Thread: 6.1 hemi 545rfe tuning

Tuner

6.1 hemi 545rfe tuning

Hey everyone i recently did a swap on a 73 Dodge Challenger with a 6.1 545rfe trans combo. I'm using the stock 2004 Dodge ram computer as for this and been wanting to learn how to tune on something like this as i don't like the way the trans shifts etc. Also would like to pick up a few ponies in the hp department as well. The engine and trans are stock for now but i guess my question is , How hard would this be to tune and what would be the first things you guys do ? It runs ok now its just running on the 5.7 tune and stock 545rfe trans tune. I did purchase the mpvi2 as well starting to read up more and more on tuning.

Thanks in advance

Sonny

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpsonny View Post
    Hey everyone i recently did a swap on a 73 Dodge Challenger with a 6.1 545rfe trans combo. I'm using the stock 2004 Dodge ram computer as for this and been wanting to learn how to tune on something like this as i don't like the way the trans shifts etc. Also would like to pick up a few ponies in the hp department as well. The engine and trans are stock for now but i guess my question is , How hard would this be to tune and what would be the first things you guys do ? It runs ok now its just running on the 5.7 tune and stock 545rfe trans tune. I did purchase the mpvi2 as well starting to read up more and more on tuning.

Thanks in advance

Sonny
    You would be amazed at how well that motor would run with a good tune in it. With your 6.1 HEMI running on a 345HP tune you are missing alot of power.

Now, with that being said, you would be doing yourself and your powertrain combination a huge favor by switching to the 2007 and later PCM because there are so many more tuneable items in the 2007+ PCM's.

One of the first things I would do would be switching to the later PCM. Next, I would install a wideband setup so you can see the AFR and get the fueling in order.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fast69mopar View Post
    You would be amazed at how well that motor would run with a good tune in it. With your 6.1 HEMI running on a 345HP tune you are missing alot of power.

Now, with that being said, you would be doing yourself and your powertrain combination a huge favor by switching to the 2007 and later PCM because there are so many more tuneable items in the 2007+ PCM's.

One of the first things I would do would be switching to the later PCM. Next, I would install a wideband setup so you can see the AFR and get the fueling in order.
    Sounds good i will start looking for a newer Pcm and yes i have heard this a lot about leaving a ton of power on the table with what i have .. makes total sense thus why i want to get the car up to its full pontential .

Tuner

I believe i can get a pcm up to 2010 correct ? i have a few options from 07 to 10 computers

Tuner in Training
    Hey. You can use up to a 2012 PCM so a 2010 would be perfect. The trans tuning options in the 2007+ PCM's alone are worth the swap especially in an older vehicle like yours where all of the modules are eliminated from the scenario.

If you have a 2010 PCM from a 5.7/RFE truck that would be my choice.

Tuner
    Hey. You can use up to a 2012 PCM so a 2010 would be perfect. The trans tuning options in the 2007+ PCM's alone are worth the swap especially in an older vehicle like yours where all of the modules are eliminated from the scenario.

If you have a 2010 PCM from a 5.7/RFE truck that would be my choice.

I will keep looking , i haven?t found one as of yet just an 07 pcm right now . But the trans is the thing i hate as it?s sloppy on the shifts and i hate it