Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 GTO: SPS reflash now no start. Issue with BCM/PIM-PIM/PCM communication?

Advanced Tuner

06 GTO: SPS reflash now no start. Issue with BCM/PIM-PIM/PCM communication?

After I reflashed with SPS (using vxdiag) I am getting P0633, and P1629. P0633 resets each time I clear it. P1629 shows up after I try to crank I think. P1632 and P0513 showed up after I disabled VATS to get it to start. I have set all codes to no error for now but I would really prefer not to have the SES flash/chime at each start.

Car was bought used many years ago and I have never had issues like this. PCM/BCM have never been replaced during my ownership. I have tried the relink VATS in the scanner after clearing codes and without clearing codes. I have tried the 30 minute relink with the key, no luck. Both keys also lock/unlock the doors just fine and I have never had to program a new key. Never had issues with random things not working(windows/radio/wipers etc..)

Using the vxdiag with the provided tech2 software I cannot seem to communicate with the PIM/BCM and the relink fails using SPS. The tech2 software from vxdiag does not support SPS pass-through so I couldn?t try that. PCM/BCM were not replaced so I wasn?t expecting to do any relinking after the reflash. I am leaning towards a wiring issue somewhere but I am not sure how these computers talk to each other. Not sure it is CAN. Does anyone have experience with this type of issue?

Extra info for why I reflashed: I have had a few odd issues with torque management not working and idle speeds hitting a floor. Support has been no help unfortunately. Only thing I could think to do is reflash the calibration with SPS. It fixed the idle issue it seems, but have not tested torque management yet.

Probably not much help
    I had a 2010 Colorado that was brought to me with a bad BCM. I hooked up and could not communicate with BCM, So I replaced it, Still no communication. Ended up being a bad ground on one of the "Grounds" (yes plural)...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Probably not much help
    I had a 2010 Colorado that was brought to me with a bad BCM. I hooked up and could not communicate with BCM, So I replaced it, Still no communication. Ended up being a bad ground on one of the "Grounds" (yes plural)...
    Gives me a place to start, thanks.

No, a good place to start would be the GTO service manual.

#PIC4093A: No Crank After Reprogramming ECM - keywords P0633 P1629 BCM ECM ecm immobilizer link module PCM PIM stall start - (Sep 26, 2006)

Subject: No Crank after Reprogramming ECM

Models: 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    No crank after reprogramming an Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Recommendation/Instructions:
    After reprogramming the ECM, it is necessary to link the ECM to the PIM using the following procedure:

First link the BCM to the PIM using the scan tool.
    Then link the ECM to the PIM using pass through programming.

If this procedure was not followed then the ECM will have to be reprogrammed again before the ECM and PIM can be linked with the procedure above.

Note:: You must use pass-through programming when linking the ECM to the PIM.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

#PIC4093A: No Crank After Reprogramming ECM - keywords P0633 P1629 BCM ECM ecm immobilizer link module PCM PIM stall start - (Sep 26, 2006)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    No crank after reprogramming an Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

After reprogramming the ECM, it is necessary to link the ECM to the PIM using the following procedure:

If this procedure was not followed then the ECM will have to be reprogrammed again before the ECM and PIM can be linked with the procedure above.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    GREAT info!!
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

GTOs are weird.

Advanced Tuner

Condition/Concern:

Thanks and yes, I tried that. I cannot communicate with the BCM or PIM with the vxdiag/tech2 software. Pass-through was also failing as the tech2 software said SPS was not supported. The fact that I couldn?t communicate with the BCM/PIM prior to the reflash also led me to question wiring.

I will try again but if I cannot communicate with the BCM/PIM with the tech2 software what else is there to do but check wiring?

If this was a problem before the reflash, then follow the normal diagnostics for P0633/P1629 (all those communication codes share a common page in the manual).

The VCXnano is neat, and it's what I use now that I'm just a home-gamer, but there are lots of things it will not do and will leave you up the creek.

Do you not have the old, offline-only TIS2000 installed? You shouldn't need anything newer than that for a 2006. They stopped releasing updated calibrations for those a long time ago.

Looking over the thread it looks like you have the ability to program the PCM but the process to link PIM, BCM, and PCM is limited because of your hardware limitations. Looks like you need someone with an actual MDI or MDI2 and TLC. If you were local I would give you a hand. SoCal?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Looking over the thread it looks like you have the ability to program the PCM but the process to link PIM, BCM, and PCM is limited because of your hardware limitations. Looks like you need someone with an actual MDI or MDI2 and TLC. If you were local I would give you a hand. SoCal?
    For the OP...
    I'm in North TX
    I have an MDI (not necessarily good with it, LOL, but I'd be glad to help)

Advanced Tuner
    Do you not have the old, offline-only TIS2000 installed? You shouldn't need anything newer than that for a 2006. They stopped releasing updated calibrations for those a long time ago.
    I do not. Could not get it to install, but I will say I did not try to hard to get it installed. Figured the vxdiag/Tech2 and SPS subscription was I needed.

Also, I am going through the diags for the codes. Checking wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I was under the impression all I needed was a J2534 device. TLC is to much $$ for this, so I'll have to ask around or just get to a dealer I guess. I am not in SoCal, thank you though.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    For the OP...
    I'm in North TX
    I have an MDI (not necessarily good with it, LOL, but I'd be glad to help)
    Not in TX, but thank you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    I do not. Could not get it to install, but I will say I did not try to hard to get it installed. Figured the vxdiag/Tech2 and SPS subscription was I needed.

Also, I am going through the diags for the codes. Checking wiring.

I was under the impression all I needed was a J2534 device. TLC is to much $$ for this, so I'll have to ask around or just get to a dealer I guess. I am not in SoCal, thank you though.

Not in TX, but thank you as well.
    Sent you a PM

You need to do the proper PIM security programming anytime you do SPS programming. GTOs are one of the few GM did have a power train interface module.
    The GTO came with a security card with all the info you will need. There are special codes for the BCM that are on that card. If you don't have that card the dealership can do a "key code lookup" and get all the info you will need.
    Once you have the codes, you can do the immobilizer learn with SPS to link the ECM/PIM/BCM together. You cannot do it without the codes and if the BCM is not original, then the codes GM has on file will not work either, just fyi.

Advanced Tuner
    New issue is TDS now does not let me get into SPS. It keeps redirecting me to download TLC software. Tried that and the software says I don't have a TLC subscription when I try to log in.

No wiring issues are standing out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_Customizer View Post
    You need to do the proper PIM security programming anytime you do SPS programming. GTOs are one of the few GM did have a power train interface module.
    The GTO came with a security card with all the info you will need. There are special codes for the BCM that are on that card. If you don't have that card the dealership can do a "key code lookup" and get all the info you will need.
    Once you have the codes, you can do the immobilizer learn with SPS to link the ECM/PIM/BCM together. You cannot do it without the codes and if the BCM is not original, then the codes GM has on file will not work either, just fyi.
    Was not aware of the required relinking. My fault for not reading the service procedure. Are you saying that I need the codes to do any type of linking? Or, if I reflash, I can take care of the relinking without codes at that time? Or, are you saying, since I did not follow the procedure, I need the codes to relink in my current state? That said, If I cannot communicate with the modules, which was the case prior to the reflash, it seems I could be more hardware/software limited that I originally thought. I would like to try reflashing once more following the procedure before I explore different hardware/software solutions.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Anytime you reflash with SPS you will need to relink the immobilizer. I found out the hard way when I bought my 06 GTO in 2008. You need the security codes to complete the process. The lack of communication is interesting, and may be an issue, or may be a result of deleting the codes set for not performing the immobilizer learn. That one I don't know. However, these cars with the PIM are not like the standard GM protocol most people are used to.
    The code is one that is provided with the BCM and is what is needed to complete the learn process. GM has the record of the original BCM code as stated previously. I would try to reprogram with SPS again and then complete the immobilizer learn. Then reassess the communication issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_Customizer View Post
    Anytime you reflash with SPS you will need to relink the immobilizer. I found out the hard way when I bought my 06 GTO in 2008. You need the security codes to complete the process. The lack of communication is interesting, and may be an issue, or may be a result of deleting the codes set for not performing the immobilizer learn. That one I don't know. However, these cars with the PIM are not like the standard GM protocol most people are used to.
    The code is one that is provided with the BCM and is what is needed to complete the learn process. GM has the record of the original BCM code as stated previously. I would try to reprogram with SPS again and then complete the immobilizer learn. Then reassess the communication issue.
    So if you buy a new BCM (say from O'Reillys) does it come with a new link code?
    And if its lost there is no recovery?

Is there a way to scan the code (when everything is working correctly) for future reference?

Not at all questioning your knowledge, trying to enhance mine.
    I have never heard of this and think its great info!!

You don't need a code with Dorman/Cardone/BWD modules, as they won't work anyway so you'd never get to that point of the process.

There is no way to retrieve the code if it is lost. If you are sure it has never been replaced, the dealer can look it up with the key code info...most dealers charge $35-50 for this.
    Aftermarket BCM's do not work. GM had some a few years ago, not sure of inventory now as they seem to have been discontinuing parts since I bought my car...and that was in 2008. However, if they do have new/refurbished ones from GM...they will have the code.
    I have seen a few replacement BCM'S with the security code taped to the case...but I wouldn't count on it being there.

You don't need a code with Dorman/Cardone/BWD modules, as they won't work anyway so you'd never get to that point of the process.
    Understood