Thread: Synchronizing 2 GPS files? + Video (Aim data + GoPro data & Video)

Potential Tuner

Synchronizing 2 GPS files? + Video (Aim data + GoPro data & Video)

By far the most time consuming part of using RR is syncing up my data & video files - and it is always a hair off. Is there a way to synchronize GPS coordinates from my Aim csv file with that which is captured through my GoPro so that I can quickly sync up the files? It seems that RR will quickly align the GPS and the video from the GoPro but the aim file is always PITA process.

The other tricky part is if the start finish line aren't the same in both the GoPro and Aim files.

The RR instructions basically tell me to align the files manually. Well, that doesn't solve the problem.
    Last edited by SphinxRacing; 08-24-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you use the Side by Side button, you can scroll to a specific point in the video on the right, and then choose a Data Event in the data file to synchronize to that point. Some common ones might be "Movement: Start moving after being stopped" and "Lap: First time crossing start/finish line (Lap 1 start)" which should automatically scroll to that point in the data file (depending on what's available in your data file). That's probably the easiest way to synch multiple files: just pick the same Data Event for each of the data files.

I've found that time in the data file from the GoPro data can be up to a half second off of the data I capture in RaceChrono, but aligning the point where I start moving in the video with the data gets me 95% of the way there. I fortunately have my gauges visible in my video; so I can fine tune matching the tachometer in my data with exactly what's displayed in the video.

One tip with aligning the video and data is that you can hold the Shift button down to move half as much as a button normally would. So, clicking the single right would normally move the data file 2 frames forward at 60fps (or 1 frame at 30fps), but holding shift will move it only 1 frame forward at 60fps (or half a frame at 30fps). Once I get the movement mostly matched in the video with when the data starts moving, then I can move just a few frames to exactly match everything up after I watch the video and data a few times.

Potential Tuner
    @SphinxRacing - I've been using Harry's Lap Timer with my GoPro 10 and sync'ing in Mac RR which like you say can be a PITA. I'm considering getting an AIM Solo DL and using with the GoPro. In the year since you first posted this, have you found any tricks or techniques to make sync'ing the AIM data and the GoPro any easier?