Thread: 04 GTO - Traction Control

04 GTO - Traction Control

Ever since the goat was procharged, traction control will sometimes turn itself off. I have tried to figure out when it was happening and thought it may be an effect of burst knock, but I have since tuned the delta air and it is still happening.

It will happen right at startup usually (although sometimes it happens after it's driven 1/2 mile or so).

It's running a 2bar SD OS. Has anyone seen this before and how did you fix it. If it turns itself off, you can't turn it back on.

My car has done this if I rev it up after start up. It is kind of odd. Except mine will clear out.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I've never seen a code set or anything. You would think there would be some kind of TC code.

Yeah I know it, its quite strange.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I just put a higher stall speed torque converter on my 5.3L 03 truck, and it seems to be doing the same thing. I am not running forced induction.

Mine seems to clear out after 10 seconds or so.
    03 Avalanche Z66
    5.3L, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, circle D 3200 stall converter, truetrac diff, shorty JBA headers
    Replaced 5.3 with ATK 6.0 460 hp crate motor - haven't put sc and w/m on it yet

00 vert vette
    Rebuilt LS1 with large cam, injectors, ported and slightly milled 243 heads, Weiand/Lingenfelter Intake Manifold, Vararam Ram Air Intake, LT headers, no cats, Corsa Indy exhaust, higher stall converter

I think I finally figured out what was causing the TC Off indicator to come on by itself in my truck. I started seeing lately my ABS and Brake idiot lights coming on together, usually when braking at over 70 mph, which is of course not a pleasant time to see those things come on!

Via the Scanner, I saw that codes C0298, C0283, and C0237 were set. I think one, if not both, of the first two codes were set due to my having changed the default for the TC to be Off instead of On, and in my research into how to fix the ABS and brakes, found that if I didn't follow the directions (which are a bit involved) correctly, that could cause one of these codes to be set.

Anyway, I keyed in on C0237, which indicated that the ABS module was getting erratic rear-wheel speed readings. After determining that my truck only had front-wheel speed-sensors, I had to conclude that the problem was with my vehicle speed sensor in the rear of the transmission. Since I had been seeing some erratic behavior in my speedometer, and also at least one of my scanner logs, I thought this made sense.

Yesterday I replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor, which I have to say is probably one of the easist repair jobs I have ever done. Put ramps in front of the tires on the passenger side, drove up on them, crawled under the truck, pulled the electrical connector, which is one of the easier ones on this vehicle to disconnect (some are a real pain), removed one bolt with an 8 mm socket, easily pulled the old sensor out of its position and inserted the new one, which my local GM dealer sold me for less than $30, replaced the bolt, and then reinstalled the electrical connector. (Getting that bolt started in the threads was probably the hardest part of this fix.)

Took the truck out for a test drive. Turned the TC back On, and could not get it to turn itself off like it used to. Got it up to speed and hammered the accelerator up to about 75, and the speedometer action was nice and smooth, whereas this passing-like acceleration used to be where I would see it getting jerky. I then slammed the brakes, although not hard enough for the ABS to want to engage. I used to nearly always feel the ABS pulsing through the brake pedal, but the brakes felt normal. I had previously tried the "fix the ABS ground" repair, which helped, but didn't completely get rid of that problem.

Time will tell if this is truely the fix I was wanting, but so far, very good. And the price and the effort are very minimal. I suspect that when my tranny fell off the floor jack when my buddy and I were trying to reinstall it after my torque converter change, the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) got thumped a bit too much. If you get any vehicle speed-related issues, I'd try changing your VSS. Even if you aren't, and don't want to see the TC acting strange, you may want to give this a try anyway since it's cheap and easy.
    03 Avalanche Z66
    5.3L, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, circle D 3200 stall converter, truetrac diff, shorty JBA headers
    Replaced 5.3 with ATK 6.0 460 hp crate motor - haven't put sc and w/m on it yet

00 vert vette
    Rebuilt LS1 with large cam, injectors, ported and slightly milled 243 heads, Weiand/Lingenfelter Intake Manifold, Vararam Ram Air Intake, LT headers, no cats, Corsa Indy exhaust, higher stall converter

on a '04 GTO it's the ABS control. on the passenger side in front of the firewall is the control module. check to make sure that it has the wires plugged all of the way. if the one plug is pulled out your TC will turn off. you may have done something on your install there. it has nothing to do with your tune
    2004 GTO Blk/Rd M6 (Ziggy)

Best ET: 12.390 ET, 112.73MPH, 1.819 60ft