Thread: Universal credits vs GM credits

Tuner in Training

Universal credits vs GM credits

Getting ready to order the MVPI2+ for my 1999 K2500 Suburban L29 7.4 and was trying to figure out the difference between the two.

This will be my first time Tuning. And I already have the VCM suite downloaded.

Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Universal credits=credits that can be used on ANY vehicle that we support, MPVI2/MPVI2+ exclusive

GM credits=credits can only be used on some GM vehicles(anything that doesn't specifically require an MPVI2 device), MPVI1 exclusive
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the Info with the age of my Truck I will go with the Universal ones.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you are purchasing an MPVI2 device universal is the only option. Why anyone would prefer specific over universal is beyond me.

Tuner in Training
    Just ordered the MVPI2+ with the universal credits that I will need.

Question, What is the differences in the MVPI2 and the MVPI2+?

Remember I'm new to tuning but have done SCCA Club racing.

Potential Tuner
    I am a newbie too, trying to install the suite with MPVI2+(hopefully today) and had the same question. How would one know if one's vehicle is in the "some" GM vehicle category or not? I assume my 2006 cobalt ss is in the "universal" category but only on the basis of reading between the lines of this very post/thread. I ask because when I look at the HPtuners supported vehicle list, the column showing how many credits required for each specific vehicle is entitled "Single Vehicle GM or Universal Credits". This suggests to me that either credit will work. Originally, after reading the supported vehicle list, I concluded that I better get the GM credits since my car is a GM vehicle - but now I stand corrected.
    I am curious though - can you give an example of which vehicle requires the GM credits?
    Thx.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saab84mw View Post
    Just ordered the MVPI2+ with the universal credits that I will need.

Question, What is the differences in the MVPI2 and the MVPI2+?

Remember I'm new to tuning but have done SCCA Club racing.
    MPVI2+ has an upgraded pro link cable connector and upgraded usbc speeds, those are the two main advantages https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2plus/

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by weavingi View Post
    I am a newbie too, trying to install the suite with MPVI2+(hopefully today) and had the same question. How would one know if one's vehicle is in the "some" GM vehicle category or not? I assume my 2006 cobalt ss is in the "universal" category but only on the basis of reading between the lines of this very post/thread. I ask because when I look at the HPtuners supported vehicle list, the column showing how many credits required for each specific vehicle is entitled "Single Vehicle GM or Universal Credits". This suggests to me that either credit will work. Originally, after reading the supported vehicle list, I concluded that I better get the GM credits since my car is a GM vehicle - but now I stand corrected.
    I am curious though - can you give an example of which vehicle requires the GM credits?
    Thx.
    If you have an MPVI2 device vehicles require universal credits, its really as simple as that.