Thread: LSJ Help.

Tuner in Training

Post LSJ Help.

Considering the fact that the LSJ is kind of tougher to tune in terms of setting up a proper VE histogram, 80lb injector data, offsets and flow rates, e85 and many other things.
    If anyone is willing, does anyone have anything to help me? I have a 80lb injector test tune built but it would be heaps easier to compare it to a more experienced tuners' data. Anything will help. i spent the last month rapidly learning everything I can about tuning and applying and its working, its pretty awesome. But also can be daunting at times and just plain time consuming as finding certain specific info is pretty difficult sometimes. I also have a few things I'd like to run by someone for a new perspective on things.
    Ultimately I would like to tune my car on E85 and if someone can give me a file to compare to it would help a lot.
    Thanks for reading and thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Cleophus_2014; 08-22-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    I don't have a files to share anymore, but i can still share what's left in my head. If you have a decent base VE tune on pump gas, then you don't really need to change the injector base data although technically the flow will be different (ethanol has a higher cP and cSt). Take your VE table and multiply the whole table by about 1.30. By math, E85 requires 34% more fuel, however it is easy to be off on the base data and go to rich. Dialing the initial jump back usually helped get them running, at least for me. Same applies for the MAF.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the reply! The VE table was my main concern for E85, I can most likely handle the rest. If I have any questions, after doing research to no avail, can I PM you?

ditch VE and jump to MAF, then just scale your injectors

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

I haven't seen your name pop up in my feeds for a while. Nice to see your still around Japeatr.

Tuner
    Does it make more sense to tune MAF and then after that, tune VE or just stick to MAF and ignore VE completely? (Yes, I am a noob)

Depends on your setup.
    A lot of times the VE table axis are overshot which means your out of range. Best option is to tune the VE table as much as possible so you have a fallback for sensor failure. Then tune the MAF and leave it active as it will be the sensor that can calculate airmass beyond the axis limits. It prevents you from having to scale which is possible but also kind of a pain in the rear.
    The more power you make the larger your MAF tube diameter needs to be to prevent overshooting this sensors signal range as well.
    I used the following with decent results:
    -For stock like applications with full bolt ons and a 2.7 pulley can have either 2.5"-3" diameter intake tube
    -Ported blower with 2.6 pulley and M1 spray wanted a 3" tube.
    -Anything like a Harrop TVS1320 needs a 3" tube. 3.1" pulley is standard and is around 20 psi.. but doesn't really matter because the volume on this even with the 3.35" 17 psi pulley still wanted a 3" tube in the testing i was doing.
    -The turbo kits should also have a 3" tube.
    -If you really lean on it with a massive Harrop 1740 or large drag spec turbo then these will all want 3" to 3.5" tubes. At this point being drag specific, i would highly recommended running a newer standalone. I used to run Motec and Megasquirt, but now i would recommend a Haltech, Fuel Tech, or Holley Terminator X-Max. Using these ecu's allows you to custom tailor the VE axis without scaling tables so you can have both a massive VE table and a MAF if desired. As result of the no scaling features of these ecu's, these are also much easier to deal with when your balling hard with Ethanol Blending, M1, M5 and Nitro Blends.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-28-2021 at 01:15 PM.

I should also mention that a large MAF tube causes loss of airflow velocity at the low end of the MAF sensor range. When running an 3" tube or larger you may see idle stability issues when using the MAF. You can avoid this by enabling the MAF sensor around 2000 rpm to avoid this instability range. This method uses the VE to handle the fueling below that rpm value and at idle.