Thread: MPVI2+ Stuck at "Reading from interface..." after failed firmware update

Potential Tuner

MPVI2+ Stuck at "Reading from interface..." after failed firmware update

Hi all... MPVI2+ came this week, so I downloaded and installed the latest HPT suite (4.10.5) onto my Win10 laptop, then connected the new MPVI2+ dongle. It indicated there was a firmware update available, tried to update, and then failed to do so. Subsequently when I click "Retry" under Resync Interface, it simply indicates "Reading from interface..." and does nothing and sits there forever.

When I click Retry, the STAT light on the dongle (which is normally flashing slow green when plugged into the laptop) flashes white three times, then returns to a slow green blink.

I have restarted Windows a couple times, and see the same behavior each time.

I also tried the beta VCM Suite (4.11.258 Beta) but see the exact same behavior.

Is there a way to re-initiate the firmware update, or is this essentially bricked out of the box?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would suggest opening a support ticket so we can troubleshoot your issue further, unfortunately this issue isn't something we can troubleshoot via the forum. https://support.hptuners.com/
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I would suggest opening a support ticket so we can troubleshoot your issue further, unfortunately this issue isn't something we can troubleshoot via the forum. https://support.hptuners.com/
    Ticket 22458, thanks Bill.

Tuner in Training
    Experiencing same issue here. Device was functional and now hangs up at the same place. Any updates on how you resolved this issue?

Tuner in Training
    PEBKAC--this was on me. In case anyone else with limited experience ever has the same issue, the MPVI2 device required a firmware update. I didn't realize you have to plug the device into your vehicle and your computer to trigger the firmware download. Problem solved!

Potential Tuner
    so am having the same issue almost word for word, i have a mpvi3 got it a week ago and went to update it and it gets hung up as well even tried it in the vehicle and with different computers and cables any thoughts?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian N View Post
    so am having the same issue almost word for word, i have a mpvi3 got it a week ago and went to update it and it gets hung up as well even tried it in the vehicle and with different computers and cables any thoughts?
    I was able to resolve the issue by plugging the MPVI into my laptop and into the OBDII port on my truck at the same time, while connected to wifi/internet. Once connected to the truck with the scanner open, it recognized the need for a firmware update and completed the whole process in a couple of minutes. I haven't seen this issue since.

Hope you're able to get it resolved quickly

Potential Tuner
    i have tried to just let it set and connect it just stays at reading from interface it will flash white a few times and go back to slow green flash honestly i want to get it back to working condition because i saved up for this thing for the longest and one week is all it last

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian N View Post
    i have tried to just let it set and connect it just stays at reading from interface it will flash white a few times and go back to slow green flash honestly i want to get it back to working condition because i saved up for this thing for the longest and one week is all it last
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com

Potential Tuner
    yes i have a ticket number i didnt have the debug log attached with the ticket
    ticket number (68065)

Potential Tuner
    okay made a new ticket with debug file linked ticket number 68094

Potential Tuner
    Okay so Charlie G from the support reached out and told me to download the beta version and it updated almost immediately

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    awesome, glad to hear!

Potential Tuner
    I just had this problem

To fix I load current beta version of vcm suite launch vcm scanner connect to the vehicle like your going to datalog and it triggerd the firmware update
    before this i tried to resync from vcm editor rtd flash and vcm scanner and it would just say "Reading from interface..." and sits there forever.

Potential Tuner
    Any update on this from users? My MPVI2+ is doing the same thing. And now it's just stuck there. Won't connect, won't read, won't even connect to the scanner anymore. I opened a ticket but they don't want to help anymore since I tried it on a Mac running windows (I understand that part), even though it also wasn't working on a native windows.