Thread: Minor VE change - Car wont idle -ITT zeroed

Tuner in Training

Minor VE change - Car wont idle -ITT zeroed

Hey Guys,

I have come to a point where my car idles half way decent (surges a bit till i blip the throttle and it returns).. But still Tuning in SD mode with MAF disabled and verified that the Injector tip temp table is zeroed out. If i collect data when the car is at operating temp, i get the data and do the typical copy and multiply by half percent, load, car wont idle unless i give it gas.. It will go pig rich (11.5 - 12.3 AFR) . I can go to the VE table, and pull 10% fuel out ( verify the idle zone and only manipulate that area), flash it, and still run like shit. Its like the car will ONLY idle with a certain tune i put in it, and i dont change anything else except VE.

This even occurs if i spend the night smoothing the VE table and take out fuel on the top end (im 11.3 -11.5 AFR at WOT) and not even touch the bottom end and stay the hell out of the idle area - flash the car first thing and bone cold, it wont idle..I dont get it.

I cant make ANY changes in the VE table without it messing up the idle and its restricting me from being able to tune at WOT.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What are your mods? If injector, intake, engine size, etc data is wrong, changes to the VE will also be wrong.

Tuner in Training
    Full top end
    103 tb - etc scalar set to 1780
    Ls7 heads Frankenstein ported
    Greg good cam
    MSD atomic intake Tony Mamo ported -manifold volume roughly set to 11,3~~
    72 lb injectors
    And all standard bolt ons.

It's stock ls7 shortblock and the e38 it comes with. It runs like a freight train and just rich up top in SD mode.

Looking up 72lb injectors and comparing it to your file shows to be WAY off. I would start by inputting good known info and tune from there.

Senior Tuner
    dont zero out the inj temp offset table it needs to be adjusted correctly

Tuner in Training
    I got the data from Fuel injector clinic.. they provide very accurate injector data

Tuner in Training
    And by the way, since doubled the stoich AFR, i cut the flow rate data in half to compensate.. so thats why you see a 50% deviation in the injector flow rate data.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe the ITT is set to zero from the factory on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by fast5ooh View Post
    Full top end
    103 tb - etc scalar set to 1780
    Ls7 heads Frankenstein ported
    Greg good cam
    MSD atomic intake Tony Mamo ported -manifold volume roughly set to 11,3~~
    72 lb injectors
    And all standard bolt ons.

It's stock ls7 shortblock and the e38 it comes with. It runs like a freight train and just rich up top in SD mode.
    Cam specs?
    Are they actual FIC injectors?

And by the way, since doubled the stoich AFR, i cut the flow rate data in half to compensate.. so thats why you see a 50% deviation in the injector flow rate data.
    Again, if they are actual FIC injectors, great. You also need to input the correct short pulse adder table. Multiply your IVT Term table by 50% as well.

Tuner in Training
    I don't remember changing the ITT, so you may be correct. I will verify the stock base tune.

It's a spec cam from Greg good but cut by Texas speed. If I had to estimate, it would be the similar to their 4.2 which is

Cam Specs: 248/260, .657"/.655", 111 LSA, 108 ICL

Yes, I purchased directly from FIC.

I will double check the short pulse adder and the IVT terms.

Are they 660 CC 72lb hr FIC injectors? I pulled up the data on their website and it does not much what is in your tune.

Tuner in Training
    Yes they are.. i re-verified the file as well and that is where i am pulling the data from, the 660cc data. I mentioned above, the data exceeds the HP tuners flow rate vs pressure. The only way it fits is by doubling the AFR stoich, and reducing that flow rate vs pressure by 50%.

I attached your IFR vs KPA and a screenshot of the FIC IFR vs KPA table. Am I just looking at this wrong or?

Current IFRvsKPA.PNG

FIC 660 IFRvsKPA.PNG

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith View Post
    I attached your IFR vs KPA and a screenshot of the FIC IFR vs KPA table. Am I just looking at this wrong or?

Current IFRvsKPA.PNG

FIC 660 IFRvsKPA.PNG
    He said he's halving the IFR and doubling the stoich.

E40, early E38, and early E67 have a hard limit of 63lb/hr IFR. Can't enter anything bigger than that in the little boxes, so his tune is scaled by 50%.

Stoich has been doubled, IFR halved, but looks like the IVT - AFR Term got missed. That should be cut in half too.

It appears I 100% missed this comment. What is the need to double stoich AFR? NVM I REALLY JUST CANT READ. 50% scaled........
    Last edited by Sith; 10-18-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    thanks @blindsquirrel , i will give that a shot and see if that changes anything.

I think i am going to get out of SD mode and tighten up the MAF tuning to see if that helps with the idle.