-4 with a MPVI 3 I would be willing to test this with you. If I could get this to work with my wideband then I could use the other 2 channels of pro-link for oil and fuel pressure

Advanced Tuner
    If you have a prolink, you should be able to connect the wideband via CAN.

Advanced Tuner
    But, while on the subject of Chrysler products,does anyone know what ECU I can get, that I can get the pinouts for, so that I can run it on my test bench?

My ECU simulators do GM and Ford. But, not Chrysler. And, I have had no luck finding one.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    For the TL;DR crowd

This box is an OBD2 "piggyback" ECU that serves up custom PIDs, as if it were part of the stock vehicle's data bus. It is a pass-thru connector that goes between the vehicle's OBD2 port and the HPTuners logging device ( MPVI MPVI2 MPVI3 or ancient serial adapter ).

It has 4 spring terminals to connect the AEM X-Series wideband(s). Ground, +12v power, CANH & CANL. These are the only wires that need to be connected from the wideband harness. Power is supplied, to the wideband(s), by this unit. So, the wiring is greatly simplified; and, portable.

It performs a similar function to that of the AEM 30-0334's OBD2 interface. i.e. , it converts ordinary AEMNet CANBus signals to the OBD2 protocol. But, where the 30-0334 can only convert to the CAN version of the OBD2 protocol ( generally, used after the 2006 model year ), this box, also, supports the older J1850 protocols, used by GM, Ford, and Chrysler, prior to 2007.

This box is not, in and of itself, a wideband. It is just the necessary hardware to support the CAN and J1850 protocols. With it, you can use the standard 30-0300 or 30-0310 widebands, as if they were 30-0334s. But, they will work on all domestic vehicles produced from 1996-present. Whereas the 30-0334 can only function for CAN based vehicles, produced from about 2007 to present.

It has a few extra features ( some of which were suggested, in this thread ).

• It supports multiple 30-0300 or 30-0310 wideband channels
    • It provides power for the wideband(s), directly from the OBD2 connector. ( much easier/portable install )
    • It can control the wideband heaters to help extend sensor life.
    • There is a provision for an exhaust gas back-pressure sensor and compensation circuit.

In the future, I am planning add more devices that it can support. Currently, I am considering bringing back the old AEM DynoShaft type design. So, real, measured, HP and Torque, would appear as custom PIDs.

But, one thing at a time
    How do I get one or two of these?

Advanced Tuner
    PM me.

Potential Tuner
    I have the pinouts for The SRT4 ECU, and I can send you a spare if you would like, as long as I can get it back when your done as they are getting hard to come by.

Advanced Tuner
    Looked on eBay. Those look kinda pricey, in case it were to get damaged, in the process.

Potential Tuner
    Looked on eBay. Those look kinda pricey, in case it were to get damaged, in the process.
    I have a ECU from a 2017 dodge charger you can have Ill send ya if you want? Im not sure if your looking for newer stuff though. I do not need this one back as I have sold the car.

Tuner in Training
    I was excited to see new posts in this thread

Is it possible for me to get one of these?

PM me.
    PM box is full

Thank you in advance!
    2002 Suburban 5.3L (BTR V2 Stage II Truck Cam Kit) | 4L60E (Corvette Servo)

Advanced Tuner
    PM box is full
    I cleared some space

I have a ECU from a 2017 dodge charger you can have Ill send ya if you want? Im not sure if your looking for newer stuff though. I do not need this one back as I have sold the car.
    I was able to grab an PCM from a 4.7L V8 Durango. That should do it, at least for the JTEC stuff.

Tuner in Training
    I cleared some space

I was able to grab an PCM from a 4.7L V8 Durango. That should do it, at least for the JTEC stuff.
    sent PM. I have my WS6 running and need one now.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2007 Saab 97x. It hAS THE e67 ECU. I cannot get my aem 30-0334 gauge to work in the scanner. Do I need your adapter? I'm not sure if my Saab is canbus or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTRODZ Dallas View Post
    I have a 2007 Saab 97x. It hAS THE e67 ECU. I cannot get my aem 30-0334 gauge to work in the scanner. Do I need your adapter? I'm not sure if my Saab is canbus or not.
    Open a log file, click the 'Log Details' tab at the bottom of the channels list. It will tell you if the system is VPW or CAN.

(all Gen 4 (E40, E38, E67, E78) ECMs are CANbus, none of the Gen 3s (P01, P59) are)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Open a log file, click the 'Log Details' tab at the bottom of the channels list. It will tell you if the system is VPW or CAN.

(all Gen 4 (E40, E38, E67, E78) ECMs are CANbus, none of the Gen 3s (P01, P59) are)
    Thanks. It shows can. Now gotta figure out why it won't recognize my AEM gauge.