Thread: Cat temperature B1S1

Tuner in Training

Cat temperature B1S1

Can anyone tell me if "Cat Temp B1S1" PID available on the scanner is sourced via the O2 sensor and is it a reliable indication of exhaust temperature. I am using it on a 2.3 ecoboost which is going rich under exhaust temp protection and it would be nice to know what the temperature is.

Advanced Tuner
    As far as I know it's inferred, calibrated via exhaust->temperature tab.

This is correct. It's just an inferred value. I typically disable it so there are no issues.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Tuner in Training
    Are you not concerned of possible engine damage?

The reason I am so interested in this is because I'm running the motor in a jetboat and of course it is going to be under sustained load at times which is likely to make this a more critical issue than running in a car.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-26-2021 at 11:48 PM.

I've never done it in a setup like yours where there is long periods of sustained high load. You may want to add an external EGT setup to monitor temps to avoid too high of exhaust temps. I believe those settings are more for catalyst protection more than anything though.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, mostly cat and o2 sensor protection.

The cat temp PID could be used instead of an actual EGT probe, but it would have to be calibrated for the exact exhaust setup being used... Which would need a temp probe installed anyway.

I probably wouldn't worry a ton about sustained running causing issues, as long as timing and fuel are reasonable, it should stay safe.
    The engine has a temp probe in the head above the exhaust "manifold" for overheating protection anyway, if things got too crazy, I'm pretty sure it would dump into failsafe cooling and dump fuel to cool things off.

I would just weld in an EGT bung ahead of the wideband O2 though.

Tuner in Training
    Had a look at CHT sensor and found it disabled in tune. Also found it disabled on mustang tune and focus RS tune. Interested in your thoughts on this.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh, forgot to say, the CHT doesn't have a PID sadly.
    It's one of those things that happen in the background, only there if things go really bad.
    No idea why they did that, it would have been just as easy to use it for the CHT gauge (which is inferred from coolant and ambient air temp on the Mustang and RS) and have the over temp failsafe, but that's engineers for ya.

EGT probe is still your best bet IMO.

Tuner in Training
    There is an actual CHT sensor screwed into the head above the exhaust outlet immediately before where the turbo housing is bolted to the head. There is also an ECT sensor screwed into the coolant ducting at the rear of the engine so they are surely using that for engine temp.