Thread: 2010 Camaro 6L80E 4500 converter not staying locked up

Potential Tuner

2010 Camaro 6L80E 4500 converter not staying locked up

Here is my current tune.

Car info
    Texas Speed steel block 408 with one of their boost cams
    78/75 BW turbo
    Trans has unknown brand billet 4500 converter

Car is more of a street car and for such a big stall its fairly tight and cruises at low rpm fine. I'm having the issue of the converter not staying locked up which makes it run hot at highway speeds. Before I start making changes with little knowledge of transmission tuning, Im asking for some advice and help. Converter will unlock and lock with little accelerator movement. Id prefer to change it to lockup only in 5th and 6th. But Id also love someone to look at the tune and see if any other changes should be made for the power level such as line pressures and shift timing. It has of course been tuned and has had from what I can tell most of the normal trans tune changes made for the converter.

Also willing to pay for the help if need be. Car only has 20k miles and 2k on all the performance changes. I don't think trans was gone thru necessarily, but when converter was done clutch pack with extra performance clutches is said to have been installed. Besides the lockup issue it also seems to REALLY cut power on shifts. It may just be a combination of the big stall speed and the torque management. On hard throttle say shifting at 6k, power cuts rpm goes to say 3k then immediately jumps up to the close to 5k stall speed. Ive not had such a large converter on these trannys so not sure how that part of it should act.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Shouldn't be acting like that on the shifts. Disclaimer, I have no experience with built 6L80's. Somebody more knowledgeable will hopefully tag in to help.

But just some really obvious stuff that stuck out...
    [TCM]15440 should have negative numbers in it. Try as per the screen shot as a test. The -0.3 means on the shift use 30% LESS torque management. I.e. setting 0 = full factory torque management (pussy), -1 = no torque management (bad).

It won't hurt to throw some shift time back into it to give the TCM something to aim for. Check out the screen shots. Again, just a simple test.

Your torque converter lock / unlock settings for 6th in particular are quite tight. That is why you are getting the lock / unlock cycling. Consider the blue cat trans tool. Have to watch lock up speeds as they need to compliment your shift points.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Shouldn't be acting like that on the shifts. Disclaimer, I have no experience with built 6L80's. Somebody more knowledgeable will hopefully tag in to help.

But just some really obvious stuff that stuck out...
    [TCM]15440 should have negative numbers in it. Try as per the screen shot as a test. The -0.3 means on the shift use 30% LESS torque management. I.e. setting 0 = full factory torque management (pussy), -1 = no torque management (bad).

It won't hurt to throw some shift time back into it to give the TCM something to aim for. Check out the screen shots. Again, just a simple test.

Your torque converter lock / unlock settings for 6th in particular are quite tight. That is why you are getting the lock / unlock cycling. Consider the blue cat trans tool. Have to watch lock up speeds as they need to compliment your shift points.
    Greatly appreciate the input. Ill start there and see what happens.

Tuner in Training
    I am running a 6L90 on a 525hp GM performance LS3 and using a 3400 stall (E67 with T43 in trans). I do not get that type of shift as you describe. I have a slightly modified trans similar to what you are running. I used the blue cat trans tool, and increased my oncoming pressures. Overall works great in 3-6, but my complaint is that its not very snappy in the 1-2 gears. Anyways, take a look at what I am running as a reference since it is a similar setup and while not perfect, it would be a large improvement over your current symptoms
    Attached Files Attached Files

Neff---Go to Engine--Spark--Minimun spark (base) and (Torque mgt)---and remove some negative timing. I posted my charts.
    Go to Trans--Shift pressure--Adaptive--Oncoming pressure preset and set 1-2 shift like this. Pic attached, you may want to change some of this, but see if that makes the shifts quicker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Lakegoat!

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Neff---Go to Engine--Spark--Minimun spark (base) and (Torque mgt)---and remove some negative timing. I posted my charts.
    Go to Trans--Shift pressure--Adaptive--Oncoming pressure preset and set 1-2 shift like this. Pic attached, you may want to change some of this, but see if that makes the shifts quicker.
    100% DO NOT DO THIS. If it is dropping timing that far on the shift, its because it knows it will miss the shift or the shift timing requested will not be possible. Forcing higher timing is literally just powering through a shit shift and will result in a failed trans. You need to log it with proper channels and layout to determine if the clutch isnt coming on fast enough, or if the pre fill isnt proper/ not enough base pressure, etc. There is clearly an issue that you will just be masking until you force the clutches to fail. P.S. not being a dick, hoping this helps save a trans