Thread: 2013 PX ranger p5 3.2 diesel falling boost

Potential Tuner

Unhappy 2013 PX ranger p5 3.2 diesel falling boost

new to diesel tuning i have been trying to raise the boost to 270kpa up to 3750. i have changed every boost table, torque table and even set the wastegate duty cycle to 70% for all high load 3000-4000. yet no matter what i changed requested boost and boost slowly drops off after 2700 rpm. are there tables missing from hptuners required to get the job done? also on the scanner aside from boost and rpm there is basically no useful pids to log?

thanks in advance for anyones input.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by rogetech View Post
    new to diesel tuning i have been trying to raise the boost to 270kpa up to 3750. i have changed every boost table, torque table and even set the wastegate duty cycle to 70% for all high load 3000-4000. yet no matter what i changed requested boost and boost slowly drops off after 2700 rpm. are there tables missing from hptuners required to get the job done? also on the scanner aside from boost and rpm there is basically no useful pids to log?

thanks in advance for anyones input.
    If you post up the datalog - then we will know what is going on.
    Infatuated by advancing acceleration in one hell of an aggressive manner.

PPEI.com

Tuner
    My 2c...
    Why do you want extra boost? The fuelling is still all stock except where you've removed fuel in INJ PW table ECM19393. Put this table and ECM19395 back to stock.
    Lifting the torque limits (what you've done) shouldn't require fiddling with boost to achieve the extra torque unless your EGT's are excessive or your AFR is wrong.

If you still want to change boost have a look at table [ECM] 25610 - Boost Actuator Max Position and try bumping it up 5% in the relevant places and measure. The turbo won't make boost pressure if the VGT isn't closed enough.
    Be aware that just because you get extra boost doesn't mean you'll get more oxygen (as the air heats up from extra compression), so track your MAF reading to make sure you're getting value from the boost seting.

FWIW, your EGR settings are still stock under EXHAUST.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    My 2c...
    Why do you want extra boost? The fuelling is still all stock except where you've removed fuel in INJ PW table ECM19393. Put this table and ECM19395 back to stock.
    Lifting the torque limits (what you've done) shouldn't require fiddling with boost to achieve the extra torque unless your EGT's are excessive or your AFR is wrong.

If you still want to change boost have a look at table [ECM] 25610 - Boost Actuator Max Position and try bumping it up 5% in the relevant places and measure. The turbo won't make boost pressure if the VGT isn't closed enough.
    Be aware that just because you get extra boost doesn't mean you'll get more oxygen (as the air heats up from extra compression), so track your MAF reading to make sure you're getting value from the boost seting.

FWIW, your EGR settings are still stock under EXHAUST.
    hi the engine is new with new fuel system and turbo and blanked egr even with the stock tune getting high egts while towing heavy loads. its not excessively rich in this area but wanted to add more boost/air to help cool egts and raise afr without losing to much torque. and it worked up to 2500 rpm.

as for the fuel table as soon as i requested more torque, above 3000 afr at the pipe went from 21 to 17 and corresponded with the increase of rail pressure from 160mpa to 180mpa. if there was a rail pressure table i would have probably tried dropping the pressure.

as far as the vgt i change them all up 10% in that area made no difference, so i made them all 70% same no difference just more erratic. and live data from g-scan during run shows requested boost and wastegate mirroring each other. so something is telling the boost to drop but i cant see it anywhere in the software.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluessmax View Post
    If you post up the datalog - then we will know what is going on.
    hi there was no useful data with the scanner so all i have is videos of the g-scan live data. i have tried to upload but its not working, so maybe i cant post zip files or video files on this forum?

Tuner
    What do you call high EGT? Where are you measuring?
    We really do need an HPT scan (so we can read it) to add any value. If you're logging sensible parameters, then a scan is always useful. If you don't know what to log, then call out. If you aren't getting useful scan data then how will you know what your changes are doing?
    DO NOT drop the fuel pressure (yes it's an available table) as this will only increase EGT's especially if you're demanding more fuel.
    There are a bunch more tables that might be relevant but HPT sometimes cryptically or incorrectly names them (eg. Fuel Temp1 is Injector temp and Fuel Temp2 is Fuel Rail temp)

The P5AT/SID208-209 is factory tuned to max out at about 3000 tapering to 3500 then dropping after that, so look for things that help the factory achieve that outcome. Not every table does.
    Ian B

Potential Tuner
    21-09-02 11-04-43.hpl hi here is the scanner log with all the pids that were selectable (useless). im not sure if it is an age thing or a not running beta software thing but this is a 2013 model and there seems to be less tables than required aswell. and he is driving by the egt gauge keeping it under 550 deg Celsius 20cm down the dump pipe after the turbo. do you have a table code for the desired rail pressure?

thankyou

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rogetech View Post
    21-09-02 11-04-43.hpl im not sure if it is an age thing or a not running beta software thing
    Use the BETA software.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    I've bought a forscan adapter so I'll let you know if there's anything interesting in the BCM modules etc. The main things I've modified were the maximum torque table, torque full load, baro pressure torque, and manual transmission +25 lower gears 3rd and above 50+

Deleted EGR via 2048nm table enable. My EGR is on a domin8tor 3" straight through 200 cell cat exhaust max temp around 310 non towing.

Haven't changed timing or pulse width as it's hard to decipher based on the way it's laid out in the tables.. I noticed my pressure table has a different map to yours possibly based on the fact it's a 2012 without DPF?

Tuner in Training
    There's an option to relearn turbo min and max in forscan if that helps.

I'm not sure if these are relevant to what you are trying to do, but I don't think these maps are defined correctly. And they are set below the 270 you said you wanted. I also agree that you should avoid trying to raise the boost until you actually need to.

boost setpoints.jpg