Thread: 6.2L Engine Swap no start issue

Advanced Tuner

6.2L Engine Swap no start issue

I am helping a friend with an engine swap to get it running, and I feel like I am overlooking something simple. So far, this engine swap has not started on it's own yet. I'll post as many details as I know below. I don't have access to my files where I am, but will post a tune file later, and cranking logs when I get back over to his shop.

Vehicle Details

1980's Monte Carlo SS
    2011 Silverado 6.2L Engine
    2010 Camaro injectors, intake, MAF, and MAP (purchased new online, but ordered based on 2010 Camaro)
    Stage 2 Cam with DOD and VVT delete
    Wiring harness brand unknown to me (will get details if needed. friend ordered it online)
    Unknown year 4L60E Trans
    2011 E38 ECM
    Reman T42 TCM (flashed to a 2011 4.8 truck file with a 60E)

Things that I would consider noteworthy...
    - The MAF shows no reading on the scanner in hz or flow (It should just refer to the MAP in this situation, though)
    - The IAT reads -40 at all times (I know this is a default when it has no reading, but wouldn't think it would create a non start issue)
    - When we started scanning, the Pedal % read backwards (0=100, 100=0, and the sweep went backwards). re-pinned 2 wires and is correct now.
    - We have fuel pressure (I am told it was tested good)
    - We have known good compression on all 8 (I was not present for the test, so I do not have numbers)
    - Spark tester shows spark
    - Noid light shows injector pulse
    - The car will briefly run on starting fluid sprayed in the TB (I'm told. Was not there for this. I tried this, and it backfired through the TB)

Tuning wise, we have done/verified
    - VATS patch 1, and 2 are "disabled" and it was a Write Entire (performed at least 4-5 times)
    - Starter fault checks is disabled
    - FPCM fitted is set to "no"
    - DOD is disabled, and all related DTC set to no error
    - VVT set to camshafts none in airflow, related spark tables zero'd out, and all related DTC no error
    - All basic startup items normally done for a small camshaft have been set
    - Idle spark advance set to 20 degrees, and target at 800rpm as a starting point
    - I used injector, MAF, and MAP data from a known good/stock 2010 Camaro file

This thing will not even ATTEMPT to fire up while cranking. Pedaling it does not help at all

What are some overly simple things I could be over looking?
    Last edited by village_idiot; 09-19-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Senior Tuner
    It should start with those changes. Are you getting an injector pulse? If not, is it getting power to the injectors?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes sir. Noid light shows injector pulse

Senior Tuner
    Pull a couple of spark plugs. See if they have any fuel residue. If they don't have any, then your injectors are likely clogged. If they have been exposed to fuel, then set up for any significant time, they will clog. I've seen the issue so much, I bought an injector flow bench and cleaner.

Tuner in Training
    I would verify you are actually getting fuel. Pull a plug and check. Injectors could ve clogged.

Advanced Tuner
    Kevin, I actually think that will be one of my next things to purchase. Do you know of a low to mid priced one that works well?

There sure were a lot of threads exactly like this with no-start-after-disabling-VATS on E38s as soon as 4.8.7 was released. AFAIK not one single person with the issue ever posted back what the resolution turned out to be. Not one.

Advanced Tuner
    Squirrel I think this is my first Gen 4 VATS delete since 4.8.7

Ive done several Gen 3 PCM since, but this the only E38. Hmm?
    Last edited by village_idiot; 08-22-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Make sure the harness has switched +12v (ACC & RUN) to TCM 11 and ECM X1 18. OE diagrams call it 'Accessory Wakeup Serial Data' but it's really a switched power input.

Advanced Tuner
    I performed the Write Entires to ECM and TCM both with my bench harness, and in the car, but I can double check.

Oh no I meant just in general, not related to any possible VATS problem. That circuit gets missed mostly with DIY reworked harnesses because of what GM calls it. People see 'serial data' in the pinout and assume with none of the class2 modules present that it's OK to remove it.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh, I hear ya. Yeah, as soon as I go back over there in the next few afternoons, I will check for keyed power there. This is supposed to be about a $600 wiring harness according to the owner, but considering the Pedal had 2 wires pinned backwards and we are getting nothing from the MAF/IAT... quality might not match the price

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    ... This is supposed to be about a $600 wiring harness according to the owner, but considering the Pedal had 2 wires pinned backwards and we are getting nothing from the MAF/IAT... quality might not match the price ...

If you (or your customer) only paid $600 for a new, custom made, standalone E38 and T42 wiring harness - then the quality does indeed match the price.

A $600 wiring harness will be from an "economy" supplier.

A high quality version from a premium supplier would cost near twice that amount.

Tuner in Training
    Don't forget the DTC's for the theft, I think P1629-1632 if I remember correctly. Starter relay P0615 also. Set to no report

Advanced Tuner
    Shrek he bought it. I havent used too many from varying places. Ive used BP Automotive stuff at the same price point, and its always been good quality. Current Performance seems good too. They are a bit more than BP though. The S10 I did with a Current system I think was more along 12-1500. Normally I deal with Gen 3 swaps

Kfed I will check those as well. Thanks!