Thread: MPVI2 detect protocol failed on Gen 3 LS

Potential Tuner

MPVI2 detect protocol failed on Gen 3 LS

Hey guys,

I have been having an issue with the mpvi2 connecting on my gen 3 pcm. I have tried various laptops and updated all drivers.

I have tried 2 gen 3 pcms and on all of those it says detect protocol failed, I have looked through all the forum posts with this issue and tried everything people have suggested.

When i connect to my gen 4 pcm it works just fine.

I have two different scan tools and have tried those on the gen 3 pcms and it reads the pcm and clears all codes.

Im at a loss, I have tested voltages and checked grounds.

any suggestions anyone has i am willing to try.

Thank you

Do any of the GEN 3 vehicles have aftermarket alarms or radio's?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Yes I opened a ticket, the number is 21118 I believe.

Potential Tuner
    No all stock radios.

Advanced Tuner
    I have the same issue. I just opened a ticket with support. For me, all gen 3 ecus will not work with my MPVI2, but if I use my original MPVI Pro, it works fine.

Potential Tuner
    same here i tried reading several gen 3 ecus and doesnt let me read all it says is detect protocol failed. then i read with my boss hptuners also a mpvi pro and his reads just fine. i dont know why this is happening it only lets me read gen 4 and up. i have drivers updated and everything up to date.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsx_covi View Post
    same here i tried reading several gen 3 ecus and doesnt let me read all it says is detect protocol failed. then i read with my boss hptuners also a mpvi pro and his reads just fine. i dont know why this is happening it only lets me read gen 4 and up. i have drivers updated and everything up to date.
    Sounds like the VPW chip in your device failed, not being able to comm with gen 3 but working fine on gen 4(CAN based) is a tell tale sign.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"