Thread: New to the 6.0 diesel

Potential Tuner

New to the 6.0 diesel

I'm a newbie when it comes to diesel tuning. This is my first. I've done a lot of turbo Subaru tuning via open source tuning, but this is clearly completely different.

My 03 Excursion 6.0 has a newer FICM with an 80hp Atlas tune from PHP, so I'm unable to access the FICM module at all.

My understanding based on some research is that most of the power comes from fueling, a bit from timing and almost none from additional boost. I have several questions:

1. While looking at my file, I don't see any kind of mass desired fuel table. Is this something that is contained in the FICM module or am i just missing it? Screenshot of this area attached.

2. For adding timing, what is safe and where? 1 degree increments? The truck is not studded, but I will be getting studs done as soon as needed.

3. For boost, do I just increase the max map table? What about inferred map?

4. Do i keep torque management and just increase the table some or disable it?

5. Finally, I've got a No Limit 5" diameter intake. What's the preferred method of scaling the MAF sensor?

Sorry for all the questions, hoping someone is willing to help.

Thanks!

diesel fueling.JPG
    Last edited by Rtbrjason; 08-27-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Potential Tuner
    New to diesel tuning, any advice greatly appreciated. 04 6.0 with a couple thousand Km on since "bulletproofed" (head gaskets,studs,EGR delete, large oil cooler) and and apparently new transmission witch how good it shifts I do believe. Always looking to push my luck as far as possible with power keeping in mind will be towing 1/4 of the time. Any info or direction on what is over doing it would be great, don't mind being a gienie pig and definitely interested in tuning FICM . Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Any info on having "stand alone" set up to remove anything at all truck doesn't need would be nice as well because truck has been tampered with in electrical panel previously and time to time tends to cause headaches along with also i have an 05 PSD (04 duramax,05.5 Cummin) that have Atlantic Canada truck issues (aka alot of body rot issue that ends up causing wiring harness wear and chafe along with tons of curriosion in fuse panels) all for off road use so simple and stand alone ready to swap into anything is preferred.

Your mass fuel desired comes from the pedal table. (Make sure what ever changes you make to the pedal table, you also copy it over to pedal table copy.)

For timing if your on stock bolts, stick around 8 degrees peak timing (8.5 if you really want to push it.)

To increase boost if your still on a stock style VGT you increase desired EBP and associated limiters for boost and EBP (inferred and maximum map are exactly what they say they are.)

6.0s dont use MAF other than for some EGR functions it doesnt affect any fueling calculations etc.

For fooling the ficm for more commanded pw/fuel you can hack the ICP transfer functions (wrong way to do it)

Or the “right” way to do it is to actually tune the ficm.

FICM contains injector pw tables

If you want to tune the ficm yourself, you could always return it back to stock (if you have their handheld) and then read it. (Ill give you a VR stock read of the software version that?s on it as the FICM isnt readable.
    Last edited by PSM 6.4; 01-10-2022 at 03:09 PM.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Your mass fuel desired comes from the pedal table. (Make sure what ever changes you make to the pedal table, you also copy it over to pedal table copy.)

For timing if your on stock bolts, stick around 8 degrees peak timing (8.5 if you really want to push it.)

To increase boost if your still on a stock style VGT you increase desired EBP and associated limiters for boost and EBP (inferred and maximum map are exactly what they say they are.)

6.0s dont use MAF other than for some EGR functions it doesnt affect any fueling calculations etc.

For fooling the ficm for more commanded pw/fuel you can hack the ICP transfer functions (wrong way to do it)

Or the “right” way to do it is to actually tune the ficm.

FICM contains injector pw tables

If you want to tune the ficm yourself, you could always return it back to stock (if you have their handheld) and then read it. (Ill give you a VR stock read of the software version that?s on it as the FICM isnt readable.
    Is it possible to just flash a stock ficm file or can you not even see the ficm in the read out? I?ve had good luck with ficm tuning my self. Dono if I?m right or wrong but I feel it in the butt dyno

Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    Is it possible to just flash a stock ficm file or can you not even see the ficm in the read out? I?ve had good luck with ficm tuning my self. Dono if I?m right or wrong but I feel it in the butt dyno

HPT doesn’t support reading of the binary off of the ficm. What it does do though is when you click “read”, is it checks the software version on the ficm and then supplies a stock “virtual read” (a stock file from their source) and allows you to tune it.

Lost your original ficm file and you want another stock ficm file? Just click read again on the ficm.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB