Thread: 2016 pcm with 04 motor

Tuner in Training

2016 pcm with 04 motor

Goal is to not but a 1200$ standalone tcm for an 8hp tranny swap. Can it be done? Other than disabling Eagle features not found in pre-eagle motors what other obstacles could I encounter while tuning. I honestly only see an up side with an added 8spd trans support. A pcm is running for less than 250$ and I?m good at wiring

Tuner in Training
    If you really wanted to try and go this route the first thing that you would have to change is the tone ring on the crankshaft. The 2013+ motors utilize a 58 tooth reluctor and the earlier motors use the 32 tooth setup.

Now, for the camshaft. The 2009+ Eagle motors have a cam phaser and the 2008 and earlier motors do not so you would need to find a cam gear that is compatible with the GPEC engine controller that will bolt up to the 2004 camshaft.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you fastMopar, I had to put a pin in the idea for a while. I bought an extra pre eagle motor was considering building it, with your info I think I can achieve a good concept of what improvements/changes to do. Is there any reason I can?t just throw in 2016 bottom end and cam? I?ll look up the specs for bearing sizing and such after work.