Thread: hunting Idle after trans rebuild (Update)

hunting Idle after trans rebuild (FIXED)

Hi all,

I started this thread in the transmission section as the issue started the day I picked the truck up from having the 4L60 rebuilt. I have a log of the issue now, hunting idle, it starts at 2:06 and gets worse from there until I start moving again. I am not a tuner, so can't really figure out what I'm looking at in the log, but it appears to me that the timing is getting pulled and then the RPMs drop. If that is the case, can somebody give me some insight as to why this is happening, or if it's something else, could you point me in the right direction? I've looked at everything the rebuilder would have been around, exhaust, O2 sensors, air intake, trans wiring, etc, and it all looks fine. I still feel it's something the rebuilder did accidently, or possibly it's still trans related, as this truck has never done this in the 14 years I've owned it. Below is the log and below that is the original post I have in the transmission section (I am unable to delete that thread). My tune is at the end. I'll search for "hunting idle" and see what comes up as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

20210830 A.hpl

Placing this in this forum even though it's a running issue as it started after the trans rebuild and I hope someone has some ideas as to what is going on. I've tried searching for this issue, but haven't found anything yet, or I'm not stating the issue properly. 2006 Silverado, 5.3/4L60, mild cam, headers, no cats, tuned on a dyno in 2010 (not by me), 318hp to ground. This truck besides the transmission, has performed flawlessly since 2007 when I bought it, never any issues, always ran perfect. Well, I just had the 4L60 rebuilt (again!!) and after I picked up the truck, sometimes while stopped in gear the idle will hunt, RPM goes from ~500-~700; it has never done this before. It doesn?t do this all the time, and as far as I can tell, it only does it in gear. One morning it did it at every stop on my way to work, and on the way home it didn?t do it at all. I?ve driven it for a while today while logging, and of course it didn?t do it. My thinking is maybe it?s a TCC or solenoid issue, but these are just guesses. NOTES: I?ve put on a few hundred miles since picking it up, truck appears to shift fine, never any issues while moving or in park/neutral, the outside temps are always above 90* (Phoenix), upgraded parts were installed, extra clutches, etc, stock converter stall, dropped line pressure per rebuilder recommendation (back to stock) but issue there before and after upload, never had running issues prior to rebuild.

I?m by no means a tuner, so please forgive my ignorance and unfortunately all the logs I have do not show the hunting idle yet. I?ve setup the scanner to log a bunch of trans PIDs, if there are any others I should be logging to help see what?s happening, please let me know. What I did notice is it seems like the TCC is not unlocking when the brake is applied (10:27:46), and it also seems like its staying locked in 1st (10:30:19), which looking at my program that shouldn?t happen (?). I?ve checked the wiring, and all appears to be fine, nothing disconnected, no broken connectors, etc. Not sure what else to look at, and I?ll continue to log to see if I can actually capture the hunting idle.

This is the 2nd time rebuilding the trans, the 1st time I pulled and installed with no issues (2017?). Here, I dropped the truck off, so can?t verify any parts, work done, etc. Any help, ideas and/or guidance is greatly appreciated!!

20210828 ver B.hpt
    Last edited by Brendang2000; 11-17-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Beginning to think it's temperature related as it seems to do it every morning on my way to work, but not on the way home. It also would do it in reverse, but as soon as I switch it into neutral it stops. All the searching I did were for people that are trying to tune for cam swap, 1st start, etc, I've driving this truck ~75k miles and the issue only showed the day the trans was rebuilt, so fairly confident it's not my program but an issue with equipment; either way, I'd like to know how to determine what the cause is. Today I'm going to see if I can find any vacuum leaks as I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

I may have found the cause, the air intake tube (aftermarket) rubber coupler that attaches the tube to the throttlebody was junk, so air must have been bypassing the MAF. I have a new intake on order (backordered?), and will post again after I can make sure no air is getting past the MAF.

let us know if you get the problem solved. It could help people in the future.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vardaman View Post
    let us know if you get the problem solved. It could help people in the future.
    Absolutely! Now if they will just ship the air intake kit

Update.

Finally got the air intake installed and did a long data log, but I still felt the TCC wasn't acting correctly. After the data log, it still showed the converter locking in 1st and 2nd, I drove over to my transmission guy's shop to have him take it for a ride. He put the shifter in 1st, not Drive, and slowly accelerated. The truck would bang something terrible, I assumed it was the converter locking and unlocking, and he's 100% convinced I have a problem. The attached data log is after I installed the new air intake kit, but since I definitely have transmission issues, it's probably not worth looking at. To draw this issue out even longer (ha!), I'll be away for over a month and won't have the trans issues fixed until I return. I'll update after the trans is working correctly.

20210914 a.hpl

Fixed!!!!

Finally back in town and had the tranny fixed. Turns out it was a faulty pressure switch and the tranny was going from 1st to 2nd to 1st over and over, all while not moving and idling. So I probably had 2 issues causing all sorts of noticeable effects, the bad air intake tube and bad pressure switch. Now that those issues are resolved, the truck drives normal again.