Thread: 2018 Camaro ZL1 DTC P0340 Cam Position Sensor P0016 Cam to Crank Correlation

Tuner

2018 Camaro ZL1 DTC P0340 Cam Position Sensor P0016 Cam to Crank Correlation

Putting this out there for information in case someone runs into this problem. I am sure at some point that somebody will be working on a car that has had a cam swap or engine replacement and have this issue on a Gen 5 platform so i hope this helps. Car is a 2018 Camaro ZL1 with low mileage, Dtc's P0340 and P0016 were setting, the Dtc's would set intermittently, the tach would stop working and you could hear the car misfire, sometimes when you would try and start the car it would stall immediately. Checked EVERYTHING, i checked the wiring harness for chaffing, i checked connector x106 for rubbing on the ac belt like they typically do (connector that plugs into the cam jumper harness) no problem found, i resistance checked all 3 wires and load tested them, all test fine, terminal tension is good on all terminals tested, hooked up a picoscope and on the trace i could see that the cam signal is inconsistent when the problem would happen. I checked the ECU terminals and the terminals for x106 cam sensor connector all appear to be clean. Find out that the vehicle had a new engine installed within the last 1-2 months. Upon further inspection, i removed the connector cover off of X106 and find corrosion only on the sides of the terminals, none on the inside of the terminals or on the crimp portion. This whole problem was created by coolant getting inside the connector that was never cleaned out and ended up causing corrosion in a short amount of time. Replaced the connector with new terminals and it fixed the problem!
    Last edited by 01SLPSSM6; 08-26-2021 at 10:50 PM.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the heads up. Nice to hear that someone else actually uses the picoscope too. Great tool that is underutilized.